Notify
Tools

Best pepper spray gun
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Need to deter a neighbor's dog.

I'm guessing the wife needs a point and shoot. There's no time to flip open caps to reach a spray plunger.

I'm thinking a pepper spray gun that you just grab and pull a trigger. No thinking required!

One-hand operation required.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
IMO, the pistol gripped bear spray canister would be best, it looks like it holds a pint. Before buying though, you might want to check the law, I bought one and was then informed that using the big ones on Humans was illegal in Texas!!??. Against a dog is probably OK, but I would check.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have sprayed a lot of dogs using normal sized can that most police carry on their belts

A couple of Oz's at the most the brand I have left over from my LEO days has the safety built into its carrier so when you pull it out it is ready to use.

A canister of bear spray would work also.

Some states have limits on what size you can carry

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, this is not about pepper spray but in my opinion, if you have a dog that is in attack mode on your wife he should be put down. In the mid-70s when we had a big Yankee exodus down here they brought their dogs who commenced to roam + kill chickens _+ goats. I shot one + they took me to court for shooting their dog on my property after he killed my chickens. I LOVED the judges fining. He said "You people come down here + bring your ways with you. Down here I don't consider it a man's right to kill a dog that is killing his stock; I consider it his obligation. Case closed."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things and times have changed.

If you can stop the problem without killing the dog it will save a lot of trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. I love my blue heeler but she doesn't roam, just on the property, that's her job. I would never kill a dog for fun although I did have to kill one of my own years ago that killed some neighbors chickens + a lamb. + that was no fun at all. I remember several years ago when a neighbor shot a dog that was killing his chickens + when the law was called the outraged neighbor said that your chickens come into my yard all the time so why do you mind that my dog goes into yours? Dee just said, "If my chickens attack your dog kill them."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If the dog is so obnoxious, the neighbor is not doing anything about it, you might wish to do a permanent solution!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Having an issue right now with a rogue chicken killing dog.
Get animal control involved asap and file a report
Keep notes and take pics
After threats of misdemeanors and fines, you won’t see that dog much.
The dog needs to be adopted by a responsible owner.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, it's too late for the dog. Once they take to killing stock they need to be put down. Giving him to someone else is just passing it on but not fixing the solution. If someone in town adopted him where there were no animals around, maybe, but even then I wouldn't ever trust him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now a bit on the humorous side. Not needing pepper spray. A few years ago when I was still in the HVAC industry, I was on a service call to charge a system. I was in the back yard ready to attach my hoses + this bi dog comes barell assing around the corner looking for trouble. I had the freon jug in my hands so I just turned it upside down + hit him in the face with liquid freon. He flipped over backwards + still running for all I know. Much better than shooting him, especially a customers dog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

If you can stop the problem without killing the dog it will save a lot of trouble.

Around here, if your dog hassles livestock, he's dead. Legal and accepted by the courts.

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we had an old man out here that had goats + he was up on the law at that time. He claimed that the dog did not even have to be on your property, just approaching was justification to shoot it. Maybe. I do know that he would trade anyone equal weight of goat meat for dog meat. Mr. Fry had a problem with wild dogs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well times change up till 1983 in Wis. a dog that was running loose and did not have a collar on was fair game no questions asked.

If it had a collar it had to be causing a problem.

Most rural counties had no type of pound strays were dealt with by shooting them.

Most calls about strays to the SO were handled like this.

You have 3 options you keep it, you shoot it or if the deputy comes out he will shoot it.

If it had a collar the dog got a 3 day wait if the owner wasn't found the above applied.

Every once in a while a exceptional dog would be found and home might be found for it.

99 percent of strays were shot.

Then in 83 a bunch of do gooders got the law changed.

Now there is a tons of money spent boarding and trying to find these dogs, cats ect homes.

Counties ended up hiring humane officers IE dog catchers. Shelters were built and staffed. Huge amounts of funds spent on vet care.

All for a bunch of animals that we have no shortage of.

To shoot an stray dog now days one better be very sure it is/was a danger to ?.

Or be very good following the SSS.

I have seen people charged with felony animal crudity for killing a stray.

As a deputy that worked a very rural county many years before 83 I handled many dog complaints.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have land behind my house.

It had a fence around it, but no gate.

People come to walk their dogs there all the time, with no problem.

Then an English lady who had two Dobermans started walking them there.

My house is right next door, and we leave our gate open during the day.

Her dogs started coming in my house, and we have lots of animals in their own compounds.

Several types of oryx, cheetahs, ostriches and other gazelles.

Her dogs kept chasing these animals like mad.

We asked her to keep her dogs on a leash, several times.

She refused.

I went and talked to her, explaining that she was on my land, and I have objection to her being there.

But I certainly object to her dogs scaring my animals.

Her answer was “close your gate!”

After this, I said to her “next time your dogs come into my house, I will shoot them!”

Sure enough, a few days later, they ran into my house, and I shot both of them.

She went berserk!

I called the police.

They came over and tried to explain to her that I have not broken any laws.

In fact, SHE was the one who could be charge if I wished to press charges.

End of story.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We asked her to keep her dogs on a leash, several times.She refused

I have ran into a lot of people who will not take sound advice when it is given to them.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Around here, if your dog hassles livestock, he's dead. Legal and accepted by the courts.

Shot several during calving season on the farm. I didn't think twice about it. Got out the tractor with a hoe, dug a hole and rover never came home. SSS.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
When I was about ten, we were at a family friend’s ranch and a couple dogs tore up a few piglets.
They ran away when we ran to the commotion but my uncle calmly went in the house and came out with his 7mm Remington Mag., handed it to my older brother who climbed on top of a pile of hay bales and he sniped the bigger of the dogs on the trot at about 400yds. Small hole on the right, big hole on the left.
He said he held a foot in front of the nose and a foot above the nose.
All I know is that dog was trotting along pretty pleased with himself until that bolt of 7mm lightning flattened him!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And justice was served.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest a 22 auto and pepper the turp a bunch of times...Juice guns tend to just piss some folks off, and bears eat the cans..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote