Find
Notify
Tools

recovered 7mm bullets: TTSX, Solid Base & Accubond
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
Well, a while back I promised to get together all of my recovered bullets. That hasn't materialized, but in between doctors appointments, I did get to put the 120 grain Tipped TSX, the 140 grain Nosler Solid Base (not Ballistic Tip) and 140 grain Accubond side by side. They were all shot with typical, full-power loads from a 20" 7mm Bullberry and into a repeating medium of wet newsprint-water-wet newsprint at 100 yards. The velocity was recorded 5 feet from impact.

I shot these same bullets at 200 and 300 yards also and will get them scanned fairly soon. But I will say this: one of these bullet did marginally at 200 yards and was what I deem unacceptable at 300. Stay tuned... Wink

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: the 140 grain TTSX was not included because it shot so poorly in the few loads I tried. It's not an issue of stability, either, as my 7mm Bullberry even digests the 168 grain Bergers with aplomb.

I had planned on just using the 140s, but I didn't want a hole in my chronograph from the wild-grouping TTSX... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 21 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bobby for the information. Its always nice to know what a bullet is going to do, especially if one is hunting with lower velocity guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im guessing the TSX did poorly at 300 yards? The copper would require the highest impact velocity to expand Im sure. I have heard a minimum impact velocity of about 2000 fps is recommended. From that bullet going 2365 at 100 yards, at 300 you would have about 1900fps velocity...

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Derek-Yes, it was the TTSX. However, Barnes vehemently claims positive expansion down to 1600 fps -- and that obviously isn't so.

Over 2200 fps, the Barnes TSX and TTSX do exceptionally well, so it's obvious then that they are best reserved for cartridges with the case capacity of the '06 and larger, where higher attendant muzzle velocities translate into longer ranges at which the bullets perform.

Unfortunately, most folks don't buy into that, however, and choose instead to trust marketing.

In playing around with the 120 grain TTSX a few days ago, I found a load for my 7mm Bullberry that is extremely accurate. I didn't clock that load yet but would guess that it's somewhere around 2550 fps. I'm hoping to plant one or two into a wild hog before long, but I intend to keep the range to 150 yards or less.

I'm certain that if I do my part, it will put pork chops on the table... Big Grin

I just wish Nosler would produce a 120 grain Partition or Accubond in 7mm. Then again, the 120 grain BT is a substantial bullet with a thick jacket and exits on virtually any broadside presentation.

I still have a stash of the long-discontinued Sierra 130 grain SSP along with the now-defunct Nosler 140 grain Solid Base bullets, both of which perform admirably at the velocities the Bullberry is capable of. But when I run out, I guess I will have to find a replacement.

It's a dirty job and will require lots of range time, but somebody's got to do it... Wink

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

I just wish Nosler would produce a 120 grain Partition or Accubond in 7mm. Then again, the 120 grain BT is a substantial bullet with a thick jacket and exits on virtually any broadside presentation.

I agree another premium 120gr would be an excellent idea. I must say that I've shot about 20 deer with the 120gr BT at MV or 3,000fps and 2,800fps and found them to be terribly fragile and over expansive - this is not from a BT hater, I love the things but not this particular one.

My 19.5" 7mm08 can manage 2,850fps with 120s so I think the TTSX should be OK for my use which is out to 300yards?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, the TTSX should work well for you.

I love the 120 grain BTs, but then again, I am shooting them at lower velocities. I've heard other comments (with similar results) from shooters using them at MVs similar to yours.

By the way, does anyone still have TTSXs in stock?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bobby
What is the impact velocities of these bullets?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Louis-The impact velocities are listed on the photo: 2290 fps for the 140 grain Solid Base, 2365 for the 120 grain TTSX and 2294 for the 140 grain Accubond.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bobby
Sorry about that, as I wrote that I started to preface it with a statement that the velocity was probably there and I just overlooked it.

Thanx for your testing and EXCELLENT photographic presentation of the results.

It is good to see that you can still enjoy the photography enough to do it as a hobby/sideline also.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Louis-

Thanks for the kind words. This is just something I enjoy doing -- and something I simply feel I have to do for myself as the cartridges I use and the velocities they achieve aren't exactly the norm.

I am going to have to update this post, though, as another batch of the 7mm, 120 grain TTSX is showing better expansion. I don't know if Barnes changes the depth of the hollow cavity or perhaps something in the metallurgical department, but there is a difference. And I LIKE what I am seeing with this batch of bullets.

However, I can't seem to find any more as everyone now has the TTSX on backorder... Frowner

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I used a 130 Sierra SSP in a 7/08 atop IMR 4895 for a Tx deer years back, worked as expected - likely about like a Speer 130, yet those 'hotcores' may be 'tougher', shot well btw.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote