New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun for RV
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife and I are planning to purchase a small Class B camper van sometime next year. We plan to tour the lower 48. I have multiple state pistol permits and can legally carry in 35 states. Space is limited. What gun would you consider bringing for personal protection? Pistol, revolver, small rifle, shotgun? Would probably carry where legal, while hiking.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I can make you a great deal on a 25 foot class C.

From June of 2018 to June of 2019 my wife and I did just what you have planned. We toured 39 states and concentrated on the areas of the country we had not previously visited. Between us our concealed carry permits covered most of the states

I took 5 guns. A Glock 17L with light attached as the motorhome pistol, a Kahr CM-9 that I carried everyday, a takedown Ruger 10-22, a Mossberg 12 gauge riot shotgun and a folding stock AK-47. I used the .22, shotgun and AK for some limited hunting. I stored the long guns behind the couch, carried the Kahr on my person and had the Glock mounted under the dining table or next to the bed.

If I was taking only one gun for a road trip it would be the handgun I was most competent with.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, if you want an RV gun, and its for the RV (not carry) if you are planning on being in anything remotely wild, the best choice would be a 12 Ga pump shotgun with a light. It will defend you against 2 legged vermin as well as anything else, and more to the point, with appropriate ammo it will work against anything 4 legged you would encounter camping, as well as vermin.

If its a camping trip (not hunting) you won't need range. Besides, for spur of the moment hunting, a shotgun is easier to find things to hunt (small game, birds, and if you want, deer.)

As a additional perk, shotguns tend to be thought of as "less threatening" to various officialdom, so less likely to get hassled, which is a benefit when all you want to do is get on your way... but racking the slide lets everyone in earshot know you are ready for business and the vermin also tend to find other pickings.

They also break down easily enough if you are traveling through some place that is less gun friendly.

Better to never fire a shot if you don't have to.

Besides, a shotgun is easier for those who are less familiar with guns to use competently in an emergency (your wife).

If its only one, that would be my choice.

Posts: 10462 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great plan.
Just remember not to waste time or money in any stat that does not honor your permits or your RIGHT to have a firearm with you.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good plan! I personally boycott any company that has an anti-gun agenda. We don't finance the enemy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A mid frame 357mag and a long gun.

I have carried my 870, 06 scout, marlin 94 357 carbine.

The 357 combo makes lots of sense.

Posts: 19296 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
A mid frame 357mag and a long gun.

I have carried my 870, 06 scout, marlin 94 357 carbine.

The 357 combo makes lots of sense.

I was thinking along the same lines. I have a Ruger American compact in 300 Blackout. And would take a revolver in 45ACP or maybe 357 Mag. to keep in the RV.

Maybe even my 3" Springfield EMP in 40S&W for carry.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider the Taurus Judge or the S & W Governor. .410, 45 LC

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1093 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thought, when I read the OP's headline, was "if it takes a 9mm or 45 for a human, how big would the gun need to be for a damned RV?"

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
The movie "The Leisure Seeker" features a little side-by-side shotgun...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14323 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my old 4" combat Magnum mod. 19..for the the glove compartment of my pickup, and a any good scope sighted deer rifle and a shotgun..Never know when you might get an invitation to go deer or quail hunting..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote