New
Find
Notify
Tools

My VVC 6.5X55
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finished the breakin and have been playing with a few different loads. Tonight at the range I set up at a hundred yds and got a nice suprise. This VVc barrel is gonna be my deer gun for sure.
The 2X burris and this barrel are made for each other.
 -
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Looks good congrats! What is the recoil like with that cartridge? I know that it is a subjective question that I'm asking, but I'm just trying to get a feel of how lite to heavy the recoil is? What would you compare it to?
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Recoil is almst nonexistant with 120gr. loads. At the bench it barley lifts off the sandbag and is very pleasant to shoot. For comparison my 223 recoils almost as much and The 30-06 that I have causes me to develop a flinch at around 4 or 5 rounds. (The 06 is shot with a TC rubber grip and this still does not help)
I think I have accomplished my goal of a handgun that will cleanly kill a whitetail and still be very comfortable to shoot.
Regards
Rick [Big Grin]

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is your twist rate and barrel length? It looks to follow the factory conture, do you have the hanger bar installed or is the forearm pillar bedded? Thanks.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
outlaw6,
Twist is 1 in 9 , and the barrel length is 14 in. There is no hanger bar or pillar bedding. I had VVCG set it up to accept the factory forend.
When I ordered the barrel my thoughts were minute of deer and was hoping for 2 in. groups at a hundred yards. The accuracy I am getting has got me astounded.
Rick [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love it. [Big Grin]
Good shootin Rick.

[ 09-19-2002, 04:02: Message edited by: Jules ]

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a terrific group -- you've definitely got a keeper there. DId you clock the load? The charge seems quite mild and should definitely give you something to build upon. And believe it or not, slightly slower powders may do even better, esp. in the velocity department.

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 35.5gr. of H4895 it is nearly a starting load. As time permits,increasing the charge is somthing I want to experiment with. I don't have a chrony yet but it is on my wish list. Maybe over this winter as my budget permits.
Rick [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
good job vvg and cricker. Dude I know it sounds kinda dumb but I have a factory 15" .308 that shoots extremely well after I had CBJules' budddy recrown it.....but I put my 12" rynite rifle forearm using the rear screw only on it. I like it much better than the little pistol forearms. It gives you a lot more resting options especially in hunting situatuions...anybody else done this??
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Headstamp>
posted
http://www.singleshooters.org/65tcu.htm

Here's a bunch of 6.5 info.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got it chronographed. 2385fps. Now I will need to build a bit and see what it can do. I am hoping for close to 2600fps.
I hope to make it to the range today as I have yet to sight in the factory 260rem barrel. If time permits I may run some heavier loads through the swede too.
Rick