Find
Notify
Tools

protection of schools is a needed change in the thinking
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
No1 The first thing that needs doing is removing of the signs at schools that states "THIS SCHOOL IS A GUN FREE ZONE".

The reason for this is, if you think sensibly, that sign is an invitation for a simple WALK THROUGH AREA and shoot all a perp being free of being shot back at!

.2 have staff trained in the use of defensive use of a fire arm, and when, and when not to use the firearm. Then be allowed to obtain a legal permit to carry a handgun in the building and on school grounds.

.3 Then make the public aware of the fact that these schools, and churches are legally armed against intruders with ill intent to the legal inhabitants of the school or church.

Ladys and gentlemen, it is easy for a criminal to simply walk through a school or church calmly shooting unarmed people with no fear of being killed him/herself. The fact is, if that perp knows he is in danger of being shot from just about anyone he/she contacts in the property with the ability, and legality to shoot back, IMO, that would stop these cowardly shootings to a very great extent. Sure there will still be the suicided prone person will not stop, but most of these dopes are simply cowards that pick those who can't defend themselves.
As it is today schools are not protected, and are simply a shooting gallery where the targets can't shoot back!

…………………………………………………………………. old killpc

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
My daughter had soccer practice at a local high school's indoor facility this week since the weather was cold.

As I pulled up to the school they had signs prominently displayed that the staff was armed and wouldn't hesitate to use force if necessary.

Step in the right direction.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
My daughter had soccer practice at a local high school's indoor facility this week since the weather was cold.

As I pulled up to the school they had signs prominently displayed that the staff was armed and wouldn't hesitate to use force if necessary.

Step in the right direction.

Gotta love Texas!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a news special on CBS Sunday Morning last week about arming teachers in Ohio. It was a volunteer program using firearm experts
( https://fastersaveslives.org/) that offered classroom training, live fire range time and onsite in schools “active shooter” scenarios. They, the teachers and administrators, were real serious about it.

I was impressed with the program.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I watched a video on the Ohio program and it certainly could be a basis for others to develop their own.I still think a lot of what should be known about the wack-a-doodle mass shooters is hidden behind HIPPA.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a teacher is willing to carry, the school should provide gun, ammo and training and some extra pay.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Here in Liberty Hill, Pastor Corey at the Cowboy Church has no problems with armed parishioners. Likewise my Methodist preacher friend for a lifetime in his church in Mason (of course he's a gunner too). As to the schools, I wholeheartedly agree. A good case in point is the schools in Israel where they do have armed guards (mostly elderly volunteers but so what, it works.) I like your idea carpet man but as you are a Texas resident as well then you know that the tax dollars won't go to that sensible program but to increase an administrator's salary. I for one really resent being forced to finance that B.S.!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I remember the days when I took my 410 shotgun to school, left it with a box of ammo behind the classroom door.

No one worried about anything.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with my 22. After school, you could hunt rabbits on the way home. No one was worried + there were no issues.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed and Norman,

I went to Catholic School. Some might view that as rather strict. But the brothers all knew that if a season was open, dove, quail, duck, deer, I had a firearm and ammunition in the trunk of my old 1963 Impala on school property because I was going to try to get a quick hunt in after school. And during deer season, a rifle and ammunition were in the trunk every Friday, because that was where I was going as soon as class let out. They knew it and they didn't care. How different is it today?

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extremely + not for the better.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I did the same thing with my 22. After school, you could hunt rabbits on the way home. No one was worried + there were no issues.

When in high school I actually got an "A-plus" grade in shop for building and fitting a custom stock to a 8-mm Mauser rifle in shop, at Yseleta high school just outside El Paso Texas back in 1952. That year there were six rifle stocks made from a block of wood, and fitted to various rifles of different calibers in that school wood shop. And you never saw a pick-up in Texas that didn't have a rifle and shotgun in a back window rack.
Times have changed, and not for the better in my opinion!

…...…………………………...….MacD37 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you never saw a pick-up in Texas that didn't have a rifle and shotgun in a back window rack.

And, that included many throughout the Western United States and it also including many in the high school parking lots. I know, I was one of them. Hunted either before or after school or both, unless athletics dictated otherwise. tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, the country was better back then but I'm sure every generation said that. That doesn't make it a wrong statement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marathon Texas, 1953, check your deer rifle into the principles office, check it out after school and go deer hunting..

Today no more! what a shame..The armed people that protect our children should be the best of the best trained..Lots or good retired cops would be the best of the best, they know all the ropes and have the capability is their health is up to snuff..An over looked source for our schools. Off duty cops is another and a added source of income, and last but not least is the local depts furnishing a school cop each day and the comunity adding that to the budget..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marathon Texas, 1953, check your deer rifle into the principles office, check it out after school and go deer hunting..

Hayward Wis. 1974 Friday carry shotgun on school bus place in your locker carry on another school bus to friends house for a weekend of hunting.

Reverse on Monday.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, we got to live it, something our grandkids will never do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Proper training" is the hitch Mac., even our cops get 2 weeks in most states Ive been in..Not much training to protect a school full of kids and hostages..

I saw some idiot walking the streets and intothe grocery store with colt single actions tied down on his like in a Western movie, and in need of a bath and clean clothes, scary dude..No damn wonder some folks get scared and go for gun control..My first thought was that guy if he got in a fire fight in the store he'd more than likely piss down his leg and cry for his mama..

I prefer concealed carry laws, for one reason if a bad guy takes over in a resturant, store or whatever, Id act like meek old turd, and kill the sob as soon as he turned his back!! if he sees a gun on you then you might become his first target. AT best he will take the gun and your useless...No second chance in this kind of situation..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Guns and abortion are the two big issues used by politicians to keep the citizens divided. I'd like to find a common ground that both sides can agree on so we don't stay on this path of each side preaching to their chosen choir.

Anyway, this is somewhat of a rough generalization but the rise in school shootings has somewhat coincided with the rise of keeping children medicated for whatever reasons. Most shooters are on or have been on and stopped taking within the last 10 days or so some type of medication but you never really see or hear about what they were.

I would be in favor of voiding any and all HIPAA protections of anyone convicted of "mass murder". Since the left side of gov't has no issues with gutting the 2nd Amendment even for the law-abiding they shouldn't be opposed to murderers losing protections. Same with the right side of the aisle, no problem with murderous felons losing the right to vote, might as well lose the right to medical privacy too.

Notice I am conveniently overlooking the issue that the Pharma industry is one of the biggest political donors, that's a different can of worms.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a real can of worms it is. My step-daughter is an M.D. When she got out of med school Big Pharma offered her a 7 million sign on bonus. She refused but she was just one of many to be approached.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Food for thought is LE officers mostly are required to retire at 55 in most states and the fed gov..Those guy usually need jobs and they are trained and capable and have 20 or more years of experience...protecting your children would be a woth considering such a program..and supplement their income without breaking the bank..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120