New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have looked at everybody and cannot find the holster I want.

1911 commander specific length,

I want the barrel covered, but do not want a five inch full length holster. If I did I would have bought another 5 inch pistol,

Leather,

Thumb break cocked and locked,

Perferably the bottom of holster would be closed.

Banchi comes close but the barrel is exposed.

Anybody have any suggestions.

Thank any and all in advance.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No thumb break, but the Milt Sparks IWB Summer Special works well for my Commanders.

If you can find one used, SafariLand once made a nice leather holster that was all you wanted excepting the closed bottom. Mine is black, basketweave, elk lined, sight track and has a thin metal reinforcement at the thumb break to improve reliability. Mine isn't for sale.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you run across another please remember me.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw few when I bought mine new in the 70's. Like many items, expensive but excellent.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milt sparks all the way. Brownells should have the summer special in stock for your fun, they usually do.

I’ve had at least 6, four of which were custom made.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You might also check with 'robrost' here on AR. He deals in holsters.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman: Thank you I did a member search for robrost and could not find him.

I looked up Sparks website. Good looking wares. Does the back of the holster come up into a sweat shield. I cannot tell compromise the pic.

I am looking at the 55 BN.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
It is robsrost with an S in the middle. He is in the classified section all the time.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

I looked up Sparks website. Good looking wares. Does the back of the holster come up into a sweat shield. I cannot tell compromise the pic.

His AR name is robsrost the "S" was left out! Try again!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

His AR name is robsrost the "S" was left out! Try again!

I found him and thank you both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 55bn is an owb holster, that is my favorite of that type. IWB you will want the summer special II, which does have a sweat shield.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Leather...h+thumb+snap+leather

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/...RDevK7hoCRVgQAvD_BwE

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Galco Fletch. Not completely closed, but close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the ElPaso saddlery holster stack uo to the Sparks holster. I wish Sparks built a holster just like the El Paso.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like many people here I have at least one box full of various holsters. Now for CCW I only use the Milt Sparks Versa Max. By far the most comfortable for me, can carry an all metal commander size 1911 all day. The boning holds its'shape and the inside is well finished; with a little Rosens' "Leather Lightening" the draw is very smooth (how fast it is is up to you)
Wink.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is "leather lightening"? Leather holsters are normally rough side in. How does this help, and what does it do to retention (ie. keeping it in the holster)?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
" Leather Lightening" is a product put out by holster maker Mitch Rosen. Comes in a small white bottle and is a thick fluid that you apply by hand directly to the inside of the holster . Was recommended to me by a fellow student at the Sig Academy. It is best to use prior to repeated drawing drills. It seems to reduce the friction found on leather (vs Kydex)and the break on the draw making it more smooth and even. Doesn't leave any residue and does not reduce holster tension (retention). The timer doesn't lie it took at least tenth of my draw time. I'm sure there are more technical explanations this was my take on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody use or have a HBE Specialty
Leathers Works holsters.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You might also look at a Kramer. They have several options. Each one is built to your specifications and your gun. I have several and have never found anything else I like better.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman after much nashing of teeth I just ordered a OWB Style 2 holsters for my Colt Commander and DW Silverback 10mm from S and S Custom Leather Works.

Why? He does a very nice thumb break and closed the muzzle of the holsters. I liked his overall for lack of a better word style. The Commander holster will also be Commander holster will be specific to the 4.25 barrel.

I also have to take my handgun on and off being an attorney. The OWB Style 2 has belt snap loops.

The leather will be cowhide, mahogany with brown thread, and no panel.

The price was 167.00 dollars shipped for each.

All I have to do is live for another six to eight weeks.

This combo will replace my SR 1911 45 Auto in a BlackHawk leather CQB.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Please understand I am not trying to thumb anyone in the eye. Every suggestion was looked at and found to be of quality. If I did not care about the thumbreak, I would have went with the Mil Sparks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My holsters came today. After an hour in wax paper. The fit is perfect. Had to go out to town an hour drive one way with the silverback just to try it on. The snap loops work as advertised. I am more comfortable taking the pistol off with the snap loops belt on than vise versa. But that is no real deal. I get used to.

The only problem is I lube the silverback heavily with FP10. Some must have run down from the muzzle/bushing with the pistol inverted in the holster staining it with two black dots on both sides of the holster.

No bodies fault but my own. Did not think of that one. If the holster was black instead of Mahagony it would not have mattered or been visible. Oh well live and learn.

Anyone want pics pm an email address or iPhone cell number.

If you are looking for leather add S&S Custom Leather Works to the list of folks you ed to look at.

The holsters were shipped Tuesday arrived today.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that is always looking for the "right holster" (complicated because he uses the wrong hand to do things) and he said that Simply Rugged makes what you are looking for.

If I carried a gun I I would carry some version of mouse gun in my pocket . . . IF I even owned guns that is.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you TC.

I looked at them, but just was not what I wanted. These S&S holsters are exactly what I wanted. Just got back from Knoxville a little room but not uncomfortable with a light sport coat over.

I am completely satisfied.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
PM Sent....

quote:
Thank you TC.

I looked at them, but just was not what I wanted. These S&S holsters are exactly what I wanted. Just got back from Knoxville a little room but not uncomfortable with a light sport coat over.

I am completely satisfied.

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to TTGunleather IWB holsters. They do emulate the Milt Sparks Versa Max w/o the same wait. I have two, both in Black, with one trimmed in shark. Beautiful.

shorturl.at/gtCMN

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at Tucker Leather - they make some really nice leather holsters, belts etc. I have their Pancake and HF2 holsters. They have lots of options like lined, sweat shield, leather color, thread color, different stamping etc. Talk to Rob if you don’t see what you want and he can probably hook you up.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote