New
Find
Notify
Tools

PISTOL BENCHREST SHOOTING
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a surface 9" above the bench to shoot my Competitor and Striker from the bench. This because I must look through the middle part of my trifocals to see the scope, and maybe because of my body shape. Anyhow, I've found that for me, the 9" is required. If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd show the box I use.
Does anyone else shoot pistols from the bench with a raised-a-lot-~9" support?
Thanks;
joe b. Joe Brennan

joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I very occasionally shoot my Ruger MkII pistol from a bench. My dad built for me a sandbag support that has 1/2-inch screws on either end of a platfirm that I can raise or lower on the screws. it works really well for rifles, too. If I knew how to post a picture using Windows 7, I'd do it. I prefer XP. I can post a picture in less than 60 seconds. I lose the file on the hard drive under Windows 7. Very frustrating...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How high above the bench is the pistol when shooting?
Thanks;
joe b.

quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I very occasionally shoot my Ruger MkII pistol from a bench. My dad built for me a sandbag support that has 1/2-inch screws on either end of a platfirm that I can raise or lower on the screws. it works really well for rifles, too. If I knew how to post a picture using Windows 7, I'd do it. I prefer XP. I can post a picture in less than 60 seconds. I lose the file on the hard drive under Windows 7. Very frustrating...

joe b.

Posts: 51 | Location: Marathon, FL | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built this rest a few years ago to help with my pistol bench shooting. I built the frame and attached a cheap rest on top. The rear grip is adjustable as are each corner of the rest. It really helps when doing load developing.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
same problem with Tri focals. one solution has been to have another pair of glasses made with the mid range lens at the top of the glasses, this works great for me now. another way to get the elevation needed would be to make a base with foru by four posts and set an adjustable rest on it, would only have to raise the rest top about 4-5 inches then.
hope this helps. randominator, what part of KY is home, I was born and raised in Hopkins Co.
nmhunter

nmhunter

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of rests that do that, but they are not cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by joeb33050:
I need a surface 9" above the bench to shoot my Competitor and Striker from the bench. This because I must look through the middle part of my trifocals to see the scope, and maybe because of my body shape. Anyhow, I've found that for me, the 9" is required. If I could figure out how to post pictures I'd show the box I use.
Does anyone else shoot pistols from the bench with a raised-a-lot-~9" support?
Thanks;
joe b. Joe Brennan

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
randominator, what part of KY is home, I was born and raised in Hopkins Co.

Hardin Co.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are three pictures of my adjustable sandbag. I have set the top of the bag at nine inches above the deck.

I know my rest is not pretty and sexy and all that, but it works very well. I have shot better groups from this little thing than I have from a $350 Sinclair machine rest-- the kind with the fancy windage top. This thing is stable and stays where you set it. It was also very cheap to build. The sissy bag was $20 and the hardware was about eight bucks. My dad built it for me, so no labor costs can be factored.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great question and useful answers! I have encountered that problem with iron sights, which caused me to go to glass. I have ended up on my knees on the ground with iron.

Where do you shoot around Marathon, or do you go to the mainland? I used to live in KW, and the base had the only range, open to civilians.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with precision rested handgun shooting is that the ideal rest/position includes something the stabilize the elbows and the head. I like to lean seated against something to rest my head on and elbows on sides and gun between knees. This showed me how much resting the head assisted. I used to drag a gun rack behind the bench to lean against to steady my head on.

It seems the perfect rest would support upper body and head, have a place to set elbows, as well as a nice sandbag for the gun.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 15 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 25 February 2010Reply With Quote