New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout in a Contender
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone thought about shooting a 300 Blackout in a Contender?
Thanks

Posts: 2661 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

What would be the use to justify spending a couple hundred dollars on a very low powered round?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes

It's a great little cartridge, even for being so "very low powered". Very effective on deer, especially loaded subsonic and shot through a suppressor.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, that makes sense. I tend to think in terms of hunting here in Idaho or over to Africa.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For shooting subsonics, you would need a 1:8 twist barrel that T/C doesn't make. You would have to go with a custom barrel; not a bad thing but it would cost quite a bit more than $200.

A 220 grain bullet at a little over 1,000 fps packs quite a bit of punch. The suppressor quiets the gun a lot and also quiets my wife who used to complain when I shot off the front porch.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I did my first hunting with subsonics and suppressor in Africa.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I stand to be corrected but the 300 Blackout and 300-221 are take offs on the original SSK / JDJ 300 Whisper round and all three are very similiar.

I've have had a 14" TC Contender barrel in 300 Whisper for several years and at one time had a centergrip XP-100 rebarreled in 300 Whisper by Virgin Valley in Utah before they closed the doors plus a 15" TC Encore barrel.....I used all three in IHMSA silhouette matches (different clases) and all were 1 in 10 twists.

I never got around to developing a hunting load for them but interestingly all three liked the below same exact silhouette load and were very accurate.

Rem. 221 Fireball brass...Rem. 71/2 BR primer...18.5 grs. of AA1680...Sierra # 2200 168 gr. HPBT Match bullet.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 10" 300 Whisper that I used for one deer hunt, I wasn't impressed with the round. Shot a small spike at 30 yds just behind the shoulder. He walked off as if unhurt, very little blood. He made close to 200 yds before expiring. I was shooting a 125 gr Rem bullet.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
I had a 10" 300 Whisper that I used for one deer hunt, I wasn't impressed with the round. Shot a small spike at 30 yds just behind the shoulder. He walked off as if unhurt, very little blood. He made close to 200 yds before expiring. I was shooting a 125 gr Rem bullet.

Shoot them with a 220 grain round nose subsonic or with the 110 grain Barnes bullet. Entirely different story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:

Shoot them with a 220 grain round nose subsonic or with the 110 grain Barnes bullet. Entirely different story.

I started shooting them with a 180 gr XTP out of my 357 Max and never had a problem. The 300 Whisper went down the road.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 16" contender barrel in 300 whisper back in 2000. When SBR's became legal again in WA I cut it down to 12". It is very nice when suppressed.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the ever wise MS Hitman stated, with subsonic loads use 220 RN or 240 SMK. the concept is that the bullet starts to tumble, leaving a nasty wound channel. We now also have Lehigh bullets who produce .30 cal bullets that will expand at subsonic velocities. Going supersonic I have had great results using 125gr Nosler BTs.

Posts: 273 | Location: ga. | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an AR pistol in 300 BLK. With my YHM suppressor and a 240gr cast bullet it shoots under 2" at a hundred yds. I shoot the NOE bullet at about 1060+/-fps.

I can also keep a thirty-round magazine full on a six inch bull in about forty seconds.

I would just question doing it in a Contender when there are a number of good rimmed cartridges currently available.

Would a 30 Herrett not do the same thing?

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I would just question doing it in a Contender when there are a number of good rimmed cartridges currently available.

The advantage in a Contender is not having the noise of the bolt opening and closeing. The fact that the 300 Blackout cartridge is rimless is inconsequential as the Contender handles rimless cartridges just fine.

You could do the same with a 30 Herrett if you didn't mind fiddling with reforming and trimming brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

The advantage in a Contender is not having the noise of the bolt opening and closeing. The fact that the 300 Blackout cartridge is rimless is inconsequential as the Contender handles rimless cartridges just fine.

You could do the same with a 30 Herrett if you didn't mind fiddling with reforming and trimming brass.
"fiddling with reforming brass" That is the great thing about the 300 Blackout. Brass is becoming more and more readily available. The lack of available brass, and the fact that the 30-30 would do the same thing from a 14" barrel for practical purposes is what killed the 30 Herrett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the advantage in my AR-pistol is 30 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger...

The Contender will make more noise as you reload (mandatory)) after each shot.

The 30-30 will also shoot any bullet up to 240gr if you have the correct twist, and a lot faster.
If subsonic is the goal, the 30-30 can do that as well.

Always the person who pays for it's decision, but I still see no logical reason, or any other than "I just want one..." to spend the $$$ for one.

The 300 BLK is just a very limited use cartridge.

ISS

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Since my state does not allow suppressors, for some unknown reason, or full automatics either, I always go with the biggest rounds for my Contender possible; no reason for quiet ones. 375 JDJ is my fav. But I also have a 30-30 and I am with Idaho; it is far more versatile. I remember, well, the introduction of the 30 and 35 Herretts; I though they were bad ideas back then and they aren't missed.

Posts: 17011 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure a Contender can be reloaded with less noise then an AR action working.