New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best glass for T/C Encore 15"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just starting w/hand gun. better glass burris or leupold. I have leupolds on my rifles. only shooting out to 100 yds. for hogs in so. La. thanks Larry

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I really like Leupold 3x9 Hand Gun Scopes you can keep them dialed down to 3 or 4 power but turn it up if a longer shot presents itself. That being said I have a few 4x Scopes on some of my barrels also. I have three 4 power scopes, one 2x7 scope, and the rest are 3x9's.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass quality would go to Leupold.
A fixed 2x or 4x would be a good choice and be cheaper than a variable.
What is your barrel chambered in?

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am chambered in 308 win. I really like the pro hunter shoots well, bought it with a nikon on it and I dont like it. Maybe I'm stuggling with eer, but the glass and focus jist doesnt seem very good. Your input is appreciated. I have enjoyed the sight the little time I have been on. Thanks Larry T.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the Leupold 2.5-8X VX-3 or similar (i.e., Vari-X or VX-III 2.5.8X). Burris handgun scopes do not have a good reputation either for holding up to handgun recoil or for warranty service.

When you first start handgun hunting, you may want your scope set to a lower power. When you get used to the gun and scope, you'll likely appreciate the higher magnification.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would recommend the Leupold 2.5-8X VX-3

Me too, I have several on contenders that are just great!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
I bought an ultradot to start to help me get use to the hand gun in hunting situations. I will work on some hogs to start. it feels pretty good with this set up. working on some lighter loads for better control to start. the leupold will come next season.
Thanks, Larry

When you first start handgun hunting, you may want your scope set to a lower power. When you get used to the gun and scope, you'll likely appreciate the higher magnification.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Hey chrystech. You got your "quote" wrong. The only part of my alleged quote that was actually from me is the last two sentences.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Hey chrystech. You got your "quote" wrong. The only part of my alleged quote that was actually from me is the last two sentences.

Grumulkin, you are correct it showed up inverted. Sorry about that. I thing the red dot will be a good start for me.
thanks, Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Burris handgun scopes do not have a good reputation either for holding up to handgun recoil or for warranty service.

I have at least a dozen Burris pistol scopes and they are mounted on big boomers: 309JDJ,375JDJ,445SM, 6.5MD JDJ, and 35-06JDJ. I have sent probably 2-3 back for warranty work and I received great service from Burris. It has been several years since I have returned on so maybe their service has declined. Don't know.

Posts: 104 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...old thread with not many replies. Hmmm.
I have a 4x loopy on a 7x30Waters 14", a 4x Burris on 35Rem 15", 4x Burris on a 445 SM, and an old 2 1/2-7 Burris on a 223Rem 14". Never a lick of trouble with any of them after thousands of rounds. I bought the Loopy used too. Never had pistol barrels on my encore. just in rifle trim...a 243 with a Vari x II 4-12. a friend built a 358 Win in a bolt pistol and bought a 3-12 burris and it was bad right out of the bow though and it was sent back.

Posts: 42 | Location: Western Pa. | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2x7 compact Leupold rifle scope on my 14" Match Grade Machined .243 Encore bbl. It has plenty of eye relief for shooting the little kicker. Works great and is really clear at the 100 yd range.

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yaoughtachoke, that is a great looking piece, im building confidence with a red dot on the encore an soon will be ready to step into a scope. great fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No-one like Bushnell?

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote