The Accurate Reloading Forums
Gary Reeder 7 GNR first range report!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6121043/m/62810439

29 September 2002, 15:57
<wildcat51>
Gary Reeder 7 GNR first range report!
Barrel: Gary Reeder 7 GNR 20" matte blue bull.

Used Federal factory loaded 7-30 waters ammo (non-plated brass) to fire form the 7 GNR brass. Perfect fire formed cases that look like a super improved 7-30 waters with no case loss.

After a few shots at 100 yards I noticed that the groups were extremely tight without even trying. So I decided to shoot a serious group at 100 yards. The first two shots cut one hole and the third went through the same hole but cut a quarter moon cresent to enlarge the hole. Could not believe my eyes. I never shot a group that tight with any rifle much less a contender carbine barrel.

Every group that I shot was total amazing without even trying. I would shoot two groups then clean the barrel and let it cool. About ever other group I would shot a serious group. After fire forming 40 cases I ended up with 5 targets with groups that had three shots in one hole clusters.

This barrel is totally amazing. The 7 GNR is a cool looking case. The barrels shows a lot of promise. Next week I plan working up some loads. May not have to waste much time.

By the way the bullet in the federal factory loads was the nosler 120 grain boat tail flat nose, go figure.

I was also using a Bullberry custom butt stock with a matching hanger bar 10" target forend.

If I get the time I will post a picture of the 7 GNR case beside a factory loaded 7-30 waters.
29 September 2002, 16:09
Magnum Mike
Similar to the 30's??

-
29 September 2002, 17:28
<wildcat51>
The 7 GNR is the 7mm version.

The case walls and shoulder are nicely improved over the 7-30 waters.

If regular loads shoot anything like it did with the fire forming loads, I might have to sell the rest of my barrels. It would be hard to take this barrel off. Just love the engraving he did with white inlay to mark the barrel with his name and the caliber.

Monday I will try to post a comparison pic of the 7 GNR and 7-30 waters.

[ 09-29-2002, 17:55: Message edited by: wildcat51 ]
30 September 2002, 07:50
<Fireball>
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat51:
Barrel: Gary Reeder 7 GNR 20" matte blue bull.

Used Federal factory loaded 7-30 waters ammo (non-plated brass) to fire form the 7 GNR brass. Perfect fire formed cases that look like a super improved 7-30 waters with no case loss.

After a few shots at 100 yards I noticed that the groups were extremely tight without even trying. So I decided to shoot a serious group at 100 yards. The first two shots cut one hole and the third went through the same hole but cut a quarter moon cresent to enlarge the hole. Could not believe my eyes. I never shot a group that tight with any rifle much less a contender carbine barrel.

Every group that I shot was total amazing without even trying. I would shoot two groups then clean the barrel and let it cool. About ever other group I would shot a serious group. After fire forming 40 cases I ended up with 5 targets with groups that had three shots in one hole clusters.

This barrel is totally amazing. The 7 GNR is a cool looking case. The barrels shows a lot of promise. Next week I plan working up some loads. May not have to waste much time.

By the way the bullet in the federal factory loads was the nosler 120 grain boat tail flat nose, go figure.

I was also using a Bullberry custom butt stock with a matching hanger bar 10" target forend.

If I get the time I will post a picture of the 7 GNR case beside a factory loaded 7-30 waters.

Funny how Gary Reader....Dave VanHorn also make accurate barrels for the contenders. You telling me SSK is not the Only game in town?

Bet you have a Good chamber and a centered throat and good rifling dont you?

I just bought a Premium quality 45-70 being machined the way I asked...no arguments no balony..will have it in 3 weeks.

and if it is ANYTHING like my other Vanhorn it will be VERY accurate.
Now I have to get me a Reeder barrel......but what caliber??

Nice to hear you are Happy with a Brand X

Fireball [Razz] [Razz]
30 September 2002, 08:25
<wildcat51>
Gary Reeder claims he has been making contender barrels for a long time and has a share of the market. It just seems that the tight circle that visits here isn't part of that share. Gary Reeder answered all of my questions when I first called so well that I ordered my barrel on the spot.

That was not the case after I talked with at least three other barrel makers in the days before.
30 September 2002, 09:20
Bobby Tomek
Do you have a web address for Reeder?
THANKS!
30 September 2002, 09:43
contender85
Bobby,
Gary Reeders web address is,
www.reedercustomguns.com
Check him out, real nice work, I have the 356GNR and 378GNR barrels for my Contender and am very happy with them.
Mark

[ 09-30-2002, 00:44: Message edited by: contender85 ]
30 September 2002, 11:44
<Fireball>
GAry has been around LONGER than most. He just chooses to NOT BAD MOUTH other but sell his product on its own merits.

Fireball [Razz]
30 September 2002, 12:13
<wildcat51>
Fireball

That is the impression I got from talking with Gary. The day I ordered my barrel our conversation never wondered off topic, much less draw comparisions to other barrel makers or cartridge designs. We talked about the 7 GNR.

But as I was cutting the lawn this afternoon, I almost felt like I should have never mentioned how happy I was with the barrel he made for me.

Simply because I wouldn't wish the wrath of the forum crowd on anybody.

[ 09-30-2002, 03:16: Message edited by: wildcat51 ]
30 September 2002, 13:14
<Fireball>
Understand what you meen!! I used to brag on my Vanhorn and Bullberry stuff and it would start WILD fires Not flames!

Fireball [Wink]
30 September 2002, 13:46
Sean VHA #60013
Fireball wrote: "I used to brag on my Vanhorn and Bullberry stuff and it would start WILD fires Not flames!"

Fireball,

Howdy! I have never seen anyone flame here over Van Horn's stuff. Has this happened when I was busy and away and I missed it? [Confused]

As for other *flame* discussions, I think for the most part the flames come when someone who has only ever had good experiences with a given barrel maker, then DENIES that anyone else could possibly have had a bad experience or a series of bad experiences, or vice-versa that it would be impossible for someone to have had a good or several such good experiences with the barrel maker that gave that particular individual fits.

For example, I have had both good and also terribly bad experiences with T/C. That does not make the person who has had only good experiences WRONG, it just means we have had *different* experiences. For the one to say the other is WRONG in their own experiences is what usually starts the flame wars. BOTH people, each with an opposite experiencial insight, are equally legitimate in their praise or disparagement given their particular experiences, and can BOTH be legitimately correct in reporting knowledge and data learned from their particular and unique encounter.

I do remember some Bullberry customers posting with what sounded to be legitimate complaints, and others who have been nothing but satisfied, and a lengthy discussion ensuing over such things and who was right, though after all is said and done I'd look upon such threads as good healthy discussion [after all, unlike the Pond, discussion is not censored over here [Big Grin] ]. Freedom of information is a good thing [Big Grin]

Hey, even though I mostly shop with VVCG for wood and Bellm for barrels, I still patronize Bullberry from time to time for wood: Just this week I needed a 10-11" free-float 2" target width forend in a hurry: VVCG did not have any made up and Fred did, a 10" with 2" target width [happened to be a premium grade that has a knot that did not finish quite the way he wanted it to, so he knocked it down to utility grade pricing and free S&H and hanger bar & screws for me, which made me very happy!] so I ordered his forend, knowing from my past experiences that his stockwork is also quite excellent [Big Grin]

And as for barrels, I just recently got a 24" Heavy Varmint Contour blued Van Horn Contender barrel in .223 and am very much looking forward to putting it through the paces as well [Big Grin]

wildcat51,

I cannot speak for others, but I'd say for you to feel free to post on Reeder all you like! Again, my understanding of this forum is that it is as much as anything else, all about freedom of discussion/information! I for one do not know the first thing about Reeder's Contender work and would love to be educated on his methods and philosophy etc.

So go ahead and share your experiences with us! [Big Grin]
30 September 2002, 14:40
jsh
wildcat51, glad to here about other quality work as well on my end of it. That is an interesting looking round, like a giant sized version of the 7 Super mag. Is it supposed to have anything over the 7-30, performance wise? I am sure it should have as much of the taper that has been taken out of the case. Keep us updated on the progress of this round, I would be interested to hear about it.
Jeff
01 October 2002, 00:59
<wildcat51>
7-30 waters factory ammo that was used to fireform the 7 GNR.

Reposted pic on new thread.

[ 10-01-2002, 15:54: Message edited by: wildcat51 ]
01 October 2002, 04:40
janehal
Have had Reeder do two barrels,,,TC Carbine,,,,7-30 to 7 GNR and 22 Hornet to K Hornet.....very fast service...good work...cheap....what more to say......they also shoot....Hal