New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blurred front sight, eyes going
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All right this age crap sucks. At the range with my glasses (only used for reading) the front sight looks like a tree trunk. I can still shoot as good as ever, but on the street I would have a lot of trouble seeing the front sight.

What do you do? I have searched but the advice is mostly for the range. I like a PPK in an old horseshoe leather belly band. Do you use glasses with no correction in the off eye? Or what? Advise requested!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arnuet, as i have posted before, when I last had my eyes tested and new glasses, I told the optician that I wanted to be able to focus on the front sight of a handgun, held out my hand, added a few inches, and he prescribed the appropriate lenses.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, there is a big difference between playing a game like IPSC and "on the street". In the "game" you have time to slow down if you need to and get a better sight picture and acquire the front sight and adjust. After working with several departments and talking to several LEOs and people who had to defend themselves, the almost universal answer was "what front sight". We had people badly hurt trying to do what they practiced, which was trying to extend their arms out all the way before they would even think about the trigger.

If someone is coming at you on the street it is shoot or die, or you better not be shooting at all. Practice with the target where it will be on the street, within 10 feet. Probably within 5. Now see how much the front sight matters.

Yes, I understand the difference. I have shot at USPSA nationals before. It was there where a Grand Master shooter talked to me and took the sights totally off my Glock. His comment was that if I could not tell with my peripheral vision that the slide was straight and level, then there were bigger issues. My times went way down and my scores got better as well. Unless you are doing some of the "game" things like shooting for score at 20 yards, they are not critical.

Bottom line for me is, know your gun. Practice with it enough that it is an extension of your hand, because you may not get a chance to extend your arms at all in a real fight, let alone look at the sights. Look at the TARGET and adjust your shooting until it is natural for you.

I know I will be "taken to the woodshed" for such blasphemy, but such is life.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
larrys, I may have misunderstood the question. I shoot Bullseye pistol. I have no experience with street combat, but when I shoot IPSC eg. the El Presidente drill I always acquire the front sight. Ditto with shooting plates. I would agree that when shooting against anything other than a white background, all bets are off with the front sight!
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't decide to look over, thru with my bi- focal's

Your right in is PITA

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter, I was not intending anything I said to be intended for you. Sorry if I offended. It was just comments. I don't acquire the sight for El Presidente or plates, but I do for longer stations and if the plates are farther away. Basically, if I get the front of the pistol to be in the middle of the plate or upper torso of the target, it SHOULD hit in the middle of that. But sometimes, like all shooters, my gun just doesn't cooperate. Smiler

I do have the same issue p dog has as well.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not offended!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I am worrying about the 7 to 10 yard shot. I understand it is unlikely, but it is now a hole that I cannot fill.

Danged getting old, I can count your freckles across the room with no glasses. However, reading is a chore without them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Um, those who ask 'what front sight?' after a gunfight usually ask 'how did I miss at that distance?' as their second question.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when i had the problem it was mostly solved by putting a piece of fiber optic in the sight even better by putting another piece in the bottom of the rear. then you just put one dot on top of the other. one of the few good parts about getting older is that when you get to cataract surgery the problem goes away

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A good reason to use XS Big Sot front sights.

Same big white dot that I used to hunt elephants.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Arnuet, as i have posted before, when I last had my eyes tested and new glasses, I told the optician that I wanted to be able to focus on the front sight of a handgun, held out my hand, added a few inches, and he prescribed the appropriate lenses.
Peter.

Same here, I use my "shooting glasses" for steel challenge shoots at my club.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the XS big dot 24/7 sight

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the green fiber optic front sight like Wilson Combat uses on their 1911's to be easy to use.

It is easy to pick up very fast, yet is very accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i also like the XS sight. Paste that big dot center mass and let her rip.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote