New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pathetic performance with handguns by me
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have stayed out of this for long enough! Beretta, other than your CZ 75, are the other guns you are trying to shoot safe action guns? You should be able to shoot your CZ 75, but if not, have you tried using a pistol rest, like an MTM? If you dont have a pistol rest, do you have a rear bag rifle rest (the kind with rabbit ears.
I suggest you use such a rest, set up a standard slow (or rapid) fire bullseye target at 25 yards. the reason for this is that the aiming point (the black) is tailored for this distance. Use a 6 o'clock hold for the front sight, and center it in the rear sight. You do this by looking for the light on each side of the front sight. Then shoot a 5 shot group. By resting the gun and just focussing on the sight picture you should be able to shoot a recognizable group. The group the gun is capable of shooting is available from various gun tests done by the NRA. Just don't rest the barrel on the rest, only the frame, easier for a pistol than a revolver!
As I said above I think you should shoot a single action pistol with a decent trigger. This might explain your preference for a 9 mm revolver as I assume that you are shooting it single action.
As to the pump action shotgun, sorry but I am not going to give away my position to any intruder(s). They will find out soon enough!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a shotgun as a primary weapon at home as well. And one is leaned in the corner behind the desk in my home office and comes to bed with me at night when I knock off work. As to giving away my position by chambering a round, they're going to get the picture of where I am pretty quick when the beam from the Surefire on the front rail hits them in the face anyway. I'd rather make sure it's not someone just in the wrong place or give them a chance to turn tail and run if they had evil intent in the first place. Anyway, I'm better armed than they are. I have half a box of buckshot with a military grade red dot and aforementioned Surefire in my favor. Before we get to handguns, which seems rather unlikely. Hope it never comes up, but I can afford to take my time to some extent.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, you can play with your handguns all you want, but for home =defense, a combat shotgun is the way to go.

I have a Benelli m4. I need to load it up Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:
Plenty of Manurhin MR 73 357 revolvers, both new and used, now available on the US market. A few are available with spare 9 mm cylinders. MR 73s are currently manufactured by Chapuis and imported by Ken Busch at Kebco and by J.J. Perodreau
MR 73 is the choice of the French GIGN, among the most proficient practical revolver shooters of all times. Standard GIGN training is 150 full power 158 gr rounds per day. The MR 73 can handle that for more than 100K rounds, while still delivering target quality accuracy. Not cheap at around $3K new or as new used, but less than the $6-$7K for a Korth.
The film l'assaut, available on line, shows the GIGN and the MR 73 in action dealing with terrorists holding an airplane filled with hostages.

I will take a look Manurhin. Probably need to give ken a call.

My first step is probably a smith Wesson performance center 986 in 5 inch barrel.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Well, I have stayed out of this for long enough! Beretta, other than your CZ 75, are the other guns you are trying to shoot safe action guns? You should be able to shoot your CZ 75, but if not, have you tried using a pistol rest, like an MTM? If you dont have a pistol rest, do you have a rear bag rifle rest (the kind with rabbit ears.
I suggest you use such a rest, set up a standard slow (or rapid) fire bullseye target at 25 yards. the reason for this is that the aiming point (the black) is tailored for this distance. Use a 6 o'clock hold for the front sight, and center it in the rear sight. You do this by looking for the light on each side of the front sight. Then shoot a 5 shot group. By resting the gun and just focussing on the sight picture you should be able to shoot a recognizable group. The group the gun is capable of shooting is available from various gun tests done by the NRA. Just don't rest the barrel on the rest, only the frame, easier for a pistol than a revolver!
As I said above I think you should shoot a single action pistol with a decent trigger. This might explain your preference for a 9 mm revolver as I assume that you are shooting it single action.
As to the pump action shotgun, sorry but I am not going to give away my position to any intruder(s). They will find out soon enough!
Peter

Will get a rest.

I heard from someone in le that most police shooting are at 3-4 yards and to a large degree the handgun is like an extension of the hand.

I was shooting the 929 double action.

I like nice triggers on handguns.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, after you try shooting from a rest, hopefully with good results, you might consider getting a trigger job on your CZ 75, or whatever is the gun of your choice.
You might want to Google FBI Qualification course. You might be surprised. Personally I would not want to model my pistol shooting skill level on the local constabulary.
Pistol shooting is a sport in it's own right with Bullseye, IPSC, IDPA etc. etc. It's fun! Additionally, you can try shooting falling plates, if your range has them.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might want to Google FBI Qualification course. You might be surprised. Personally I would not want to model my pistol shooting skill level on the local constabulary

Having instructed hundreds of LEO's and civilians the limiting factor is the shooter.

It all depends on their desire.

If they want to be a better shot they will find a way to improve them selves.

The numbers work out like this for firearm owners 90% really don't care 7% care more and work at it 3% are the gun guys that live and eat firearms.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my instinctive shooting has been with my S%W combat magnum over the years shooting double action and I worked the double action over many years ago...I cut the hammer off of it at that time..replaced the hammer and gave it to my grandson a year ago..

I think if you can master a double action revolver, then you can shoot any pistol instinctively, or so it seems to me..My present chief special was a retire gift from my group squad..I cut the hammer off it and honed the action and its good to 25 yards 5 fast shots on a torso target..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think if you can master a double action revolver, then you can shoot any pistol instinctively, or so it seems to me

For sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also from a safety point, the double action revolver is much better for any beginner, and for most average citizens...Auto tend to be loaded when beginners think they are not..

Not all policemen can shoot, the smaller depts. dont have the funds and in many cases the Cheif or sheriff is political and their only experience is truck driving...

The big city depts are usually required to qualify every month are go to a desk job if there scores are below 70, but thats a maybe also as they end up short handed..Its a rat race.

All this said, the average police officer is truly dedicated to his job and for that we have all been blessed, and they all tend to get rid of the bad apples sooner or later, just that sometimes a poor standard is set in the big cities and the dedicated officer gets the covid 10, greed and corruption.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind however, even with a shotgun you must point the target...too many folks assume you can wipe out the room with a 6 inch pattern, not so, all you can expect at best is to make a pair out of one guy..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a long slide for the vp9.

https://us.hkwebshop.com/hksto...slide-kit/p/51001081

It fits over my existing vp9 and vp40.

Turns out I am not really that incompetent with a handgun.

I used to target shoot air pistols as a teenager and was shooting my handguns the same way. Age, lack of flexibility and left eye dominance with high handed shooting really screwed up my handgun shooting. That and not shooting handguns for 2 plus decades.

I went to a charity event organized by an ar member. A little training from some very specialized current and ex military folks on the right grip completely changed my shooting.

I went to my range for the summer steel action shooting. Need it to qualify in the action ranges and I need to attend 6 matches.

I shot better than middle of the pack without cheating - ie using red dots or low recoil ammo. Second time in my life shooting steel targets.

The training on correct grip helped significantly.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Age, lack of flexibility and left eye dominance with high handed shooting really screwed up my handgun shooting. That and not shooting handguns for 2 plus decades.

Age, lack of flexibility and not shooting for two decades. Has far more to do with it.

Eye dominance has very little effect on shooting a hand gun. For most shooters

Unlike shooting a long gun.

I explain it to the shooter but 99% of them just automatically.

Cock their head so see the sights with their dominate eye.

The only time it has an adverse effect is shooting around barricades.

Then one has to expose more of the head to get the proper sight picture.

But that happens to all who can not switch to the none dominate eye.

Glad your shooting is coming along.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
For any of you living on the east coast or southeast, I highly recommend training at The Range Complex in Autryville, North Carolina. It’s just outside Fayetteville & Ft. Bragg; home of Army Special Forces. They have outstanding instructors and facilities. I live in California and I’ll be going back there again, I thought they were that good.

therangecomplex.com.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
For any of you living on the east coast or southeast, I highly recommend training at The Range Complex in Autryville, North Carolina. It’s just outside Fayetteville & Ft. Bragg; home of Army Special Forces. They have outstanding instructors and facilities. I live in California and I’ll be going back there again, I thought they were that good.

therangecomplex.com.

+1

They are simply the best.

Mike