Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa goes permit less carry
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Signed into law yesterday.

Tennessee is next bill is on the governors desk.

Texas and a couple of other in play.

Around 49 percent of the US land mass is now permit less carry

https://www.desmoinesregister....tutional/6965689002/

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I find that a good thing. I received my permit when they first went out to issue, I forget how many years ago, but I'm behind this move.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I find that a good thing. I received my permit when they first went out to issue, I forget how many years ago, but I'm behind this move.

Like you, I finished my class, and got my first permit in the mail to carry in Texas, two months before it was legal to actually begin to carry. I have had a permit ever since, and now it is also legal to carry openly as well. though I never felt a need to openly carry as that seems to me to be a disadvantage that may make me a target before I know there is a danger of being shot from behind making me an easy target.

....................................... faint old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only bad thing is states that still require a permit no longer have a reciprocal agreement. For example, Texas included that members of the military could get a permit at age 18. Minnesota has no such for anyone under 21 thus Texas permit no longer good in Minnesota.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Only bad thing is states that still require a permit no longer have a reciprocal agreement. For example, Texas included that members of the military could get a permit at age 18. Minnesota has no such for anyone under 21 thus Texas permit no longer good in Minnesota.

Mn is a special case when the AG ran with sight wording change that was suppose to loosen up reciprocity.

Instead he said it was just the opposite and did away with any reciprocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's absurd that you can start carrying a handgun with zero training.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 14932 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
It's absurd that you can start carrying a handgun with zero training.

Just as it is absurd that you have free speech with out training or a permit

Or absurd that one can vote without training and a picture ID.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received the notice from NRA-ILA that it has passed the House in Texas.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW p dog; I liked your reply to mike.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I just received the notice from NRA-ILA that it has passed the House in Texas.

The house in Texas is not the problem.

A couple of key senators have sold their soul to the democrats to stay in power.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Packing a gun in plain sight is a good way to be the first one shot.. Id suggest carrying concealed, be mild and meek and do what the bad guy sez, when he turns and gives orders to someone else, shoot him in the back a couple of times...survival is more than being a good shot..When they come at you, its handy to know whos armed and who is the present threat..

I think permit less carry is going to open a can of worms?? You have just armed all the criminals in the USA. and every illegal coming across the border in masses as we speak will be armed and many will be cartel, as we are the best market for drugs in the world..Just my 2 bits...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think permit less carry is going to open a can of worms?? You have just armed all the criminals in the USA. and every illegal coming across the border in masses as we speak will be armed and many will be cartel, as we are the best market for drugs in the world..Just my 2 bits...

Please Ray don tell us where all this bad has happen.

Not where you live for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but its where I made my bones, that was in Mexico and on the Texas border, thats why I chose Idaho as where to live after I retired..We have little crime and good honest people..and lots of retired cops from all over..at least for now.

Dont get me wrong, I pay attention to your posts, and were not that far apart, just have a different approach..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Mistake in my book,You have to have control over who is carrying and you need mandatory training to insure when to use and ability to hit what your aiming at. Allot of innocent people will be killed by some self appointed sheriff who spray and pray attitude and whether it is a good shot or not you are facing a long time of litigation since you deprived the crook of his ability to earn a living. We don't need no stinkin badge we got my buddy with 16 of his lil friends

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't have control over who is carrying now.

Criminals carry without a permit all the time

21 states now allow permit-less carry can you show where there is a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I trained 180 field agents and maybe 10 t0 15 were excellent shots another 25 to 35 where average making the 80% easily another 20 to 30 where marginal and the remainder needed a couple of sessions to make the minimum and probably should not be carrying, and these are people who went through 5 weeks on intensive firearm training. When I took over the training I started a stress course, loaded gun was placed on a table they had to run 50 yards as fast as they could to get the heart rate up and then shoot at 3 targets 5 yds, 10 yards and 25 yards, many of the 25 yd targets did not show a hit and quite a few of the 10 yd target where reused. An eye opener for people who thought they were experts. Not how does a civilian who doesn't practice or can afford the $20/box for ammo. Criminals don't care don't practice and spray and don't pray watch the evening news in Chicago one person shot but the street has 20 casings on the ground. If I had to shoot a bad guy which I have not I could easily live with that but hit a kid or another innocent party I would have ended my career .

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Criminals don't care don't practice and spray and don't pray watch the evening news in Chicago one person shot but the street has 20 casings on the ground

Since Chicago and IL. Has some of the toughest gun laws in country. They do not seem to working very well.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...ter-century/2719307/

The year of 2021 ended as one of the most violent on record in Chicago, as a rise in the number of shootings left more people dead than in any single year in a quarter century, according to statistics released by the police department on Saturday.

According to the department, 2021 ended with 797 homicides. That is 25 more than were recorded 2020, 299 more than in 2019 and the most since 1996. And there were 3,561 shooting incidents in 2021, which is just over 300 more than were recorded in 2020 and a staggering 1,415 more shooting incidents than were recorded in the city in 2019.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I trained 180 field agents and maybe 10 t0 15 were excellent shots another 25 to 35 where average making the 80% easily another 20 to 30 where marginal and the remainder needed a couple of sessions to make the minimum and probably should not be carrying, and these are people who went through 5 weeks on intensive firearm training. When I took over the training I started a stress course, loaded gun was placed on a table they had to run 50 yards as fast as they could to get the heart rate up and then shoot at 3 targets 5 yds, 10 yards and 25 yards, many of the 25 yd targets did not show a hit and quite a few of the 10 yd target where reused. An eye opener for people who thought they were experts. Not how does a civilian who doesn't practice or can afford the $20/box for ammo

We could get into a pissing match on who has trained the most LEO's. But we both most likely are highly skilled trainers.

As I have said before it is a 90%-7%-3% equation.

It doesn't matter if they are military, local, state, federal agents or civilians.

I have trained each type many times over.

90% don't really care. But they have a firearm for many reasons. They do not practice, they do not spent time learning.

They own a firearm and that is enough for them.

7% care practice and spend time and money improving their skill level a bit more.

3% are the gun guys and the elite troops.

They train, spend time, money any shoot more the 97% think is any way reasonable.

There can be over lapping depending on the person and the time in their lives.

But to denied a persons ability to defend one self to a standard set by a bureaucrat has proven to be unreasonable.

Many thousands of people lawfully defend themselves very year.

Without the carnage you mention.

The firing of dozens of rounds that you mention is almost always a result of illegal activity.

That the current law isn't preventing.

There are 21 states more around 56 percent of the USA land mass that one can carry without a permit.

Yet it appears that the most. Violent activities are in those places that have the strictest firearm laws.

Chicago is a very poor example to be using as the effectiveness of requiring a permit to carry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chicago has some major problems, It is a democratic controlled state, county and city. They have a Governor who will not help the county nor the mayor both of which are democrats who need to keep their voter base in tact so they won't do anything to disrupt the status quo. The mayor who is anti law enforcement even refuse the police protection detail and chose private security, it is like the secret service saying, if the protection detail is wearing slip on shoes they like who they are protecting other wise they wear tie shoes. I get asked all the time about concealed carry...I can not and will not tell them no unless I can evaluate their skills, even then once they know the the scope of responsibility they make the final choice but I will say there is a tremendous amount of CC permits issued in this city and rarely do you hear where they intervene, why I can't answer that but they either are smart enough to get or stay out of dodge. If you watched the national news they are covering a Pastor Corey Brooks who operates his mission (operation Hood) on the South side of Chicago, he is dedicated and devoted to his area which is in one of two war zones in Chicago, you will notice that The Mayor, Governor Police chief Jesse Jackson and Cook county States attorney are never present, seems they won't help or assist this pastor for fear of disrupting their base..The city will never change unless the get the support of the powers to be

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Wis getting CCW permit nis very easy.

Many types of training is recognized the easiest and cheapest is getting one Hunter's ed card.

I do not give CCW classes any more not enough money it for me.

I just tell them go on line get your hunters ed card them come back and I'll teach you how to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes the bad guys already have permit less carry; And Chicago is the perfect example. They do not put them in jail either; that is racist.
Iowa has had zero problems since the law was passed.
Only with the guys downtown who shoot each other, like Chicago. They like to steal cars too; 500 last year. In one little city.
Also: I guarantee you that I trained more to shoot pistols than all of you guys put together!
All 1911s. At least 1200 of them. I commanded an Armor Training Company for 1.5 years. (I did have a bunch of Sergeants to help) Ok, they did the actual training.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vermont has always had permit less carry in it's state constitution. One of the lowest gun violence states you can find. Not many people either!
State law says, concealed carry unless in the commission of a crime is legal. Of course, the first thing dropped is the fact a criminal had a concealed gun when they committed a crime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I trained 180 field agents and maybe 10 t0 15 were excellent shots another 25 to 35 where average making the 80% easily another 20 to 30 where marginal and the remainder needed a couple of sessions to make the minimum and probably should not be carrying, and these are people who went through 5 weeks on intensive firearm training. When I took over the training I started a stress course, loaded gun was placed on a table they had to run 50 yards as fast as they could to get the heart rate up and then shoot at 3 targets 5 yds, 10 yards and 25 yards, many of the 25 yd targets did not show a hit and quite a few of the 10 yd target where reused. An eye opener for people who thought they were experts. Not how does a civilian who doesn't practice or can afford the $20/box for ammo. Criminals don't care don't practice and spray and don't pray watch the evening news in Chicago one person shot but the street has 20 casings on the ground. If I had to shoot a bad guy which I have not I could easily live with that but hit a kid or another innocent party I would have ended my career .

Really! Sounds like "we the people" really need to be able to protect ourselves if your highly trained "field agents" were this innefective

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I trained 180 field agents and maybe 10 t0 15 were excellent shots another 25 to 35 where average making the 80% easily another 20 to 30 where marginal and the remainder needed a couple of sessions to make the minimum and probably should not be carrying, and these are people who went through 5 weeks on intensive firearm training. When I took over the training I started a stress course, loaded gun was placed on a table they had to run 50 yards as fast as they could to get the heart rate up and then shoot at 3 targets 5 yds, 10 yards and 25 yards, many of the 25 yd targets did not show a hit and quite a few of the 10 yd target where reused. An eye opener for people who thought they were experts. Not how does a civilian who doesn't practice or can afford the $20/box for ammo

We could get into a pissing match on who has trained the most LEO's. But we both most likely are highly skilled trainers.

As I have said before it is a 90%-7%-3% equation.

It doesn't matter if they are military, local, state, federal agents or civilians.

I have trained each type many times over.

90% don't really care. But they have a firearm for many reasons. They do not practice, they do not spent time learning.

They own a firearm and that is enough for them.

7% care practice and spend time and money improving their skill level a bit more.

3% are the gun guys and the elite troops.

They train, spend time, money any shoot more the 97% think is any way reasonable.

There can be over lapping depending on the person and the time in their lives.

But to denied a persons ability to defend one self to a standard set by a bureaucrat has proven to be unreasonable.

Many thousands of people lawfully defend themselves very year.

Without the carnage you mention.

The firing of dozens of rounds that you mention is almost always a result of illegal activity.

That the current law isn't preventing.

There are 21 states more around 56 percent of the USA land mass that one can carry without a permit.

Yet it appears that the most. Violent activities are in those places that have the strictest firearm laws.

Chicago is a very poor example to be using as the effectiveness of requiring a permit to carry.

Outstanding post!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote