THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update me on the best 1911 out there tody.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im going to buy myself another 1911, commander style lwt probably in 45 ACP..Gave my old gun to my son...
I have a set of Gold and Silver Mexican grips that came off the Infamous Fred Carrascos pisol, given to me by a Mexican fed..Fred was killed trying to escape Huntsville prison in Texas, He killed several employs before the Texas Rangers killed him..I was instrumental in sending him to prison, so the grips have sentamental value to me and I need a tree to decorate..

There are so many 45 1911s and take offs out there today, and Im not up to date on whats best and not..Be interested in all replies before I buy.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They run the gambit from a few hundred to many thousand.

Les Bauer is rated up towards the top.

Personally I like the Rugers.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a Les Bauer full size + it is the Rolls of 1911s. As to an L.W. Commander, Colt has started making the 70 series again (actually a few years ago) so there are new ones out there, but also one runs across older models as well. I like the Rugers also. I had one that my eldest made me a set of grips that were walnut but he impregnated them with turquoise. I will say that I have NEVER had a mechanical failure with the Ruger, I have with the Colt.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les Bauer and Kimber are probably the best out of the box, but as you pointed out, there are lots to choose from. Hard to go wrong with any of the top tier .45s.

Interesting story about Carrascos.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Im going to buy myself another 1911, commander style lwt probably in 45 ACP..Gave my old gun to my son...
I have a set of Gold and Silver Mexican grips that came off the Infamous Fred Carrascos pisol, given to me by a Mexican fed..Fred was killed trying to escape Huntsville prison in Texas, He killed several employs before the Texas Rangers killed him..I was instrumental in sending him to prison, so the grips have sentamental value to me and I need a tree to decorate..

There are so many 45 1911s and take offs out there today, and Im not up to date on whats best and not..Be interested in all replies before I buy.

My mothers cousin was a Ranger at the standoff

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
There are many out there, and I have a stable full from different manufacturers, but my all-time sentimental favorite is still my Colt Government Series 70 with pre-ban scrimshawed ivory grips (and yes, I have all of the proper paperwork on the grips Big Grin) :

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
The Gunsite Colts are hard to beat, very practical and reliable, and not ridiculously tightened down like a lot of custom pistols.

I have a blue and a matte stainless and been very pleased with both.

"Everything you need and nothing you don't."

https://www.gunsitestore.com/p...s/colt-gunsite-1911/

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right about the Gunsite Colts. I bought one new from Gunsite about 16 years ago. I lost it in the divorce but I think I paid $1600.00 for it at the time + it was well worth it. I damned sure didn't get that when I had to clear inventory. Maybe that bitter pill made me forget about mentioning them. But it's ready to go right out of the box by the Col's standards.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very impressed with Dan Wesson .

I have Colts,
Dan Weason,
A Ruger with slight upgrades,

I do not have any of the big semi custom house guns like Wilson Combat, Night Hawk, Gun Crafter, or Les Baer, or Ed Brown.

I have shot Wilson Combat pistols quite a bit. Love them. I would not want a gun tighter than my Dan Weason or any of the Wilson Combat pistols I have shot. That is just me.

Les Baer Comander type pistols will not sling shot if you care about that.

I like them all. They all all different. One have given me any problems. The Comander Colt has a small, but not actually GI thumb safety that is the only issue.

I changed the sights and backs traps on all them except the Dan Wesson.

The Ruger also had the MIM Thumb Safety, Slide Release replaced just because.

I was shooting milk jugs and grape fruits at 15 yards with the Ruger this weekend.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kimber

Was once a top end maker not any more I have seen a lot of Kimbers with problems.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard about their small frame problems but not their 1911 line. Seems Kimber has gone to shittsville.

Love my old ones... oh well. Roll Eyes

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had two Kimber 1911s, they were crap.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a Springfield 1911 at a killer price and as new..My intention is a trigger job, light fitted barrel bushing and perhaps a throating job...I ran a box of ammo through it both slow fire and fast fire, no jams so far, I recall a 1911 needs about 250 rounds before its broke in...At one time I was an avid 1911er..The went to the Browning HP as I spent more time in Mexico than in Texas..I still have that gun and its never jammed in about 2000 rounds when I quit counting..this gun looks great with the grips on it...one emblem broke off when Fred Carrasco was shot and dropped the gun in Laredo (Mex) while robbing a bank or making a deposit,but they are pretty never the less.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
These days it’s almost like which car should I get; a Geo or a Rolls?

I’ve had some good ones, but was dumb and sold/traded. I haven’t liked a colt out of the box. I hated the Officer’s Model. I did have a Clark custom, but dumb to get rid of it.

I have one of the early Kimbers and it’s great. I also have a more recent Kimber in 10mm and love it for anything with two to four legs. If it has six legs I need a SAW or faster feet.

I did have a 6” AMT Hardballer that was cool and shot well. I’ve also had good SA 1911s.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've probably had as many 1911's as anyone, but mky favorite out of the box ones are dan wesson sig and s&w

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray,
A better question to ask might be, which 1911's should I avoid. Through my gun store I have had problems with the new Colts and Kimbers. Most of the other 1911's, from cheap to the high priced Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, Brown 1911,s are all very good. I personally like the Commander size and the Officer size for concealed carry.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a few 1911's . Had a Kimber commander 45 I gave my son.
I recently applied for my CHL so it was a good excuse to pursuede my wife I required a new type of firearm. I am a pretty good salesman...
I did my own research and targeted a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 super.
Commander style with Bobbed grip. Feels about as good in hand as a CZ grip (I think Ed Brown) thought up the design. Balanced very well. I use my CZ 75D PCR compact as a benchmark reference.
Stainless Steel slide and alloy frame. Duty coat which I believe is nitro carburizing. I have a Dan Wesson Valor and it is the most durable finished I have ever seen.
Did some research on the 38 super and it is quite the cartridge.
In a gun like the Guardian with a fully supported chamber you can shoot a winchester 9x23 though it. 125 gr @ 1450 FPS
Basically the equivalent of a 357 magnum with less recoil than a 45 ACP.
9+1 in the chamber on a single stack.
27 oz firearm made with all forged and milled parts in the state of New York.
What is not to like?
Have a good friend that offered me an Ed Brown Kobra Carry 45 which has the same dimensions as the Guardian except all steel and 7-8 oz more for $2K.
Just wanted the lighter DW Guardian 38 super.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 38 Super is a great round.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recently applied for my CHL so it was a good excuse to pursuede my wife I required a new type of firearm. I am a pretty good salesman...

What did she want in return? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny,
I picked very well the second time around. She is beautiful and low maintenance. She has noted she has never felt more secure than with me. Believes I am not scared of anything. Probably a little more imposing than most from my stature. 63 and still look like a college line backer. Blessed genetics and diet I suppose. I always am friendly, good natured and smile and people just have never seen reason to messed with me.
I doubt I will carry often but...
I take her shooting with me. She took the CHL class as well and enjoys shooting.
You know, most thugs are cowards and target people that they feel they can intimidate.
If someone is bigger than them they will look for weaker prey.
I try real hard to stay away from areas that pose threats.

I failed to mention that my most favored firearm acquisitions are fine SXS shotguns. These pistols are far less painful to the bank account.That makes her happy..
Staying fit for the next big hunting adventure.

quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
quote:

What did she want in return? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dave

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I carry an old 1911 Colt Government Model marked US Army. It was made in 1917. I shoot a 70 Series Gold Cup National Match in Wild Bunch Action Shooting. Both are 100% reliable for me.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
curious....from what time period/ser # seperates the old kimbers from the new? i carry a kimber custom shop ultra covert 11 # KU2650XX. never had an issue at all. maybe 2000 rds thru it. would it be considered a good old one or a bad new one? thanks

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a Jim Garthwaite custom.

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At best, "best" is a relative term. Tongue in cheek.

I'd be interested to hear about the problems with so-called "newer" Kimbers. I own 3. Two are Pro Carry II, mid-sized models and one is a full size tactical model. All are about 20 years old. Never had an issue with any of them after thousands of rounds through each.

As others have said, Les Baer makes a great 1911. Solid product with a long history of excellence. I own one, which has also never let me down.

I also have a clunker WWII Remington, marked US Army on the slide that has been gutted and worked on by various smiths many, many times over the years. In my hands it performs as well as any of my others. Is one better than the other? I don't think so. They're just different.

Very few shooters are talented enough to shoot whatever difference might exist between any 2 guns picked up randomly off the counter. Over time, yes, but initially, no. This is also true with sporting shotguns used in the various clays games.

I think it's more a matter of consistency, reliability, personalized triggers and personal fit. And with pistols, don't forget sights. Some designs just don't work for some guys.

The gun needs to be fitted to the shooter and vice versa. The term "best" to me, has no meaning.

I might also add that many of the spec ops shooters who use a gun everyday to defend themselves will almost ALWAYS go with a stock, out of the box specimen. Which begs the question, what does "best" mean?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. "Best" can be argued indefinitely between Ford or Chevy fans. I would offer the answer to that is, what you can handle well, accuracy, + as close to 100% reliable performance as you can get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older Kimbers, 2004 and older, seem to be much better than the new ones. Customers I've had in my store have complained they have sent their new Kimbers back to the company because of feeding problems, stove piping, and the usual 1911 problems.Some of them numerous times. I've also had customers say their new Kimber is the best 1911 ever. Go figure! For the same money, I think there are better options. Colt 1911's are much the same. I've ordered Colts for customers that were nothing but problems. Colt was not helpful, had to sort it out myself, at my expense. The upper end of the 1911's, Baer, Nighthawk, Brown, Wilson, etc, are the best of the best, until you go for the one offs that start at many thousands and go up from there. Those are in a class by them selves. At the present time, there are better choices than Kimber and Colt, with a lot fewer headaches.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Les Baer that I don't carry in my vehicle. I carry the Kimber as I have felt that if I had to use it I would lose it + a Kimber is a better loss. I know, I hear myself, in the tradition of Jack Benny when the mugger says, "Your money or your life" + Jack says. "Give me a minute, I'm thinking."

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I don't carry where I live in rural Alaska as there is no need. I do have a 1911 I purchased from NC and it's a nice pistol and works well. I don't know what I'd do to it as I don't see how it can get any better. But, I know little of such matters. I do like the originality of any older firearm.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
For years the Series 70 Colt Govt Models from the late 60s to the early 70s had the best forged steel in them.
With NM barrels and King -Tappan sights, mine work day in-day out. One has melted Bo-Mars and an original Armand Swensen ambi safety. A CARRY GUN MUST FUNCTION. So accuracy is important, but reliability is paramount. A couple have been carried into Mexico, like Ray in the old days with State-ICE.
Stick with full size 1911s. The Commander sized pistols are OK, but malfunctions may increase
the further away from J. Brownings original size and caliber. Unless you are regularly shooting through cars. Throated chamber and good sights. Test your ammunition for reliability.
Marriott
US Army Special Forces
MACVSOG-7th-10th SFG (ABN) Khe Sanh (71-72)
US Dept of State-USBP/ICE

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colt Goverment series 70. carried one for 30 years has never failed.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1502 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, that is a great pistol. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Leonard:
Look for a Jim Garthwaite custom.

I have such a beast. A full house custom build on a Colt rame and slide, all tool steel parts. The gun runs and the attention to detail is impressive.

If you want a factory gun avoid Kimber and if you can put politics aside, Springfield Armory 1911's run. I have one of the Custom shop (which no longer exists) FBI pistols, a very tight gun.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Use enough Gun,
Awesome gun, who did the blue? and those grips, I love aged Ivory, I have a beautiful very old set on my grandads Ranger gun, a colt 45 L.C.

I like the standard 1911 over the concealed carry shortys, I retired from DEA some 20 years plus ago. concealed carry in my belt right side butt forwad (Mexican Carry) cocked and locked..

The compacts are nice but if you get in a wrestling match or on foot chase,the shortys tend to fall out of your waste band and that is an Aw shit moment..The longer barrel and a couple of rubber bands under the trigger on the grip will prevent this..Most border agents used this carry for a number of reasons.

I went with the standard 1911 Springfield, and its functioning perfect, its accurate as can be, but needed a trigger job and Ive done that, I got the fancy gold and silver grips on it as they fit it, wouldn't fit on a commander. So far no jams, but if one shows up I will throat it, and I may have it blued or nickled at some point..The military sights shoot a tad high at 25 yards so Im good with that. I still can't get over that blue job on Use enough Guns 1911 pictured here and the grips are to kill for..nice.

Based mostly on what I saw in Mexico raiding Heroin labs, the Border Patrol 45 ACP Federal 230 gr. HP is a deadly load, Same in their 9mm Fed load..Mexican police loved them and the Border patrol an Customs kept them in ammo if they were the good guys.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ray: That's the original bluing by Colt on my Series 70 1911. Big Grin The ivory grips were gifted to me, along with all of the import paperwork for them, being pre-ban. The scrimshaw of the lion and leopard is incredible. I am currently having a knife sheath, belt, an extra mag holder and a GS2 Outside Waist Band holster for the 1911 being made by Ryan Grizzle out of Georgia. He's doing them all in matching nicotine elephant. You should check out his work. He's one of the very best in the U.S. and very reasonably priced. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason I bought the gun was to have a home for the grips, so I have the Book, Fred CArrasco Herion Merchant, the grips he had, and a .45 to go with that..I lost the first book somehow, but found another for $260 on the internet, some are selling for $600..I made the Cocaine and Heroin buys from Fred and his Sacarico so the book and grips will to to my kids..I caught hell over losing the first book..and I'll shoot the .45 a lot as I have a lot of ammo for it..A little bit of history preserved..Fred was truly an evil man, killed 3 or 4 people some were female nurses at Huntsville prison in Huntsville Texas, ultimatly killed by a Texas Ranger during the escape..Prison officials made Fred a trustee after many letters to them to not do so..The whole story is on the internet.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120