New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dirty Thirty
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is BCG 308 Winchester XP-100, using a Remington Take-Off 308 Winchester barrel chopped to 15.8" Holland's Radial Baffle Brake, Leupold Mark IV 4.5-15, McMillan stock, and a factory trigger.

Video Below: Factory TAP with 168 A-Max.
Reloads: 1x fired Hornady Match 308 Win brass, CCI primer, H-4895, 155 A-Max at 2720 fps.
Groups were at 100 yards.

The last 3-shot group was by Dan Ekstrom, with his MagnetoSpeed attached and the group size was close to mine. This XP-100 shoots great!
Next up is doing some drop confirmations at distance.
Impact velocities will allow me to kill out to mid-range distances. Impact velocity at 550 yards should just a tad over 1800 fps.
It will be used for my personal enjoyment and hunting, but will also be a loaner XP-100 for WY-SHOT.
In The Video, I am shooting some older TAP 168 ammunition, so we could set up the resize die properly.
Video:
https://youtu.be/yic2ze1j5Yg

Ernie

Posts: 826 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernie,

Awesome shooting! Accurate XP100!

Good job, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sunday afternoon I went out with a couple of guys from church. One needed to do load development and chronographing and the other one wanted me to chronograph a couple of guns with my Labradar. I wanted to do some drop confirmations with the Dirty Thirty/308 Winchester. We had winds from the north west, which was a quartering headwind for us. I was shooting to the north. After the guys got all of their stuff done, Glen spotted for me while I started doing some drop confirmations. The quartering headwind noticeably pushed my bullets down as I extended distances, but I still had fun.
Even at 300 yards it took me more elevation to hit my target, then it should’ve. By 400 yards I had a sense of how much I should add at 500 yards. At 500 yards my first shot at the 10-inch diamond target was close to a center hit.

The 5-inch square target to the right was hit by a guy shooting a 7mm SAUM rifle with 195 Berger’s.
I did drop confirmations out to 800 yards, but with wind continuing to pick up, I stop there. We shot Glenn’s 41 magnum Smith & Wesson revolver, and had some fun. I decided I wanted to shoot one more shot with my 308 Winchester XP. I picked the upper right small dot on the big rectangular target at 500 yards.

It always feels good, when you just have a sense of what it should be and you are right, and the shot is very close to where you were aiming at a mid-range distance.

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting!

I always thought the “dirty thirty” was a slang name for the .30-30 though…

Posts: 10460 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Great shooting!

I have learned that too through this thread.

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Great shooting!

Me too but I'm in the camp of "a guy can call his own stuff what he wants". haha

Ernie,
Very fine shooting hand-rifle and you certainly know how to do your part too!
Well done, sir.

Zeke

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's just a spectacular handgun Ernie. And you obviously know how to get the most from it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure do enjoy it-Thanks!

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Wonderful handgun. Thanks for the info and photos! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome. shot it out to 500 yards earlier this morning on 10" steel, check drops.
Big game season starts soon.

Ernie