Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best integral muzzle brake?
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a couple Encore barrels that could use a muzzle brake. The 460 S&W has just a wee bit more recoil than I care for. It's enough that I put it away after just a few rounds.
As a precision shooter, I was embarrassed that I couldn't hit a water bottle at 25 yards due to my anticipation of the recoil.
100+ rounds of 22-250 that day was nothing but I simply did not want to pull that trigger again on the 460.

I don't expect this thing to be as mellow as the 22-250 (killing bowling pins at 100+ yds) but that sure would be nice.
The second barrel is my 308. I have yet to fire it (just landed this week) but I imagine it's going to be very similar to the 460.

The hard part is that I want to keep the standard open sights on my 15" SST barrels. I also don't want to extend the length at all.
I have not scoped these things because I want to use them to keep my iron sight skills sharp.

I'm leaning towards the bellmtcs.com brake. So far, his looks like the best thing going but I'm always open to others.

What do you guys use?

Posts: 21 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 24 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a source I used for a muzzle brake on my 15" Encore in 30-06 barrel http://www.probed2000.com . Initially I contacted Fox Ridge Outfitters and spoke to a female who assured me their Muzzle Tamer would tame the 454casull pistol barrel,it didn't so after that experience I went to Score High gunsmithing and spoke to the owner about his MB he said he used to work at KDF in Texas and his brakes did work,works great on my 06. I have a 20" Bullberry SW 460 mag Encore barrel w/o a brake that I've shot with 460 ammo that was tame compared to Magtech 454 casull 260gr Jacketed Flat Point ammo it really has some recoil,asked Magtech techs at the shot show & they agreed their supplier loads it stout.

posted Hide Post
I looked at the ProBed brake. I don't care for it. It is an extension. I don't want the barrel any longer than what it is now.

This is what I'm looking for in a brake:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope those ports help. If you want maximum recoil reduction then look for a multi baffle brake like Hollands QD or straight shot gunsmithing's V-port brake. They are much more effective. I have tried many and the ported ones like yours and TC's muzzle tamer are not as effective.

Kevin

Kevin
Big 5 Encore Rifles

Posts: 64 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
I love the brake on my 8mm GNR, the down side is that it about 2" of holes and YOU DO NOT WANT TO STAND OFF TO THE SIDE when it goes off. has about the recoil of my 223 barrel.
Ben

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Muzzle brakes are great but who did yours?

Mine is currently at BellmTCs to have the work done.

One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
My break is straight from Mr. Gary Reeder.
Ben

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Garys brakes work quite well too. I have them on everything from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 416GNR(50 Alaskan necked down), including a 10" barrel (including 2" brake) 500 Smith&Wesson..thats one wicked SOB and could not imagine shooting it without one of Garys brakes on it. Truely, one of the best on the market.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote