New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 10mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, we’re going on a fly fishing trip to Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana in late June. First time we’ve decided to fish this early in the year and I know we will have to deal with the melt.

I decided to pick up a 10mm for protection which I’ll wear in a holster outside my waders. I did a lot of research and decided that the Tanfoglio based upon the CZ75 was the ticket. And after shooting it for about a week, I made the right decision.

Now it’s a big pistol, but wow, it really shoots. My carry loads will be at 1270 JHP. Might change that out if I find a better load around 1300. It doesn’t have night sights, but that’s ok since both my Walther have Tritium sights.

I just love shooting this thing, and I do a lot of pistol shooting.

I also picked up an EEA Revolver 2.5” in .357 for local carry while fly fishing so I can use snake shot and 158 JHP. Incredible shooter, and I don’t really like DA revolvers. In SA mode, it is really deadly.

I’ve also figured out holsters for all my handguns. Mostly Walmart $19.99 stuff that just works. But my daily carry is now a Walther PPS M2 with a sticky holster. No one would ever know it’s under my T-Shirt. Fun stuff.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice! Excellent piece.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
10mm mmmmm

I really like the Tanfoglio

Posts: 6346 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It’s a great cartridge and a wonderful platform. My Kimber 10mm is a TLE/TL II and I love it. However, I have a pre import CZ 75 in 9mm and it fits my hand like a dream. I might have to copycat you...hmm.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good pistol

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be up in the same area for the same reason in the next month staying through September. I too will be carrying a 10mm, (Sig Sauer Emperor Scorpion). I prefer to load with the Buffalo Bore 220 grain hard cast flat nose. I like penetration more than speed.

Posts: 74 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot about 70 rounds through the Tangfolio today, and it is just such a fine pistol. I do think I’ll put some rubber grip tape on it, but baby this thing shoots. Every head shot at 55 feet are in the head.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you get the match elite or the standard unit?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Copper grips.

https://coppergungrips.com/

9mm,10mm, 45, 22

Posts: 6346 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Did you get the match elite or the standard unit?

I got the Standard. $425 shipped. I’ll give more results later, but the more I shoot it the better I get. That’s a good thing.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That’s a great deal.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but mine is the Standard Polymer. Shot 100 rounds very quickly perhaps too quickly. But it was still a deadly accurate shooter. I think they still offer the compact polymer version which might be better suited for daily carry. Mine will be for self defense while I’m fly fishing or hiking. But wow, the 10mm throws a punch and this pistol is a real accurate shooter.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with a guy that was attacked by a black bear in Colorado a decade ago.

He came around a bend in a trail one afternoon in September and surprised a bear. Although he had a rifle in his hands, he had no time to even raise it before the bear was on him.

The rifle went flying.

He survived, although he lost a big chunk of calf muscle (bear carried it off and probably ate it.).

His thoughts:

1) Always carry a big pistol, securely holstered.
2) Never be out alone in bear country.

With that said, I carry a .44 Mag in a lightweight 44 Tracker. If a gun is too light, you won't want to carry it day in and day out. It is a pain to shoot, because of recoil, but if a bear is attacking you will not recoil. The reality is you will probably never have to use it to stop a bear attack, but if you do, bigger is better.

I also think accuracy is not that important for a self defense gun. You are not hunting bears, you are trying to prevent or stop a bear attack. That means in your face, bear breath range. Maybe one shot in front of the bear, if you have the opportunity, but if it comes it will probably come blazing fast.

Bears have thick leg bones and a flat skull, making it hard to stop with lessor rounds.

The best defensive weapon would be a 12 ga, with 00 buck, but following that, use as big enough pistol as you can handle.

JMO

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I went to the range again today. As to accuracy, it’s a tough choice between the Tanfoglio 10mm and the Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm. The 10mm definitely will get your attention, and the trigger pulls are negligently different.

I really wish I had the match version of the Walther PPQ instead of the 4” version, because my daily concealed carry is the Walther PPS M2 9mm, and I am sure the match version would be the cats meow.

I really love that Tanfoglio 10mm. Bang. I only missed 2 shots out of 24 at 55 feet head shots. I’ll get even better with it over the next few weeks.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own the EAA in several calibers/guns. My 10 mm, is I believe, the Elite version and shoots very accurately. I also have the Elite Match in 38 Super. EAA's are fine guns at a reasonable price.
I settled on 200 gr. loads for my 10 mm, leaving the 180's for the 40 S&W.
I understand the argument about accuracy requirements for a given situation, but, if I have to chose between an accurate gun and an inaccurate gun, I will always chose the accurate one.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I cast + load for my brother in law for his 10mm.He loves it.I say I did,as I found out that his grandson + buddies came over + shot up all the ammo in an afternoon.I never minded helping Tommy but I'm not here to supply these young men with free ammo + my time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a golden opportunity to get the grandson into reloading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I mentioned that to Tommy + even gave him a press. But he said he was uncomfortable taking on that responsibility,he was happier when I loaded for him.Guess what just came to a screeching halt.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he was happier when I loaded for him.Guess what just came to a screeching halt.

Eeker Time to learn boy.

That what I would tell him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,I made it clear to him.I like him + he's a real nice guy but I don't like being taken advantage of.Also I've been loading for my preacher for years + have convinced him to learn how himself as several members of his congregation are shooters that he can load for if he chooses. I gave him an RCBS press + scale + several die sets that I'm doubled up on.I've been loading since 1970 so I've had a lot of years to build up equipment.You can't buy everything you need right away,especially if you're on a preachers pay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot another 100 rounds through the Tanfoglio today. It’s really hard to miss with this pistol. I think I missed the head 3 times at 55 feet. Maybe I’m just not good of a shot. I have hit the head every time with 24 rnds at 55 feet. Some days are better than others. But i have to say at 30ft, it’s all over with. I can make a head shot on a bear or a person every time. Just love this pistol!

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to mention, I’ve never shot anything but hollow points out of the pistol, over 500 rounds, with only one jam. And I’ve never cleaned it at this point. Shot 100 rounds thru it today, no malfunctions, and super accurate.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got out to the range again today. Shot 50 rounds through both the Tanfoglio 10mm and the WaltherPPQM2 in 9mm. The more I shoot the 10mm the better the trigger gets. There’s never been a question about the PPQtrigger.

I’m not saying I’m a great marksman in pistol shooting, but I’m pretty darn good. Both of these pistols are just incredible; one being hammer fired and the other striker fired.

The 10mm is definitely much more powerful and like I’ve said before, it will get your attention.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I decided to see if I can accurately hunt with this 10mm at 55 feet, which is the longest distance we can shoot a handgun at our rannge. Every shot was a dead kill using a brace, and the shots was no more than 4” apart at 55 feet. I’m committed to this this Tanfoglio 10mm. The trigger is unbelievable.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More