Notify
Tools

Recoil - Striker & XP100?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Hey All,

I've never had the chance to fire a Savage Striker or an XP100 - still, I'm utterly fascinated by these things and one day will likely have one in the safe.

I'm curious though - what's the recoil like shooting one? I've fired .44 mags (Smith 6"), .41 mags (PD Scandium), .357's, and a .480 a couple times, so I have some idea of recoil.

But I have no idea how an XP100 operates recoil-wise. What's it like? Sharp? Not bad?

There's a big difference between a .41 mag 255gr. bullet at 1150 fps in a scandium .357pd vs. a 100gr. bullet at 2500fps...

Just curious what the recoil is like. Anyone?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The blast of rifle cartridges from the stubby barrels is much worse than the recoil. The mid grip guns handle better, but kick "weirder" than the rear grip XPs. I've yet to fire either style that gave me that cracked bat sensation you get firing alloy revolvers. By the time a fella installs a scope and a Harris bipod on a handrifle they tame down pretty nice. Double up on the hearing protection (puffs and muffs) and have some fun.

posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is the caliber of the pistol. I've got a 17 Remington with a 14" barrel and the recoil is about nil. On the flip side a 7x08, with a heavy bullet and a good dose of powder, will let you know that you are firing a pistol. Also, a lot has to do with if it is has a compensator. Lots of variables in the pistol world.

Regards,
B.B.

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i had an unbraked striker in 708 . recoil was not nil, but not anything like as nasty as shooting most 44 mag

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38435 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built several XP-100 pistols both center and rear grip. Cartridge selection will, as with all firearms, have a direct affect on fealt recoil. I use a rear grip with a 15" HV bbl. chambered in a 223 with a 35 degree shoulder. The rig weighs 11 lbs with a Leupold 12X scope. Recoil is nill. I just finished a center grip with a 16" 1.250 untapered bbl. chambered in 250-3000 AI. this bbl has a brake and it is very comfortable to shoot.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote