New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 contender loudness comparison
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently had a chance to shoot a super 14 223 factory braked contender barrel.
I put one round through it and that was enough.
Even with ear plugs my ears were ringing.

I've been considering buying a 15" non braked or ported 25-06, 7mm-08 or 45-70 caliber barrel for my Encore or Contender and would like to know if anyone could tell me how they might compare to the near deafning, braked 223.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 10" and a 14" non ported .223 contender barrels. They are both loud but I've never noticed them being so bad I did'nt like shooting them.

One thing I might add to that though is that I did a pritty bad job of beating my ears up when I was younger shooting without good ear protection so I know my ears are much less sensitive tham most people.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what you mean BOOM I would expect the 25-06 to have the same issues.

I'd think the 7-08 wouldn't be too bad in the muzzle blast, and the 45-70 shouldn't be bad at all.

Perhaps if you shoot at an uncovered range the short tube 223's aren't so bad, but on a covered range each shot feels like a concussion grenade going off in your face.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Braked 14" Contender barrels are wicked loud no matter what round they fire. I used to clear the bench area with a 7-30 Waters braked.
Any of the rounds you listed out of a 15" will be exceptionally loud given their length. A brake will make them worse.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Race Bannon?!! I loved your work looking after the Quest family!

Of course most of us are a little deaf already from shooting all those braked and unbraked pistols, handguns, rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders without "ears" so be careful of our subjective impressions. These days the Peltor 6S electronic hearing protectors are so comfortable and affordable there is no excuse for an unprotected shot, even in the field. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of ported anything for this very reason.
I have shot a 14" bull barrel Encore in .223 without the break and found it to be a little louder than a short barrel carbin in the same caliber. I did shoot an Encore pistol 7mm-08 with a break that hurt my ears even with good ear muffs on.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use to shoot at a range in So Cal were you could back you car to about 15' from the shooting benchs and my 14"braked 223Rem would set off car alarms. The range had to shutdown last year. The word is a couple of the city counselmen wanted to build houseing tracks near the range. It was one of two outdoor rifle ranges within 40 miles of 8 million people.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote