Find
Notify
Tools

CVA's Bergara-barreled Scout V2 pistol
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Has anyone here messed with one of these break-open single shots? I hear very good things about accuracy and the triggers -- and the whole shebang sells for just north of $350.
Will see for myself soon as I ordered one in 6.5 Grendel.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, the beast arrived at my dealer yesterday. I say beast because this Spanish beauty weighs 5 pounds, 6 ounces without scope. Rings and a Burris 2-7 pistol scope will put it over six pounds. Most of the weight is in the very lovely but stout Bergara barrel. Lock-up is bank vault-tight and I am guessing that the very crisp trigger is less than 3 pounds. Trying to find barrel twist rate specs, but it would appear to be nice and tight.
Considering who made this barrel and the caliber it is chambered for, I expect some very good groups once I can get to the range with it.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably a 1-8T.
They tend to be quite accurate-Enjoy!

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ernie. That was my guess as well.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, the Grendel is finally wearing glasses, so I hope to break it in in the next couple of days, as well as the rest I built for it. Should be an absolute pussycat on my end and a tiger on the other ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That rig looks very nicely proportioned and business like, I'm sure it will perform well.
It looks like the muzzle has been threaded?

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes. It comes that way from the factory.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Yes. It comes that way from the factory.

A good suppressor with built in muzzle brake would tame everything down nicely.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Am I wrong, or will the Grendel become the modern version (brass available ) of the 6.5 JDJ?

I think that pistola and a couple of antelope permits with accessible land would make someone like me HAPPY!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Finally got to the range with the Scout today. Even though I was very rusty at shooting a powerful single-shot handgun, this thing excelled. I put a box of Privi Partizan 110-grain FMJs through it to dial in the scope, get a feel for the gun and the recoil impulse and leave me some brass to load.
As you can see, it gave me a 1 1/2-inch group on the right -- my first five-shot group at 100 -- and on the left a 1 3/8-inch group with the scope adjusted to where I wanted it, high and centered.
I know I could have done better, as I kept fiddling around with my rest and squeeze bag, finding some padding for my elbows and just basically squirming around out of practice. Considering all those negative inputs, I am quite thrilled with this $353 handgun.
The group of three on the right target was with first handloads -- a Sierra 107 grain TMK, Nosler brass and 22 grains of H4198 with CCI 400 to light things off. The recoil impulse was much milder and I thought the three would group well away from the five Privi FMJs, but they didn't. And the Scout obviously prefers some other flavor of handload, although a test sample of just three hardly constitutes guidance.
Just as evidence of how rusty I was today, I only just now realized that the Burris scope is a 2-7X. I shot the targets at 2X!
Boys and girls, if anyone here has been on the fence regarding one of these handguns, get off of it and buy one while they are available, as CVA is a bit of a squirrely outfit. As more range and field reports on these pistols come in, I hope CVA will see fit to do more to promote them -- and maybe do another run in 6mm ARC.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are good to go!

Ernie

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ernie, I may add a bipod to see if I can cut those groups by a third or more -- and of course I haven't started serious handload trials. Very promising pistol!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Load development and a solid rest set-up tend to help group size come down. Are you adding a brake?

Ernie

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ernie, hadn't considered a brake, although the Scout has a bit more recoil than I expected from the Grendel.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your barrel is already threaded for one. A good self-timing brake would lessen recoil quite a bit.

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
…The recoil impulse was much milder……the Scout has a bit more recoil than I expected…

Well, which is it? Enquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I fired a box of 20 Privi Partizan 110-grain FMJ factory loads. I was a bit surprised at the recoil in such a heavy handgun considering that the Grendel has a reputation for mild manners. All things are relative of course. The recoil wasn't at all abusive -- nothing like, say, the .375 JDJ. It just surprised me.
When I fired the three handloads -- 22 grains H-4198 under the Sierra 107 TMK -- the recoil level was noticeably less. I did not bring my chronograph to quantify the velocities. Next time I will.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
OK Bill . . .

This post was way back in November, and nothing since.

Have you dialed in a load(s)?
100-120 grain projies seem ripe to perform out there at distance. I don't know of that case has enough capacity to boot the heavier bullets down range with full authority.

Of course now it looks like you are in an area that is lease/guest only if you plan on hunting.

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently ordered a 15" Bullberry barrel in 6.5 Grendel.
If you load for the 120 or 123 grain bullets, I would like to know your loads.

Ernie

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I confess to getting sidetracked with a .41 Magnum, a .450 Bushmaster upper and a 6.5 Grendel in the Ruger American.
One beef I have is that I bought a bipod for the Scout, and it turns out the alternate forend screw with sling swivel stud that CVA includes is too short to even engage the threads in the forend. I emailed them about this and have not heard back.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Come on now Bill . . .

Even with the unusual weather we have been having, surely you have got to get out and run some rounds through that.
IF Ernie has received his barrel I'm betting he is not letting it languish on the loading bench.

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not here...But I have not shot since Nov.
Just feeling like getting out and shooting the last several weeks.
Weather has been a hold up as well

Ernie

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xphunter:
Not here...But I have not shot since Nov.
Just feeling like getting out and shooting the last several weeks.
Weather has been a hold up as well

Even though you have not shot it yet, do you think you can wring 6.5JDJ performance out of the Grendel case or is the case capacity just too small?

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know, until I start shooting it....

Ernie

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Is that BB barrel TC or XP?

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xphunter:
I really don't know, until I start shooting it....

G-2 Barrel

Ernie

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bill are you used to the recoil in the Contender with 30 or 357 Herrett?

I had essentially the rifle version of that pistol and was impressed, just think the Grendel may be fine all around round and was surprised with your recoil comment!

Challenge your limits