New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sighting in a Ballistic Plex
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an xp 100 in 6.5 x 284. I have a Burris Ballistic Plex scope. How do you guys that have these scopes set them up? The range where I shoot goes from 100-400 yards. I am wondering whether you sight in dead on with the main cross hair at 100 yards or if you sight it in say 1" high at 100 and then use the hash marks from there? Someone said to start at 400 and work my way back. I thought it sounded odd. Any help or tips is very appreciated!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i generally sight to be about 1" high at 200, then with the extra dots i just soot enough to see at what range they will be on

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Pretty much as butchloc said. I usually sight in 1.5 inch high at 100 yds. (your choice dead on, 1 inch high, etc.) then move out to 200 yds. and see where you are hitting compared to the hash mark or circle (depending on your scope brand) then move out to 300 yds. and so on. Some people make a small chart of how the scope is sighted at various ranges and tape it to the side of the scope for quick reference in the field or range.

Steve E.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:Some people make a small chart of how the scope is sighted at various ranges and tape it to the side of the scope for quick reference in the field or range.

That is how i do it with the ballistic reticles i use. I never sacrifice point blank range for the manufacturers system of zeroing their reticles. I just calculate my PBR from a ballistics program and match the reticle stadia measurements to the program and troubleshoot if necessary. Once i get the zeros as close as possible i put the "dope" on a range sticker and then put it in a Butler Creek scope cap cover. That way it's protected, and i can just glance up to it for reference without having to get out of position.

U can adjust the power of the optic to get a better intuitive (even hundred yd. intervals) system also if u want, if the reticle doesn't match up well.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote