Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes vs. Barnes: What Gives???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
When Barnes introduced the TTSX lineup, it was in a noted effort to address long range/low velocity expansion "issues," that according to their own techs.

The TTSX had a more cavernous hollow point than the X and TSX along with a delrin tip to help initiate expansion. Early lots of 7mm 120 grain TTSX showed incredible accuracy along with better low-velocity expansion than the 120 grain TSX in both my testing an on-game performance.

In fact, I switched almost exclusively to it in my 7mm Bullberry Contender carbine as the accuracy was extremely impressive.

However, something has obviously changed since then, and Barnes is now saying that the TTSX requires 2000 fps at impact for expansion while the TSX only requires 1800 fps. (At least Barnes is not claiming full depth-of-cavity expansion to 1600 fps as it did early on. thumb)

Testing today upholds that claim as the TSX showed more expansion than the TTSX. Early on, shortly after the TSX hit the market, my testing in 6.5 and 7mm indicated 2200 fps at impact was necessary to initiate expansion. Apparently the TSX has again been improved and now -- at least in 6.5mm, 7mm and .30 caliber -- the TSX is outperforming the very bullet that was introduced to improve upon the TSX's performance.

So, what purpose does the TTSX actually serve other than to drain your wallet of an extra $4-5 per box of 50? The BC isn't significantly greater to make much difference, and in its current form it certainly won't expand any quicker than the TSX.

I'll admit that either will do the job on game at reasonable ranges. I guess I just don't see the reasoning for a pretty blue tip when the plain Jane hollow point actually performs better -- and costs less to boot.

Here is just one scan of many from today. For all practical purposes, they all were about the same, with the TSX outperforming the TTSX in every instance.

---

Here is the e-mail I received from Barnes:

Hello, Bobby the minimum velocity for the 6.5 mm 120 TSX is 1800 fps. the 7mm 120 TSX is also 1800 fps. However the TTSX is 2000 fps. for the proper function.

Thank you for your business, and have a nice day.

Wade Welcker
Ballistics Lab/Tech Support
Barnes Bullets
PO Box 215
American Fork, UT  84003
Phone: 801.756.4222 Ext. 111

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Good info to know, just came back from SHOT show and was being told by Barnes guy that the TTSX OPENS sooner!

Makes you wonder ....question integrity ...you know the saying, lies, damned lies, and statistics!

Maybe should stick to TSX from your tests. Do you find Bobby the BCs are close to correct? Just wonder i.e. if fired in a say 260 or 708, what the 120/130 and 120/140 would do respectively on LONG shots that might present and a shooter decide odds are in favor of making the shot.

see below if you have not.

http://www.snipershide.com/for...er=902909#Post902909

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The BCs for the 7mm 120 TTSX (.373) and the TSX (.349) seem pretty darn close to me. I know some of the earlier figures were optimistic, but Barnes has recently updated and corrected a number of their BCs.

Here are a couple TTSXs from earlier tht fall right into what Barnes is now claiming regarding the minimum of 2000 fps required for expansion to occur.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
Bobby, your experience is the exact reason I gave up on barnes bullets. Every time I would find a bullet I liked and would get loads worked up for it they would "tweak" it and change something, then I would get to start all over again with my next batch of bullets. I simply got tired of throwing away money because they keep "upgrading" their bullets. With Hornady, Nosler and Sierra I know my next box of bullets will be the same, will shoot the same and perform the same.

3-7-77

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Bluedot wrote:
quote:
With Hornady, Nosler and Sierra I know my next box of bullets will be the same, will shoot the same and perform the same.

Those are my sentiments exactly. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently the patents on Barnes bullets are about to end. That with the push to more no lead bullets may make some interesting competition and changes !

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Generally,
When I buy Barnes bullets, I purchased a lorge supply in the same lot. That way the work I do when working up my load can be used for several years. I liked the XLC's the best of the bunch. Fortunately I still have enough to last me another 10 years or so, using them just for big game hunting.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluedot:
Bobby, your experience is the exact reason I gave up on barnes bullets. Every time I would find a bullet I liked and would get loads worked up for it they would "tweak" it and change something, then I would get to start all over again with my next batch of bullets. I simply got tired of throwing away money because they keep "upgrading" their bullets. With Hornady, Nosler and Sierra I know my next box of bullets will be the same, will shoot the same and perform the same.

That happens with all brands of bullets, including Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra

Example a 200 grain AccuBond

A different lot of the same bullet

Notice the difference in the ogivals

Not a big deal IMHO, if it bothers you buy the same lot number in large quantity's

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote