New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther trigger pull
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if a ppks trigger can be lightened for double action firing? In single action mode it is fine , but very heavy pull in double action. The pistol is new to us but used appears to be made in 1991 Interarms mgf. It is accurate feeds well , But my wife can hardly pull trigger in double action mode. I stripped it down and applied outers gun greas to all internal parts and worked the action to try to loosen it up, did not have any luck any help Please?

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in sympathy with your request, but, please make sure that after you do whatever you need to do to lighten the DA pull, that you thoroughly test the gun for reliable ignition. Can your wife rack the slide or is that why you want her to shoot DA? Small frame semi autos can be very difficult to rack the slide on due to inadequate purchase on the slide.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She has serious issues with racking the slide on the walther, she is fine with Beretta and a smith wesson bodyguard I guess we will keep up the training thanks

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rug, have you considered buying her a revolver eg. a Ruger LCR? I have one in 38 Spl. and it is small enough to fit (in a pocket holster) in my pocket. No safeties etc. to worry about, just pull the trigger!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If you plan on stoning the sear go slow. Several years ago I had an AMT in 22 mag. that had the most horrendous trigger pull. With only a few passes on the stone, it went full auto.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter ,Yes we have an old mod 36 smith 5 shot ,she shoots it well but tells me its not "sexy enough" whatever that means. norman that could get crazy real fast Thanks guys

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True. Fortunately, I had the foresight to buy another hammer + sear from Brownell's before even starting the project. That was a smart move as shortly after the fact AMT went belly up + you couldn't get parts. As to the "sexy" issue, how about a Ladysmith in their line? Revolvers might be the way to go; they're pretty forgiving. You could even sweeten the deal by getting her a box of scented bullets by Faberge. Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good smith can do wonders on a PPK..The S&W revolvers are easy to polish out and some advocate the thinning og the hammer spring and cutting back the trigger return spring..I cut springs on my mod. 36 about the first year of issue, thats too far back to remember but I was a sho nuff young man. Its slicker n snot of double action and I also cut the hammer spur off..never has failed to fire or had any function problems..I think today you can buy hammers and spring sets that are pre fitted to a great trigger job..

Ive seen trigger pulls fail, and the results were deadly, in each case it was from cutting or thinning the hammer spring and trigger return spring too much, it critical, and probably best not to be done on a service pistol, just polish out the action and let wear do the rest.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote