New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light bullets for the 357 Max?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody out there have luck with 125gr and lighter bullets. Want to see how they do for short range varmiting.

Thanks much

Posts: 59 | Location: Deadwood, S.D., USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PINKERTON..........
im wondering about the same ...thinking about rechambering my bullberry 16.5 incher to the max...after talking to mssmagnum...
gots a bunch of pauls rem 150's..would like to try...
barrel is 1-18 twist...
hummm ??? what ya think ???
buckweet

Posts: 302 | Location: clinton mo. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 150s shoot very well out of my 10 inch VVCG stainless max barrel. I've used both H110 and 4227. In a friends factory max barrel with the terribly long forcing cone throat, they didn't shoot worth a hoot, but to be fair we didn't bother working up any other loads for that barrel. I like those 150 grain bullets for the range, but haven't used them on anything that bleeds, and probably would save them for Coyotes and smaller critters. I like at least 180 grains on venison.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
In this diameter chambering, it becomes a situation where lighter bullet weight starts to work against bearing surface area of the bullet.

I'm sure you notice the shorter bearing surface of the Rem 150's with the spitzer profile.

The 125's are blunt pistol bullets with a bearing surface that is actually longer than the spitzer shaped 150's. However you sacrifice a more ballistic shape for the reduced weight. A 125 in a spitzer shape would be virtually a pencil point with no bearing length.

Just one of the trade offs in this diameter.

A friend use to do a lot of 'chuck hunting with his 35 Rem TC and 125 pistol bullets at moderate ranges and did pretty good with them.

As graycg states, go with the slower pistol powders that are on the "faster" side for the 125's like the 110/296 and WC820 and AA9 and 2400 possibly. Nix the the 1680 type powders here.

Regards

[ 05-13-2003, 19:26: Message edited by: Headstamp ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is Hornady 125gr FP-RXT. It goes very easly With VihtaVuori N-110 2300fps with my T/C G2 14" bull barrell pistol.

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote