New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading For Thompson Contender
 Login/Join

posted
Hello new to the forum.

Where I can find raloding data for Thonpson Contender? any specific realoding manual?

Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HFL,

Welcome to the Forum,

Give a few more specifics, caliber especially but to answer your question most of the more recent reloading manuals like Hornady or the new Lyman will have TC specific loading information. I also suggest that you have a look at Mike Bellm Web site at the link below…it is all things TC.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Paul, thank you for the welcome and your response.

I post the same question on the Reloading Forum because I was not sure what was the proper forum.

The caliber/barrels are

44mag TC 10 inches barrel
223 TC 14 inches barrel
223 Bullberry 18 inches barrel

I never reload for this calibers for my TC, I am planning to do target shooting only, any advise regarding bullet, powder, primers, will be very helpful.

So far I have a sugestion from one of the members on the Reloading Forum.
Thank you again
Hugo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra has a single shot pistol section.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Go to www.loadbooks.com/store.html on page four they have a two volume set that covers the Contender.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Sierra, Hornady and Speer manuals all have Contender data. Basically, you want data that's in the 42-43 kPSI max range. That's considered safe in the Contender and will prevent the frame from stretching.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information, I recently purchase a Speer reloading manual (waiting for the arrival).

Also I found a old (1984 that came when I purchase my gun) TC reloading booklet "Making Your Contender Perform"
with 223 reloading data.

It include Speer bullets Gr, IMR 3021,4198and4895 powder and OCL.

I am in CA and reloading supplies are getting more difficult to find, but, I was lucky to find IMR 4198 and Winchester brass.

I have one more question, I was loking at a internet site to purchase Speer bullets but I notice that beside the Gr are several differet classes of bullets, and product numbers, can you please tell me what is the best bullet for target shooting?

Thank you again

Hugo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the older IMR booklets had Contender specific loading data for the rifle rounds like .30-30 and .35 Rem that were chambered in the Contender. The data is out there. You just have to search for it and it may take years to find all that you want.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure that your source matters that much as the .44 Mag and .223 are modern cartridges and as such are standardized. Any load listed should be fine for the Contender and nothing should be specifically for the Contender vs. anything else.This is unlike say an old black powder equivalent load in .45 Colt for a vintage lever action when compared to a Contender.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HFL:

I have one more question, I was loking at a internet site to purchase Speer bullets but I notice that beside the Gr are several differet classes of bullets, and product numbers, can you please tell me what is the best bullet for target shooting?

Thank you again

Hugo

On the Speer site they list bullets for target, plinking, self-defense and hunting. pick either plinking or target if that is all you are going to use them for but if you might use the gun against varmints or game then choose the appropriate bullet.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote