Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x30 Waters data for hog hunting.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for some recommendations for a good hog bullet. In the past I have used my Super 14 7x30 Waters for deer using the now discontinued single shot pistol bullet offered by Sierra. All of the shots will be within 75 yards. I would like to hear from someone who has taken hogs with their recommended load.

Thanks,
B.B.

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
At that close range, I'd go with either the 140 grain Accubond or 140 grain Partition -- whichever shot best in your barrel.

Either should develop around 2200-2250 fps and will expand well out to the range you mention.

With that being said, the plain-Jane 140 grain Sierra GameKing and Pro Hunters would do equally well at that velocity level and range.

If your barrel doesn't like the 140 grainers, the Sierra 120 grain Pro Hunter and Hornady 120 grain SP are stout enough to do the job as well.

My favored bullets in the 7-30 for deer are the 120 grain Nosler BT and the discontinued Sierra 130 grain SSP. Given careful shot placment, these would do the trick on hogs, too.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

Below is a Sierra 130 grain SSP launched at 2505 fps from a 20" 7mm Bullberry. It impacted a buck in the frontal chest from 108 yards and made it all the way to the left ham.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Thanks for the input. I think I will try the Partitions, as I've had good luck with them in some of my rifles. I've got some 120gr BT loaded for deer, but I feel these are too light for hogs. Hopefully by mid-April I can post a few pics from the hunt.

Thank you,
B.B.

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You are quite welcome.

Here's hoping to see plenty of your pictures of deceased hogs before long... thumb

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
no hog experience here...but I have taken a few whitetail deer using the Nosler 140 grain Ballistic Tip in my 7x30. All shots were inside 100 yards and the bullet did its job quickly.

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote