Find
Notify
Tools

New 260 Remington on the way.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted
I purchased a new Savage Striker when they first came out, in 7mm-08, and for the past few years I've always regreted selling it....after some trigger work it was a real tack driver.

I've been pondering getting a 260 Remington in something or other for quite awhile and when a brand new Savage Striker came available (factory black stock, stainless with no break) I killed two birds with one stone.

I've been a huge fan of the 6.5x55 cartridge for many years and knowing it seems to show a preference for the slower burning powders plus seeing the 260 is almost the same downrange as the Swede I was wondering if the same powders will work fine in the Striker 260 with it's shorter barrel ?....I currently use RL-22 in my Swedes.

By the way, I'll be needing some low mileage brass and dies for the 260 so if you've got some sitting around collecting dust let me know.

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ike-

CONGRATS on the new toy! Big Grin

The same powders that work best in rifle-length barrels wil also be the top performers in the 14-15" pistols.

But the .260 does not thrive on the same propellants as the Swede.

For me, Re-15 and H4350 have been the cream of the crop with everything from 120-140 grain projectiles in the .260. Re-15 and H4985 are among my favorites for 85-100 grain pills.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info Bobby, looks like I need to pick up a couple pounds of RE-15....I've got several hundred Remington 120gr Core Lokts, you think they'll do all right in the Strkier.

I picked up the FFL and money order yesterday and they'll be mailed today so with any luck by the end of next week I'll have the Striker in hand....I'm looking forward to getting it in.

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 120 grain Rem CLs will do just fine in your pistol.

I'm sure the next couple of weeks will drag by as you wait for the gun's arrival... Wink

Let us know how the load development goes.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Well the Striker arrived via Fedex Tues. afternoon (7-22) and I'm very pleased, she is just like advertised....pristine, brand new and unfired.

The factory trigger on the new .260 is just like the 7-08 I had a few years ago,"Terrible"....lots of creep and breaks at 71/2 lbs.

Took the Striker to a gunsmith friend of mine yestreday morning and I sat and watched while he worked steadily on the trigger for almost four hours....after honing, tweaking, and making a spacer and new linkage pin he ended up with a excellent trigger that now breaks safely and consistently at 13/4 lbs.

Ike

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I finally got everything in and the B & L Elite 3000 2x6 scope mounted yesterday, I went with a Redfield two piece base (p/n 47191) and dual (front and rear) extended Redfield rings (p/n 47221).

After calling Midway, Lock Stock & Barrel, Natchez and Midsouth Shooters Supply I found that .260 brass is backordered but I also found out that when the .260 first came out brass was scarce and a lot of reloaders were using .243, 7-mm08 and .308 Winch. cases (and still do) and forming their own.

I just happen to have a few hundred 7mm-08 cases sitting here and I currently don't own anything in 7-08 long or short so I called Sierra Friday, to verify what I'd read, and the fella said, "piece of cake, just form them in the FL die, fire and you're done".

I now have 45 formed and loaded .260 cases and a brand new scoped Striker sitting here waiting on me to find time to get to the range.

Ike

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Back in the days before the .260 was commercialized, I used .308 brass for my 6.5x.308s. One of my favorites was IMI Match. It was relatively inexpensive in bulk and extremely consistent.

But I've also used .243 and 7-08, and they work just as well. With the 7-08, do keep an eye on case length as these amy need trimming from the get-go.

I hope you can get to the range soon... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
i have a xp-100R in 260 with a 2.5x8 leupold on it and it,s just great. eastbank.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
eastbank-

Welcome to the forum! The .260 is a terrific cartridge for the XPs, though I prefer the older single shot versions instead of the repeater.

What kind of loads are you using, and what type of game (or targets) are on your agenda?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

posted Hide Post
thanks, i use 38grs varget with the 120gr nosler bt in the xp-100r and a higher load in a browning low wall 260. i hunt deer, groundhogs and coyotes. eastbank.

posted Hide Post
Run some IMR 4064 with 120 gr bullets. I have a 260 Encore, shoot 120 Nosler BT's with that powder, chrono was showing 2470ish. Very accurate too.

Posts: 21 | Location: AZ | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote