Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting sticks for pistols
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Hey fellas, just wondering if you have any good ideas for pistol shooting sticks. I've had good success with the "regalar" sticks for sitting shots, but haven't come upon something that works well for prone shots. In open country, I think I could dramatically improve my long range accuracy if I had a good prone rest. I'm looking for something portable that could be used on a walking hunt. Thanks for your ideas.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Honestly I just don't shoot prone when hunting. I can count on one hand with spare fingers the number of times I would've been able to see through the grass and brush.

My preference is to kneel on rt knee, with left knee bent and supporting left arm past the elbow. It works steady for me and I can drop to the position pretty fast for a "quick" shot.

I doubt I could even get down to prone quickly anymore, let alone, back up again (without help that is).

CRYBABY

I've been fooling around with a monopod stick I bought for my daughter to use initially, and I like it. It's a combination walking/shooting stick, and seems to also work standing and kneeling pretty well. I wonder if you could fashion up some type of monopod that would either fold to your fore end, or carry in your off hand?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider is the terrain in which you will use the shooting sticks. Here in central Texas I have to use my Stoney Point sticks. They are quick to set up and they work on the hard ground we have here. When I'm hunting in east Texas or anywhere on the east coast I take along my MTM shooting stick. I can push it into the ground and with the adjustable lever find my "sweet" spot. I tried the Stoney Point sticks one year in east Texas where the ground is sandy and they sunk into the ground about a foot or so real quick.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
B.B.

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The replies from Slowpoke Slim and Ballistic Budda have provided good info and food for thought. One other thing to consider is that if you are able to shoot prone, using your backpack for a rest may be your best bet.

It certainly makes for a rather stable shooting platform.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you do use your backpack, ensure that the barrel is past anything don't want destroyed by the muzzle blast. I've got a friend with a small hole in his pack due to the blast.

Regards,
B.B.

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the input. I have used my pack before, but in many cases I hunt within a mile or so of the truck and just have a few important items on my belt. I was looking for something that would provide support for the forend when the butt is sitting on the ground or close to it. Think of belly crawling over a small rise to get a shot at an antelope 200 yards away. You have a clear shot and already in the prone position. What light weight piece of gear could be used as a front rest? Though I've used them, a conveniently sized rock is not always handy.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try this link( http://www.bipodshootingsticks.com/index.htm) I like mine!!

"Be who you are, say what you think, people that matter don't care, and people that care don't matter." -- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 8 | Location: Hills of Mississippi | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I knew a fella that used to use his cowboy hat. He'd lay the pistol in the crease across the top of the hat. One day he held the pistol too far back on the "rest", and set it to smoldering with the muzzle blast. I thought it was funny, even if he didn't.

Big Grin

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Hey Possum, thanks for that link. Their little short sticks are pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll order a set in the near future.