Tools

Alabama voter arrested for open carry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Alabama voter arrested for open carry at polling place
Posted on November 5, 2014 by Sam Rolley Views: 510
5 Shares

Despite having the law on his side, an Alabama voter was arrested Tuesday and held for a “voting violation” for showing up at a Pelham polling place open carrying a .357 Magnum Taurus revolver.

According to reports, gun rights activist Robert Kennedy Jr. arrived at the polling site Tuesday morning when he encountered a Shelby County Sheriff’s deputy who ordered him to surrender the firearm before searching the voter and placing him in a patrol car.

Kennedy, a founding member of the gun rights group BamaCarry, had previously been turned away from the polls in June when he tried to vote while wearing his firearm, but had been allowed to vote while armed during a runoff in July.

Officials, in an effort to thwart Kennedy’s gun rights in the midterm election, recently announced than “no firearms” signs would be placed at polling sites in the county.

“Each polling location in Shelby County will have a ‘No Firearm’ sign posted at the entrance of the precinct, at the requests of the private property owner or governing body of the property. This will be enforced in accordance with Alabama law,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement last week.

“Our goal is to allow every registered voter in Shelby County the right to vote in an influence-free environment,” Sheriff Chris Curry said in the statement last week. “Voting is a constitutional right and it is our job to facilitate the process effectively and efficiently.”

But the Alabama Attorney General’s Office recently issued an opinion that Alabama polling places cannot issue a blanket ban on Alabama voters open carrying at polling sites, according to AL.com.

And the Alabama Constitution’s Section 192 provides that there are very few reasons a voter in the state can be arrested at the polls, stating: “Electors shall in all cases, except treason, felony, or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at elections, or while going to or returning therefrom.”

Sheriff’s officials told local media that Kennedy was arrested for a “voting law violation.”

Sheriff’s Capt. Ken Burchfield emailed AL.com: “It shall be unlawful for any person to obstruct, intimidate, threaten, or coerce any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he or she may choose, or for the purpose of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for state or local office or any other proposition at any election. Any person who violates this section shall be guilty, upon conviction, of a Class A misdemeanor.”

A representative of the campaign to elect Democrat Joe Hubbard as Alabama’s attorney general called the incident an example of voter suppression in Alabama.

“Shelby County Sheriff’s Deputies arrested a Pelham voter as he was attempting to exercise his right to vote, because he was also exercising his right to lawfully carry a firearm in accordance with the Alabama and United States Constitutions,” the statement said.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess a fat lawsuit is coming, along with a visit from the Justice Department, the Alabama Attorney General's office, and perhaps even the ACLU.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
When are people going to see that this so called gun rights movement "open carry" is more detrimental to our gun rights than any measure in recent times. I've said too many times, these are not the people I want representing my right to bear arms.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
When are people going to see that this so called gun rights movement "open carry" is more detrimental to our gun rights than any measure in recent times. I've said too many times, these are not the people I want representing my right to bear arms.

+1

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people enjoy sitting in the back of the bus.

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Macs B on this. Just because you have the right to do something does not make it a good idea.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Ignore your rights and you will surely loose them

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I walked in the office where my brother in law works to tell him I had a rifle in my truck for him to use over the week end. He asked why I wasn't carrying my pistol on my hip as I am so prone to do when I am out. I told him I wasn't in the mood to see every one wetting their pants and I didn't need a visit from a cop to make sure the pistol was legal.
I could see about every one in my polling place wetting them selves if one was to express the open carry right here in Michigan.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY local polling place IS at a "Gun Club" and frankly nobody would bat an eye at somsone showing up armed with any firearm not-mounted to a self propelled chassis.

Then again I live in Pennsylvania, so...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Ignore your rights and you will surely loose them

Continue to express your rights in the manner which seems so popular these days and you will without question lose your rights.

Odly enough I advocate open carry over concealed, and do so often. However I consider it to be plain poor judgement as referenced in the op's article.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've said too many times, these are not the people I want representing my right to bear arms.

The Constitution represents your right to bear arms, not how others choose to exercise their right.
I understand your point, but totally disagree that the possibility that open carry could make someone uncomfortable is reason to even temporarily relinquish your right to protect yourself.
You have a right to carry and they have a right to think what they will about it.
Now, using privately owned premises as a polling place muddies the water because the property owner can instate any rules he chooses to.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheriff’s Capt. Ken Burchfield emailed AL.com: “It shall be unlawful for any person to obstruct, intimidate, threaten, or coerce any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he or she may choose, or for the purpose of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for state or local office or any other proposition at any election. Any person who violates this section shall be guilty, upon conviction, of a Class A misdemeanor.”

I hope he had a complaint from a "victim" of the obstruction, etc... Or it will likely not turn out well for the S.O.

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote