Notify
Tools

G2 VS ENCORE
 Login/Join

posted
What is the difference between the G2 and the Encore

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Encore is chambered in .308, 30-06, and belted mag based cartridges.

The G2, like all Contenders, is chambered for mid-pressure rounds in larger cases (e.g., 30-30, .35 Rem, 7-30 Waters) or high pressure rounds in smaller cases (e.g., .221, .222, .223, the TCU's)

The G2 is lighter in weight than the Encore, as you might expect.

Cheers,
BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another item of interest about the G-2 is that it is a stronger action the the Contender, but still incapable of chambering the same cartridges as the Encore. The benefit here is there is an extra safety factor with the cartridges that are borderline with the Contender to begin with. I'm not suggesting that one purchases a G-2 so you can rod it higher.

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the virtue of the G-2 is the fact that it will accept existing Contender barrels - of which there are many. Quite a bit lighter than the Encore, but as you would expect, not as strong - although it appears to be considerably more robust than the original Contender. The G-2 has .22 rimfire barrels readily available; I don't think that the Encore does, but I'm not sure. The Encore has more shotgun barrel options than the G-2 for sure. If choosing between the two, I would try to identify the two or three calibers that you are most likely to buy barrels for - then select the frame accordingly. Both the G-2 and the Encore benefit from Mike Bellm's upgrades. I have a G-2 and love it. It meets my needs (wants) very well - targets and silhouettes. For hunting, I suppose that the Encore has more versatility. Probably can't go wrong either way.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
The G2 can be re-cocked without breaking the action
but the trigger ain't as nice.

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote