Find
Notify
Tools

6mm JDJ #2 barrel.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted
Well I've got another toy headed this way, it's a 14" Contender barrel chambered in 6mm JDJ #2.

For all practical purposes it's new, the fella bought a TC 6mm TCU barrel in 1988 and just let it sit till 1995 and then he sent it to SSK for them to rechamber it to 6mm JDJ #2....comes with as new RCBS dies.

I don't feel I got burnt too bad for $***.00 shipped.

I emailed SSK yesterday morning for data and they sent it to me via email but like most data sheets from SSK I've seen, on their calibers, it's sort of lacking.

Anyone onboard ever have or play with a 6mm JDJ #2 ?

Any thoughts on the caliber ?

For bullets I think I'll try some Sierra 80gr SSP's first, does any particular powder come to mind as a 'must try' to anyone ?

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
IKE-

Watch out for the cops. You got a STEAL of a deal there! Big Grin

I've had a 6 JDJ#2 a couple times now. Both were SSK barrels. THe first one was a disappointment, velocity-wise, as it was a "slow" barel and did no better than my 6mm-.223 -- and was actually slower across the board.

The 2nd one gave me an honest 2750 fps with 80 grain bullets and Re-15 (14" barrel). It also did very well with the 70 grain BlitzKing and Re-15.

If I can locate my load data, I will send it along to you.

I do remember that both barrels were exceptionally accurate.

Congrats on the purchase!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IKE I don't know how you can sleep at night making such a deal. CONGRATS as that was indeed a super buy.

I've never had a 6mm JDJ #2, but I have had my share of 6mm-223's & 6mm T/CU's over the years. Generally speaking I have been able to obtain 2650 to 2700 FPS with either the 6mm-223 or 6mm T/CU with 80gr. Bullets in a 14" or 15" Barrel.

You may or may not believe this but one of the longest Whitetail Kills I have ever made (no I didn't say the longest, but one of the longest) was with a Custom Remington XP-100 chambered in 6mm-223 shooting an 80gr. Speer Hot Core Spitzer. I didn't have a range finder in those days, but it was over 320 long paces (I'm 6'2").

I have always had a soft spot for .243/6mm Cartridges as I tend to use them year round for everything from Gophers to Deer. Unfortunately I do not currently have one.

Congrats again on the great buy. Man if that was only Stainless-Steel I'd be trying to trade you out of it.

Larry

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies gents and 'IF' she'll shoot I guess I did do pretty good....maybe what they say is true, "even a blind hog finds a acorn every once in awhile".

Ya know I've noticed that my caliber wants have changed as I'm getting older....I'm 58 1/2 now.

I have and have had my share of pistol length "thumpers"....like 45-70, 338-06, 284 Winch., 6.5-284 and 35 Whelen....but my last couple of barrels have been in 6mm TCU, 6.5mm TCU and now the 6mm JDJ #2 plus when I do find time to go to the range I find myself shooting 22 Long Rifle a little more these days.

You think I'm getting wiser fellas or just turning into a big ole wimp in my old age ?

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well IKE I must be a big ole wimp also then. I have always been a huge fan of the .22 LR Rimfire Cartridge and one of my all time favorite centerfire cartridges is the .223 Remington. I always thought it was due to the fact that I do way more varmint hunting and target shooting than anything else. Now I am finding out I have always been a big ole wimp, cause my wife tells me I sure ain't getting any smarter. That's OK with me as I still like my .22's, Rimfire and Centerfire.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
IKE did you ever get around to shooting that 6mm JDJ #2 Contender Barrel?

Just curious as to the outcome.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering the same thing.

Hoping to hear a good report, Ike!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask....I just got it back yesterday after work.

I'm sorry fellas but I have a weakness, I just like purty guns....with that being said the barrel had some bluing wear here and there, it looked to be from a case rubbing, so even without firing it yet I took it to a gunsnith and friend of mine for a high polish rebluing.

Without exaggerating fellas the new bluing is more mirror like than TC's Hi-Lustre finish and you can actually see your reflection in it....I kinda hate to put a frame rub mark on it now. Smiler

Since I got it I've also picked up two more really minty 14" Contender barrels that also came with dies and brass for pretty good prices. One is a 7mm Intrl-R and the other in 223 AI plus I ran across another used but very low mileage Contender frame for a really good price also.

The only barrel I've fired of the three so far has been 25 rounds of factory Remington 223 through the 223 AI for fire forming Thanksgiving Day morning. I had a problem with the frames barrel selector lever going to center or all the way over to rimfire at each firing.

A couple of fellas on another forum said they had experienced the very same problem and that a new hammer assy. fixed the problem....ole Ed of Ed's Contenders installed a new one for me Tues. free of charge.

I plan on going to the range very early this morning to see if in fact that the new hammer cured my frame problem and to finish fire forming the other 25 rounds of 223 to 223 AI.

No telling when I'll get around to firing and actually working up loads for the three barrels, I've been working six days a week darn near all year and on Sundays I take care of "Honey-Do's" around the house or just plain relax.

Another new addition....I've got a customized, blue Remington Rand M1911 45 acp that I've had for many years and that I used to shoot a modified, informal & umsactioned IPSC type local competition with till most of the shooters sort of drifted away.....Anyway I've got no idea why but I've always wanted a nickel plated M1911-A1 45 acp and after a lot of research I bought a NIB Rock Island Armory at the last gun show for $450.00 OTD. I fired it for the first time also Thanksgiving morning and I "Really" like it.....it's tight, accurate and fired all three types of ammo I fed it flawlessly. My buddy has already nicknamed the shiny handgun "The Pimp Pistol" just wait till he sees it after I located a set of fake pearl or ivory grips for it. Smiler

Update 8:43 am....just returned fron the range and I had no problems with the frame firing off 25 rounds.

How've you two fellas done so far this fall hunting ?

Ike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've been a busy feller there IKE.

I had a pretty good Deer Season, 2 shots = 2 Deer. Other than that I have just been working, and occasionally killin a Coyote that needs killin.

I picked up a SST Super 14 .45 Colt/410 Contender Barrel from Ed back in early October. A buddy and I switched chokes around until we found the right combination that worked good in each of our barrels. I did a bunch of pattern testing, and went out with my yellow lab a couple times but never did get to shoot at a Pheasant. However I carried it in the work vehicle most of the fall and it works great on SKUNKS.

Larry

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

I was fortunate enough to take one of my best bucks ever November 8th using a Monster Bucks rattle box and a custom grunt call made by a friend in South Carolina. I used a TC Encore with a 28" PH barrel in .308 WCF. The load: a 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter ahead of 48.5 grains of Varget. Range: 165 yards, and the buck folded on the spot with a double-lung impact.

For Lavaca County, this is a nice buck. They generally don't get quite that nice around here.

With me are our twins Grady (center) and Andy, who turned 5 earlier this week.

I couldn't decide what to hunt with; I was going back and forth between a 6.5 JDJ pistol and a 7mm Bullberry rifle. At the last minute, I grabbed the Encore.

I took a small 3-point using an old recurve that was given to me in late October. They were chasing does, and I got within 18 yards when he gave me a shot.

The funny thing is: the bow was not strung properly. It held up just fine for maybe 300 shots and then for the shot on the deer, and neither the deer nor me knew the difference.

It has since been restrung but doesn't shoot any better... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
It sounds and looks like both you fellas had a really good deer season.....great buck Bobby.

I hunted Texas several years back on a friends lease down in the south central part of the state, correct me if I'm wrong Bobby but doesn't Texas have a really long season and a very liberal bag and buck & doe limit ?.....as I recall we didn't even have to check the deer in at a check station.

I recall they had a hard time getting started in life but the twins sure are growing up fast and are very fine looking boys Bobby....I know you're very proud of them.

Ike

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ike-

In my area, the season runs from the first weekend of November through the first weekend in January.

The limit is 2 bucks, and one must be a spike or have at least one unbranched antler while the other must have an inside spread of at least 13 inches. The only way to take does here in Lavaca County is during archery season, when you may take 2, or with a permit which is only issued through a special co-op or on a property specifically managed under Parks & Wildlife guidance.

The buck restrictions went into effect a few years ago, and I think it is helping. Still, I know some folks still illegally shoot smaller bucks, but at least enough people abide by it to make it worthwhile.

Some counties to the south and farther west, where deer densities are a good bit higher, have a 5 deer limit, and I believe 3 can be bucks with no restrictions. No special permits are required for antlerless deer.

There is no checking in with deer unless it's on a TPWD hunt.

Yes, the twins are doing great. They are truly little miracles, and I thank God every day for allowing them to be here when the doctors said they basically had no chance. The original prognosis was that Grady had a 20 percent chance of making it and that Andy would never be born alive.

Today, they are doing wonderfully well and have no lasting effects from all they went through.

Grady has 2 shunts (hydrocephalus) and can never play contact sports, but that is minor. Academically, they test out way ahead of their age group.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IKE:
Well I've got another toy headed this way, it's a 14" Contender barrel chambered in 6mm JDJ #2.

For all practical purposes it's new, the fella bought a TC 6mm TCU barrel in 1988 and just let it sit till 1995 and then he sent it to SSK for them to rechamber it to 6mm JDJ #2....comes with as new RCBS dies.

I don't feel I got burnt too bad for $***.00 shipped.

I emailed SSK yesterday morning for data and they sent it to me via email but like most data sheets from SSK I've seen, on their calibers, it's sort of lacking.

Anyone onboard ever have or play with a 6mm JDJ #2 ?

Any thoughts on the caliber ?

For bullets I think I'll try some Sierra 80gr SSP's first, does any particular powder come to mind as a 'must try' to anyone ?

Ike