New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas church shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One can see why practice and mental mine set could save ones life.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....down-hooded-shooter/

The West Freeway Church of Christ videos and streams its services. The camera caught the moment when a hooded man stood up, pulled a shotgun and opened fire this morning. Watch the man in black stand up at the top of the frame. CAUTION: Some might find this video disturbing: Don’t look now, but this

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thank you Col. Cooper.for the training + mindset. As to this shooting, my friend + minister (Methodist)was there at the scene 45 minutes after the shooting giving whatever help he could offer. 45 minutes the baptist ministers showed up to give solace or whatever but the point was they were not there right after the fact because they found it more prudent to stop for lunch 1st. That was a true case in point

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any response after Law enforcement showed and secured the area.

The time doesn't matter because you will be very limited in what you can do.

As you can not just wander around the scene talking with people.

You would most likely be more effective showing a bit later when you could actual talk with people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the video carefully. Guy seated has 3 sec. or so to get his gun out but is fumbling around and gets shot. At the end it looked like there were at least 6 armed people standing around with guns drawn. If you are going to carry you should practice dressed they way you will carry. When bad things happen they can happen very quickly.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I kid you not... Here in Cali, you are told to throw cans of food at a would be shooter. My wife is a teacher so she has to practice drills with Kindergarteners about what to do. I guess they think it is better to scare kids than let adults be armed to take care of the problems.

https://www.nydailynews.com/ne...rs-article-1.2075972

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Any response after Law enforcement showed and secured the area.

The time doesn't matter because you will be very limited in what you can do.

As you can not just wander around the scene talking with people.

You would most likely be more effective showing a bit later when you could actual talk with people.

Exactly, the local newsman said it’s a tragedy that scarred all involved and likely to never be forgotten, obviously.

It’s often after a death in the family when everyone rushes to assist immediately after, it it’s down the road while lonely and sad when that assistance is needed.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot to learn from this video IMHO.
1. Don't reach for a concealed weapon when the perp. is facing you with a drawn gun. You cannot win!
2. Notice the several members of the congregation who stand up and start wandering around after the first shots are fired! The fight may not be over, and has now just got a lot more complicated, especially for the other guys who are armed and looking to help. You can't control what other people do but perhaps someone could have taken charge and shouted "stay seated" or something to that effect.
3. You cannot assume that there is a single perp. You must look around for another possible assailant.
Not an expert, just learning!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't reach for a concealed weapon when the perp. is facing you with a drawn gun. You cannot win!

That is not always a true statement.

In this case.

The defender had 3.1 seconds from the time he started to draw to the time he was shot.

A well trained and practice person can draw and fire and hit their target in around 1.5 seconds on the average.

Some can do it in less.

If you can not do that you need more practice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all of us can get up to Bill Jordan's standards but with training + practice one can come close.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A well trained and practice person can draw and fire and hit their target in around 1.5 seconds on the average.

Some can do it in less.

And how many rounds will the bad guy pump into you in that 1.5 seconds??!!

We are talking about concealed carry here. My first round time in an El Presidente is just under 1 second, but that is from an exposed holster with just the basic retention. I STILL would not draw on someone with a drawn gun at fairly close range.

Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the bad guy is shooting people or about to shoot you draw! If you’re about to be shot go down fighting! At least you can buy some time for the rest.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of it is reaction times as well.

If someone does something very unexpected, folks often need some time to process it. If the perpetrator expects that having a gun makes him some kind of god, just the fact that you are drawing a gun may put him in that category.

If you have a sub 1 second el prez draw, you are better than most (hands raised back to threat, on sound turn and draw) and likely you would shoot before the guy realized what was happening as reaction times are on average over a second, even when you expect something to happen. That was what Bill Jordan was really proving- most folks don’t start to react until 1 second downstream.

If you don’t think the guy will shoot (or will look elsewhere before shooting) or think that some sort of deescalation will have a better chance, yes not drawing while under direct observation makes sense. If the guy is a nut or determined, you might as well try and fight, what do you have to lose?

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

If the guy is a nut or determined, you might as well try and fight, what do you have to lose?

How much does the scattergun play into it?

You already know he’s a but for trying to shoot up a church, but would you draw while dropping to a knee? Mr. Wilson obviously did the right thing and no two situations are the same.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And how many rounds will the bad guy pump into you in that 1.5 seconds??!!

In this case none as it took the bad guy 3.1 seconds to fire.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Look at the video carefully. Guy seated has 3 sec. or so to get his gun out but is fumbling around and gets shot.
C.G.B.

3 seconds is a literal eternity in the art of gunfighting. Tactically he would have been better off getting his gun out while still seated in the pew, acquiring a good firing grip, press out while standing up, sight picture which at that close range can be point shot and BANG, he goes home and the homelsss guy takes the room temperature challenge. To stand and press off a shot at that range should take not more than .5 of a second.

There are many lessons to be learned from this incident and this will be a teaching point at training classes to come in 2020.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This incident also shows how devastating Buckshot at close range really is.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

If someone does something very unexpected, folks often need some time to process it. If the perpetrator expects that having a gun makes him some kind of god, just the fact that you are drawing a gun may put him in that category.

If you have a sub 1 second el prez draw, you are better than most (hands raised back to threat, on sound turn and draw) and likely you would shoot before the guy realized what was happening as reaction times are on average over a second, even when you expect something to happen. That was what Bill Jordan was really proving- most folks don’t start to react until 1 second downstream.

If you don’t think the guy will shoot (or will look elsewhere before shooting) or think that some sort of deescalation will have a better chance, yes not drawing while under direct observation makes sense. If the guy is a nut or determined, you might as well try and fight, what do you have to lose?

Moving aggressivly laterally, while standing up and pressing out would also have given the security guy another .25 of a second for the active shooter to orient to his new location. There was no movement at all.

Carrying small of the back while doing Armed Security work, while NOT wearing Body Armor are also significant issues. If both security guys were wearing armor, likley they would be at home with broken ribs right now. They may have even been able to stay in the fight, even after taking a load of 00 to the vest.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
This incident also shows how devastating Buckshot at close range really is.

I do not think we know what the bad guys shotgun was loaded with

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched numerous Jack Wilson interviews with various media outlets. I beleive he did mention it, or it may have been some other source. When time passes I am confident Buckshot was what he used.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Don't reach for a concealed weapon when the perp. is facing you with a drawn gun. You cannot win!

In this case.

The defender had 3.1 seconds from the time he started to draw to the time he was shot.

Some can do it in less.

Agree completely with PDS. If you want to work security and can't draw and make a hit in less than 3 seconds from a rig that is not even a duty rig, you have no business being in the Armed Security industry. 3 seconds is an eternity, even from a Level 3 retention duty rig.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In this case.

Some can do it in less.

Agree completely with PDS. If you want to work security and can't draw and make a hit in less than 3 seconds from a rig that is not even a duty rig, you have no business being in the Armed Security industry. 3 seconds is an eternity, even from a Level 3 retention duty rig.

Over the decades I did a lot of draw timing the best I ever could on a regular basics was .7 seconds to the shot and hitting the target. That was using a thumb break.

As I went to more secure holsters the slower it became.

But I found the extra security worth it. Over the decades I know of more then one handgun hitting the ground during physical activity.

My last Level 3 holster I carried at work I could get consistent draws in the 1.7 to 2 seconds.

Before we issued level 3 holsters the standard one had to meet was 1.5 every one could meet that and most of the time less.

The least practice ones might need a couple of tries. But most every one did it the first time.

I timed a lot of qualifications where that standard was meet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what'd the good guy use to put the POS down with? they not saying?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Several sources said he used a Sig pistol in .357 Sig

Posts: 4 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 16 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
POS took one Grape shot from:

Sig P229-.357 Sig

Speed is fine, accuracy is Final.
Only hits count.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While there is a lot to learn from this event and some mistakes were made. Let's not overlook the two security officers who were killed. The distraction they caused, took the focus of the active shooter off the Congregation saving numerous lives and also allowed Jack Wilson to perform without taking incoming rounds.

These men should be commended and never forgotten for their selfless actions.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot or not;even #8 shot is devistating from that range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the video several times. I think the response was remarkable. I deal with truck wreck cases all the time and the experts say reaction time is at least 1.5 seconds, when you are driving. And that's something you are expecting to see, not someone pulling a shotgun in a church.

That's the time before you can even start to respond. And until the first shot was fired, who would have properly interpreted an unimaginable situation. I've heard he was shot in six seconds, which is really fast. But if you believe that from the time he pulled his shotgun until he fired the first shot was 3.1 seconds, and you factor in reaction time, the shooter was dead within 1.4 seconds after it would have been humanly possible, not counting the muzzle velocity and distance.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree a trained person, thru quality repitition and practice is able to draw from a Level 2 or 3 Duty grade (Read Safariland) retention holster in 1.5-2.0 seconds and get a hit on target, if that can't be done, then more time on range is needed.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practice + mindset is the key.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pastor here at the Williamson County Cowboy Church has no problem with armed parishioners.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In this case.

Some can do it in less.

Texas requires specialized training for church security personnel, which Jack Wilson as a state certified trainer was providing to the church security personnel.

However, training scenarios vs actually facing an armed confrontation scenario will typically result in different “first timer” reactions. Proper reaction in training scenarios may easily result fumbled reaction when, as they say, the proverbial “shit hits the fan” as happened with the first security member shot.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not always first timer reactions, it cqn happen
any time reaction, every event is a different scenario...I know cases wherein the meek turned into heros, and the toughest of men fell apart..When it comes to dieing ones reaction can just be a roll of the dice..Im not being philisophical its based on 43 years of LE on the Texas border and Mexico..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago at the Austin Gun Show, there was an A.D. I just hit the deck without thinking + thought about ricochets, etc. at the same time but not really. When it happens you react, after the fact, you start to put together thoughts.