New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the revolver a done deal??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love my 1911 colt, and my Browning HP (Selsia) with a set of S&W 22 target sights..but my first LE pistol was the first 4" Combat Magnum mod 19 to hit the street in El Paso, Texas I was told..I did a trigger job for double action, and so its been since that day in the 1950s best I recall??

Today with a set of beautiful walnut custom grips its old and battered, but I would never feel like I was lacking in the worst of situations. I still carry it to hunting camp, and to all places off and on, and its my traveling partner..Doesn't pack as nice as the autos, but the 357 round is a one shot killer of men, by far better than any auto round with the exception of perhaps the 38 Super..but then Im an old curmudgeon sot in my ways..Its my go to handgun.. beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own as may revolvers' as auto loaders.

I carry both at different times.

My walking pistol is a 7 shot L frame 357.

My carry with me while hunting is a 5 shot 4 inch 41 mag.

My every day carry around the property is a beat up Glock 23.

My dress up is a stainless Ruger SR1911.

So forth and so forth.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I do too. I have been a fan of the model 19 for 50 years + I agree with Bill Jordan's idea that a 41 on a K frame would have been ideal, had it been physically possible. No, Ray, I don't think the revolver is a dead issue.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Revolvers are far from dead. In fact, they are very often a preferred carry gun by people in the know. The manual of arms is simpler, if they fail to send a round just pull the trigger again, they are not as ammo sensitive, they are easy to teach someone to handle. There are benefits as well as drawbacks but a good revolver is a great firearm for a good many things.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with all, thought I couldget up a good conversation with some newbies hammering the good old revolver..guess not so far..I see the 357 as the best of the combat calibers, powerful and fast recovery, deadly on humans but its not a particularly good big game caliber..thats 41 and 44 caliber..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Doesn't pack as nice as the autos

Ray and the rest of you experts,

I have very little experience with handguns, but it has always seemed that one advantage of an auto is that it will carry better than a revolver. But I am basing my opinion on very limited experience with different models and different holsters.

Have you found this to be a general rule: that autos carry better than revolvers?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray and the rest of you experts,

I have very little experience with handguns, but it has always seemed that one advantage of an auto is that it will carry better than a revolver. But I am basing my opinion on very limited experience with different models and different holsters.

Have you found this to be a general rule: that autos carry better than revolvers?

As with Ray I carried handgun as a LEO for 33 years 50 year total.

Good holsters are key.

I find very little deafferents how they carry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 revolvers and probably 40 pistols.

I used a smith 929 in 9mm as my home defense gun.

It is big, accurate and sits well in my nightstand. I know it is loaded and all my pistols are empty and can be dry fired all the time.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Bill Jordan writing in his book "No second Place Winner" about a hypothetical situation, (you + I are adversaries, we both enter opposite ends of an alley; I have a revolver, you have a semi-auto; we both draw simultaneously; we both have a hang fire. Who's gonna walk out of that alley?) A bit extreme perhaps but he made his point in the superiority of DA revolvers in this sense.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Not around my house. I just sold off all my autoloaders (glock, hipowers, sig, walthers) and just kept 2 Colt 1911's and a 70 series Gold Cup. I have many revolvers in about any cartridge you can think of from 22 to 500. When I leave the house, it is almost always with a 357 or 44 mag.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Autos are easier to carry as they are flatter. And young guys all want black semi auto things because they seem modern. Look at rifle and handgun sales trends and you will see.
However, for people who actually know how to shoot them, the revolver is the one they will often pick.
I prefer the Colt SAA, 4 3/4 inch. You do not want me to shoot "at" you with one. I will fire one shot, while the guys with their Glocks will lay down a base of "unaimed" fire. And yes, I had the 1911 and then the Beretta 92 during my 28 years. Still like the revolvers.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Autos are easier to carry as they are flatter. And young guys all want black semi auto things because they seem modern. Look at rifle and handgun sales trends and you will see.
However, for people who actually know how to shoot them, the revolver is the one they will often pick.
I prefer the Colt SAA, 4 3/4 inch. You do not want me to shoot "at" you with one. I will fire one shot, while the guys with their Glocks will lay down a base of "unaimed" fire. And yes, I had the 1911 and then the Beretta 92 during my 28 years. Still like the revolvers.

I haven't found auto's easier to carry. I carry both many times during a week.

But then I carry OWB.

Only the untrained lay down a base of fire.

There are people who don't miss on the first shot no matter what they are shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My kids are all grown + gone now but when they were young, I kept a 1911 in my nightartand drawer (unchambered). I would NEVER keep a loaded revolver in my drawer. The kids were not physically strong enough to work the slide of the 1911 but any kid can pull a trigger on a DA revolver. And don't fool yourself, kids know where everything is in the house + it only takes one time with a neighbors kid when they are playing "show + tell" for a potentially bad situation.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
My kids are all grown + gone now but when they were young, I kept a 1911 in my nightartand drawer (unchambered). I would NEVER keep a loaded revolver in my drawer. The kids were not physically strong enough to work the slide of the 1911 but any kid can pull a trigger on a DA revolver. And don't fool yourself, kids know where everything is in the house + it only takes one time with a neighbors kid when they are playing "show + tell" for a potentially bad situation.

That’s my situation, but not because of kids, but fear of crazy broads! My Taurus Judge would be perfect, but…

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but fear of crazy broads!

I had a friend that dated women like that.

He kept on saying how great they were in bed.

But they sure made the rest of his life a living hell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spray and pray is the most popular form of shooting.

I love my revolvers because they shoot straight, have great triggers, are easy to clean, and I don't have to pick a pile of brass off the ground.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some thoughts on revolvers as defensive weapons based on 34 years as a LEO and carrying Dailey since 1970 :
If you learn to shoot a double action revolver accurately you will be able to shoot most any handgun.
Many revolvers can be carried concealed easier than semi autos
A good selection of holsters will help greatly in carrying any handgun under various circumstances
FBI statistics show that an average gunfight is less than three shots and less then three seconds. A revolver is no disadvantage in those circumstances.
In a contact struggle a revolver will be more reliable as a autoloader can be held out of battery by your opponent.
Today’s Lazer Grips on a revolver add little to no bulk yet are a force multiplier and make it easy to shoot from an ackward position.
A well trained person with a revolver can do a reload with a speed loader almost as fast as an autoloader in most cases.
In states where ammo capacity is restricted the revolver is less so disadvantaged.
As for me, I have always qualified with all handguns in the very top certification but my revolver quads are always tighter groups so for some a revolver may be what they can shoot best and only hits matter in a fight.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Only the untrained miss, and from what I see, that is a very large percentage of shooters. AR members forget that they are a special category and do not come into contact with the commoners.
Here, every rifle is sub MOA and all handgun shooters never go out of the ten ring. I know I don't.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty ,Tom, neither do I. I have been a S+W wheelgun fan since the beginning of time, or so it seems. But after going to Gunsite, I started a relationship with a 1911 + I have no complaints. But REALLY, you know that your early life impressions do control your thoughts; so yes, I still have great faith in revolers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Only the untrained miss, and from what I see, that is a very large percentage of shooters. AR members forget that they are a special category and do not come into contact with the commoners.
Here, every rifle is sub MOA and all handgun shooters never go out of the ten ring. I know I don't.

As I have stated before 90%-7%-3%.

90% own gun and never train 7% train more often 3% are the gun guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Some thoughts on revolvers as defensive weapons based on 34 years as a LEO and carrying Dailey since 1970 :
If you learn to shoot a double action revolver accurately you will be able to shoot most any handgun.
Many revolvers can be carried concealed easier than semi autos
A good selection of holsters will help greatly in carrying any handgun under various circumstances
FBI statistics show that an average gunfight is less than three shots and less then three seconds. A revolver is no disadvantage in those circumstances.
In a contact struggle a revolver will be more reliable as a autoloader can be held out of battery by your opponent.
Today’s Lazer Grips on a revolver add little to no bulk yet are a force multiplier and make it easy to shoot from an ackward position.
A well trained person with a revolver can do a reload with a speed loader almost as fast as an autoloader in most cases.
In states where ammo capacity is restricted the revolver is less so disadvantaged.
As for me, I have always qualified with all handguns in the very top certification but my revolver quads are always tighter groups so for some a revolver may be what they can shoot best and only hits matter in a fight.

At my old department HR218 shoot about 50 percent shoot both. I would agree that revolvers shooter tend to shooter better groups.

I disagree that a revolver can be reloaded as fast as a semi auto. Even with speed loaders. Given the same skill level of the shooter.

The advantage goes to the semi by .5 to 1.5 seconds.

When I at my top form competing my reload time were always faster with a semi auto.

The more movements to reload a revolver just takes more time.

If one is not in top form things get slower.

The advantage is even greater when one has a higher capacity auto.

I have always said if one can get the job done with 5 or six a revolver works well.

Yea I know some have higher cly capacity now days.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
For one attacker, the 357 wheel gun is awesome for sure. I don’t see enough people singing the praise of the 5.7x28 especially when you can have 30 round magazines and have lots of firepower.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom, realistically, if you need a 30 round mag, you are in the wrong part of town. In the 70s I would frequent the Mexican restaurants on San Antonio's West side (Gringos NOT welcome). I always carried a piece + thank God it was never needed. I suppose that I was always a "regular guy" + not some yuppie going slumming. If you are of the neighborhood group + are accepted, the west side is your oyster. Like anything else, enjoy it but don't abuse it; you don't get a 2nd chance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A little off subject but along the same line.

A lot of people talk about carrying a 2nd handgun.

If you need to carry a 2nd handgun.

You need to buy good concealable body armor before.

It will save you far more often then a 2nd handgun ever will.

I tell everybody you will known things have gone bad when you see me wearing armor and carrying a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

As I have stated before 90%-7%-3%.

90% own gun and never train 7% train more often 3% are the gun guys.

From my expereience as a firearms instr. I would agree with this. Easy to buy a gun or accessories, just point and click and the Brown truck shows up, but training takes effort, time and money.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, + that has always amazed me that there are so many LEOs that don't train or practice regularly due to the cost.That should really be a primary concern, IMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
True, + that has always amazed me that there are so many LEOs that don't train or practice regularly due to the cost.That should really be a primary concern, IMO.

The 90-7-3 applies across the board civilians, police and military I have train all of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Autos do carry better, they are flat and in DEA I carried mostly a Browning HP or a Colt Commander..The Hi Power has a 14 to 17 round clip, and reloading a pistol of any kind under real shoot out condition is very very undesirable, My choice for self defence is the HI power based on 43 years of mostly narcotics intervention..

The revolver is dependable and if it failes to fire, you just pull the trigger again, but after 6 shots you can be toast..

But all these pros and cons, don't really count for much, knowing how to shoot, reload, and with proper calibers, I think both the revolver and the auto have a place in the scheme of things and I never felt undergunned or with the wrong one in my hand, so Im calling a tie, and carried both equally, even my chief special a good bit,and its a plus for undercover buys, just what ever ne choses to carry every day, and those that can't do that, probably can't chew gum and walk, but some claim they carry only one gun so as not to get confused..I do not accept that as a legitimate excuse rather a lack of training perhaps...Just my two bits applied to myself, to each his own and what your satisfied with..I will always have both..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the old adage goes "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." IMO, keep that in mind when choosing between the 2. Familiarity with one over is paramount over the other providing he is WELL TRAINED in it's use. But down to brass tacks, although I carry a 1911 I am still a S+W revolver fan. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great thread. Thanks for starting it, Ray.
I've never cared much for the .357, although the first handgun I bought the day I turned 21 was a four-inch Model 28.
I am more comfortable with a 1911, which I blame Jeff Cooper for. Shame on him for letting his thoughts on defensive pistols fall into the hands of impressionable 12-year-olds (Outdoor Life Book Club, "Complete Book of Shooting," 1965).
In recent years, I have paid more attention to the versatile .44 Special and it and the .45 Colt at reasonable velocity with Keith-type bullet doing a lot of useful work.
Tom, I have considered the short-barreled SA for possible carry. A retired LEO friend on Paco's Leverguns forum is currently trying out a 3 1/2-inch "Sheriff's Model" in .45 with the 270-grain Keith at 700 or so as his vision of "an American Bulldog." But Scott is a huge guy with hands that could likely reach all the way around a large grapefruit. An SAA looks positively diminutive in his paw.
For concealed carry, the SAA is a tougher proposition thanks to the butt. For me, autos are easier to pack; slip a Tokarev into the back of your jeans for Mexican carry and you'll forget it is there.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a duty weapon its the semi auto high capacity again it is a defensive weapon and in a offesive scenario a long gun shotgun or AR type rifle .
When I worked i carried the sig 226 but always had either my 940 9mm shrouded S&W, when I retired I sold the 940 and replaced it with the 638 in 38spl, the beauty of this little peace of mind is it can be fired from your pocket flawlessly can't do that with a semi

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I sold the 940 and replaced it with the 638 in 38spl, the beauty of this little peace of mind is it can be fired from your pocket flawlessly can't do that with a semi

The way to go, baby, is snag free!

Having quick access and being able to deploy fast is my game plan. And praying for the time, distance, and luck, to enable my survival. You see, social justice warriors attack without warning, these things go down quick.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to you guys who can shoot the J frame well. I probably should have tried harder. There is a strong argument to be made for the two hammerless models shown for concealed carry.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With practice and good shooting technique they are accurate, when I started in LE our G guns where either new and old style 2" colt detectives or M36 1 7/8 S&W. My impression of these weapons was they where belly guns but I learned from competent shooters they are quite capable of hitting silhouette targets at 50 yds. Larger grips helped But as I said before they are defensive weapons and aren't made for long distant shooting other than suppression fire but with 5 shots only I would just run like a scalded dog at an angle to increase the range and hopefully cause them to run out of ammo.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried a S&W mod 36 Airweitht 38 Special loaded with plus P pLus loads a good part of the time in LE and ind my chaps pocket on the border ranch I had leased south of Marathon...The nice thing about those small guns one tends to carry them, the larger guns spend a lot of time in the glove compartment or front seat of the car or pick up, A 25 auto that one carries every day beats a knife all to hell..but to me a self defense gun starts with the 380 and proper bullets, and still not much gun, thus my choice of the airweight Chief special, its minimum carry for me..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The revolver can not be to dead.

Colt is bringing out a 3 inch Python.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ray, my minimum self defense in 38 special with a good bullet. J Frame Smiths are in my opinion the best for a hide out or totally concealed carry that WILL always function even in contact struggle situations which is what the senior citizens will usually fall victim to because they are easier targets as they age. A good bullet is a must and because revolvers are less ammo dependent on function there is a slight edge there for dependability. A set of boot type lazer grips give an edge to quick hits from odd positions or when moving. In my years as a police officer I cannot tell you just how many officers depended on a J frame or small colt pistol and it was always the preferred backup or hideout in my days. Many now carry small 9mm’s but I still trust a revolver to operate in a contact struggle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another point worth considering, a longer barrel gun is easier to be disarmed since the aggressor can grab the barrel /frame and easily twist the gun out of your hand if its done correctly you will end up with a broken trigger finger and he will have your gun.
A fact the female police officer who was killed in Bradely, Illinois next town from me was killed with her own gun, what I can determine a struggle started over a conversation with another younger female over a simple dog barking in the parking lot, offender engaged the PO some how removed her gun from her holster, a pursuit started down the hallway of a motel wherein the PO was shot multiple time causing her death.

point keep you gun under control don't put your firearm side towards the criminal this way your weak hand will be able to push them away or control them while you either pull your weapon and send them on their journey or secure your gun till the time is right to stamp their ticket...social distance of at least 4 to 6 feet is recommended
I spent several years as firearm instructor and taught firearm tactics and defense, talking is not doing so hands on tactics are necessary to develop and maintain those skills as is marksmanship.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I can remember many instances when I was alone and surrounded by so called badaasses with an attitude. I was always concerned that in a struggle they may go after my firearm. Thus, the hideout as a last chance. In today’s world it’s an even greater risk, soooooooo many against the police, including politicians and prosecutors. A total shitstorm !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Additional info has leaked out but they put the lid on it as everyone know their was two PO the female was killed with her own weapon and the other officer was critically injured and probably another serious wound to the head, it looks like the female PO was dealing with a female occupant when the man she was with grabbed the female officers gun and did all the shooting he fled to Indiana and was apprehended there and his female girlfriend turned herself in to Bradley police. The mans parents have been arrested for aiding in their escape and two other individuals who where at the Indiana location was subsequently arrested after a short pursuit no reason for their arrest.