New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting coldcocked and beaten - this is scary
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A good friend of mine who works at bass pro in the fishing department and is a part time fishing guide got assaulted.

There was reggae fest in the mall parking lot of the bass pro in Orlando.

My buddy was on a break outside by the fishing boat displays.

A group of people chase a young kid to boat display and cornered him. They then pummeled him.

My buddy saw this and start recording it in this phone to have record for bass pro.

They stop beating the kid and are walking away when a girl in the group sees my friend recording them.

She tells her friend. From the back he comes and coldcocks my buddy. He gets slammed hard but still manages to fight. Then a group of 5-8 guys just beat him and he is still fighting. He gets a few good blows on the guy who coldcocked him.

Then everyone runs out and takes my buddy’s phone.

This whole thing was captured on cctv. No one was arrested as the footage is grainy and no license plates were observed.

My buddy is young but he is thin - like as thin as person can be. He is also diabetic.

He came out okay with no broken bones but terrible bruises.

He showed me the video from the cctv. It is scary how fast this happens. It’s like less than 1 second from guy walking back to punching my buddy in the face.

I asked him if he had any recollections of fighting and the group beating and he said no. It was all unconscious reaction.

What is scary is concealed firearm would do little. It all all happens so fast.

Stuff like this makes me carry more and stay away from crowds.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, as I am sure you are aware, there is a lot more to concealed carry than carrying concealed! Briefly "situational awareness" is key. Back in the day we were taught about condition red, orange and yellow. I think this was due to Jeff Cooper, but I am not sure. The point is, whether carrying or not, one should subconsciously be evaluating one's surroundings in these terms. This was clearly condition orange, but your friend was blithely taking a video.
Alfredo, sory, but you are an ignorant moron. Please go to the PF with your brothers. George Zimmerman was ACQUITED and was tried under Florida law as I recollect. Sorry, but the President has no say in state law. So you can thank Obama, but not for this.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Peter, you are correct about the color coding of mindset by Col. Cooper. My ex-wife used to get so enraged when we would go out that I was always taking stock of my surroundings + exits. That's another reason shes an ex-wife.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Norman. The other aspect of awareness is threat assessment. You may remember the case of a CC holder (in Texas I believe) who attempted to intervene in an armed store robbery attempt, only to be shot in the back and killed by the perpetrator's accomplice (yes, there were two of 'em), a woman! So, bad guys don't always come alone, and, are not always guys!
If I sound like an expert, I am NOT. I just try to educate myself just in case I am in a situation where I feel I have to intervene. Which, the experts tell us, is NOT always the case. Sometimes, the response is to do nothing! Interesting.
BTW, I was in a restaurant once and I saw a shooting friend of mine at another table. I walked over and stood by him waiting for him to acknowledge my presence. Much to his chagrin, it took him several seconds to notice my presence, and he was aware of the Cooper conditions and said he used them!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me post an apology for my insult to Alfredo. My response to his post was not the way to respond to a relatively new member of AR.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I want to apologize to you for going off topic with my political rant! I deleted my messages and I PM'ed Peter as well.

Scary times we live in. I hope that you friend is OK and I'm glad that he wasn't seriously injured.

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on that Peter. Threat assessment is very important but it all starts with awareness. Thus the color code system. And you're right not just about the "obvious" threat but the unperceived as well. A good case in point is not getting between a man + woman in a domestic dispute. She might be highly pissed with him but you are not the one to rescue her. I found that one out the hard way in the early 70's outside an Austin dance hall.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m all or guns for protection. That said, many of the guys who I see who are CCW gurus would get more use out of a little cardio and some boxing/karate/Krav Maga training. I have a CCW and love my guns, but I boxed a lot as a 12-22 year old. That taught me the self confidence to run away if I could and the skills to protect myself if I couldn’t. Some of these guys I see have 12 guns hidden on their body and couldn’t do 10 push ups. Seems like they want to push the easy button on their Rambo fantasy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
I’m all or guns for protection. That said, many of the guys who I see who are CCW gurus would get more use out of a little cardio and some boxing/karate/Krav Maga training. I have a CCW and love my guns, but I boxed a lot as a 12-22 year old. That taught me the self confidence to run away if I could and the skills to protect myself if I couldn’t. Some of these guys I see have 12 guns hidden on their body and couldn’t do 10 push ups. Seems like they want to push the easy button on their Rambo fantasy.

Until you have walked in another's shoes it is easy to condemn.

I used to be able to run 10k in under 40min bicycle long distances. I was a ardent practitioner of the martial arts.

Then all of a sudden some heart problems then the last 4 months a injury has left me with a lot less choices as far as defenses go.

It far to easy to condemn some one when one does not know the whole story.

Been there done that now as I have gotten older I am a lot more reasonable.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. Along the same lines, when I was younger + would see some old fart in a convertible I had the assumption that he was just trying to recover his youth but as I have aged my thoughts are more generous now to thinking that maybe it took him this long to afford the car. Just perspective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
True. Along the same lines, when I was younger + would see some old fart in a convertible I had the assumption that he was just trying to recover his youth but as I have aged my thoughts are more generous now to thinking that maybe it took him this long to afford the car. Just perspective.

Funny story, my accountant has a very expensive convertible and is about 60. I was giving him a hard time about a midlife crisis. He pointed out that it wasn’t because he wanted cars like that at 20, he just happened to be 50 before he could afford them.
That same with his 25 year old GF but that’s another story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A high school class mate who became a very successful plastic surgeon.

Showed up at a 60th class "birthday Party" we all turned 60 that year.

With his 27yoa trophy wife and 5 month old baby (she was a very good looker) younger then his other children.

He is short over weight but he can afford that now.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a situation like that Id act like I was scared shitless, and hope they turned on someone else, then I would shoot the sob in the back or by surprise, and not stop shooting until everything was copasetic! Keeping in mind that there is no second place in a gun fight.. tu2 rotflmo
and best to be judged by 12 than than the evening news. If you fear for your life then react accordingly.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got that right Ray, there is no 2nd place winner. And like Paul Newman said in "The life + times of Judge Roy Bean" after he shot the guy in the back, "If he was looking for fairness, he came to the wrong place."

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
You got that right Ray, there is no 2nd place winner. And like Paul Newman said in "The life + times of Judge Roy Bean" after he shot the guy in the back, "If he was looking for fairness, he came to the wrong place."

That's right...only first loser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't get involved unless you can protect yourself. If you're outnumbered, you're pretty well already screwed.

Moral to the story - Pick your fights wisely.

Sun Tzu still matters.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he does. It should be required reading.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Mike. It is a bad part of town.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've got 'situational awarness' programmed into my brain from a 43-year LEO career. In retirement I AVOID such situations, but will always opt for trial by 12 rather than carried out by 6. I'll call it in and let the young dudes handle it.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have always had a rifle in my pickup rack, for what ever came my way, animal or human. Having made that statement, I have had a canceled carry permit from sixty days before it was legal to carry in my state. and it has never missed re-upping since.
I carry on a daily basis canceled even though I'm legal to openly carry but I choose not to, because that would give a thug an advantage for a unseen attack.
I have never fired on anyone but have stopped at least two things because of the simple act of showing the fact that I was armed, and made it uncomfortable for a thug who suddenly changed his mind about getting a little nasty while I was there.

.......................Sometimes bullies are a little reluctant take a chance in my presents, once they know it would not be a good idea. I'm 84 years old, and am too old to fist fight, like I would have in my younger day, but will not be bullied by a young punk.

If anyone here that has not read the bill, below, that Biden just posted, let me say we all may be at the mercy any thug who comes along soon.
.............................................. oldMD37
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/hr127/text

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, I posted it on the misc. forum as well. It is so much tripe, to say it politely. How about the part that a psychologist gets to determine if you can own a gun. I'm sure the libs love that one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been in such situations in my years of being a drug agent both federal and state..The problem is you sometimes, in fact most times don't have time to be assessing the situation, it requires an instant reaction or he beat you to it...only one thing counts and thats your life, you can sort out the whys and wherefores later, and they hire idiots to do that for you..I would not even consider being a policeman today...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can be outnumbered and probably come out ok if you have a browning and a 14 round clip and the will or fear to use it...Winning in these situations is perhap 95% or more mental..on either side..Its a mind set you must have or must develope..or go get a real job..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120