New
Find
Notify
Tools

A 50 yard self defense zero
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For decades I always like sighing my hand guns I for a half to one inch high at 25 yards.

For many bullets out of many common calibers I found that this sight in allows me to make shots out to 75 yards and be with in a couple of inch's of my point of aim.

With higher velocity calibers like a 125 357 at 1300fps plus a 75 yard zero makes even more sense. Allowing dead on hold out to 100 yards and still be within a few inches of point of aim

As we know that most self defense shooting happen at really close range one isn't hurt my a longer sight in distance being. Ones bullets well strike with in a half of inch at the closer ranges.

But if ever needed one simple has to hold dead on at the longer ranges and know that ones bullet well hit very near ones point of aim.

On the slower velocity calibers with bullets less the 900 fps a 35 or 40 yard zero could make more sense as the bullet drop at these lower velocities is greater.

Opting for the max range were ones bullets strike within strike with in an inch or 2 through out their flight makes a lot sense.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
For a .45ACP sighted in for 6 o'clock hold on a 50 yard pistol target you'll be a couple inches above POA at 25 yards, POA/POI at 75 yards, and if you transition to a Transition 2 target and put the head on the front sight you hit center mass.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know few pistol shots who can hit much at 50 yds. I shoot a bit of bulls eye, and even with a dedicate ball or wad gun that can hold 2-3 inches from the ransom, the 50yd slow fire bull is hard to handle....

A hit on an IDPA/USPSA silhouette is a bit easier, but not necessarily effective.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how one is shooting if your talking off hand one hand bulls eye shooting not many.

But from most positions with a good rest hitting at 50 or even farther isn't that hard.

No says one always has to stand on their two legs with out rest to shoot.

Except is some matches.

When I first brought my single six 22 3lb coffee cans in real danger at 75 yards most 5 out of 6 some times all 6 hitting it,

But that was from a rested position of various types.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know HP, I do not shoot competitively, but I try to shoot once a week or so. I can keep them in the black at 50 yards (offhand, slowfire) with my 22 (S&W 41), 45 (Colt Gold Cup) and 38 spl.( S&W 52). To me that translates to a head shot capability, so, with two hands, I would expect better.
My race guns (38 Super and 9x21) are sighted in at 50 but these are relatively flat shooting guns.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote