New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm Self Defense Pistol for Wife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about a new pistol in 9mm for the wife to use at home for self-defense.

We currently have a Sig Sauer .40 S&W. She handles it okay, but it's grip is a little large for her hands (she's very petite).

Any suggestions?

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:
I am thinking about a new pistol in 9mm for the wife to use at home for self-defense.

We currently have a Sig Sauer .40 S&W. She handles it okay, but it's grip is a little large for her hands (she's very petite).

Any suggestions?

BH63

Sig 365 xl or sig 365 regular.

They are awesome guns and I don’t know why I don’t own one yet.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how willing she is to work with it, a sig 938 is a small single action 9mm.

It’s a little too small for my hands, but with pretty mild recoil and as a single action gun, the trigger is easy to work.

I ended up with the 365 though for carry. The grip is a bit larger, so it’s easier for me to hold than the 938. I tried both sig models, the little glocks(both single and double stack styles), Kahr, SW shield, XD compact, etc. the 365 actually shoots like a bigger gun than it is. With the new 15 round model, it’s less concealable, but probably would be a good house gun for small handed folks.

The 938 is essentially a small 1911 type gun, so if she wants something to throw in her purse and not spend any time learning it, and keeping skills up, it might not be the best choice for her then.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Sig fan and agree the P365 is an excellent choice but you should also check out the S&W Shield. I have a first generation 9mm but the new 2.0 model has an improved trigger. Lot's of options too. A very good option.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

I have a M&P Shield in 380 and it is a pleasure to carry, but the trigger pull is so long it is ridiculous.

I will look into the Sigs.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Glock 43X. It holds 10 rounds of 9MM with a very slender grip.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
I will certainly give them a look.

Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We currently have a Sig Sauer .40 S&W. She handles it okay, but it's grip is a little large for her hands (she's very petite).Any suggestions?

Put her to work digging fence posts and chopping down trees and digging ditches, her hands should bulk up some.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
quote:
We currently have a Sig Sauer .40 S&W. She handles it okay, but it's grip is a little large for her hands (she's very petite).Any suggestions?

Put her to work digging fence posts and chopping down trees and digging ditches, her hands should bulk up some.

I take it you’ve never been maarried?

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have her try a Glock 48. Should fit and it is more comfortable to shoot compared to a 43.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a 9mm but a Browning 1911-380 is a small frame gun and may fit her well. Mine is very reliable.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Set your eyes on a Walther PPS M2 9mm. I love mine and it is super easy to operate.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
Not a 9mm but a Browning 1911-380 is a small frame gun and may fit her well. Mine is very reliable.

My late uncle had a Colt Mustang that was a sweet little 380, but I want to go with 9mm as a minimum.

Thanks though.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Set your eyes on a Walther PPS M2 9mm. I love mine and it is super easy to operate.

My brother one. I will check it out.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have always been of the old mindset myself that 9mm is a minimum, however, as the 380s used to be quite anemic they have some good loads today, + it's hard to beat a Walther. It's small + light enough that she will carry it in her purse + is easy to control with smaller hands.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
I would have her try a Glock 48. Should fit and it is more comfortable to shoot compared to a 43.

This might be a good plan. I have the 43 and toss it in every now and then and maybe more these crazy days, but it is a compromise for the size. I did add a light/laser to it and that helps.

I hope you live near a range with many rental options for her.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. .40S&W is a stout cartridge. I find it nastier than .45ACP.

Home defense? I am going to go against the grain here and suggest a 1911 chambered in 9x19. Specifically, a GM-sized (5"bbl) all-steel 1911 in 9mm.

1. 9mm out of an all-steel GM size 1911 is a pussycat, recoil-wise.
2. 1911 is flat and thinner than most all other autos and can accommodate very large to very small hands with comfort. You can even get McCormick thin grip panels and a shorter trigger instead of one of those skeletonized deals.
3. And as for trigger...1911s have the best triggers.

I was a revolver and DA auto guy...until I met my wife. Tried everything. Revolvers? Too long & heavy trigger pull. Glocks? Too fat a grip. To THIS and too THAT until the rental gun counter was all tried out except the 1911s.

Rented the 1911 and SWMBO said, "That's the one. I like shooting that one."

So, 3 1911s later, we are a 1911 family. Mine are .45ACP, hers 9mm. She can shoot mine fine, but prefers hers.

But Oh the Noes! The 1911 manual of arms is too much for her pwetty widdle head!

In my wife's case, I simply never told her it was supposed to be an "expert's gun." I showed her how to use it, we practice shooting, and that's that. When she carries, she carried C&L. When it is in the pistol safe, it is C&L.

If your wife wants to tote a 9mm, LtWt Commanders, Officer's ACP, and Defender-sized 1911s are available.

Good luck.

Regards,

roo_ster

"We live in an unreasonable age, ruled by ridiculous people."
----Zman

Posts: 61 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is really petite, 4’11” and 95 lbs. she does not like shooting period. However, there are two hand guns in the house that she knows all she has to do is pick them up and pull the trigger. They’re both Walther 9mm striker fired with night sights on both.

Even though she doesn’t like to shoot, she knows what to do if she has to.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am aware that there are some hot 380 loads around. I shoot them in my M&P shield but recoil is unpleasant.

This gun is for my wife to use at home, not a carry gun.

A full size 1911 in 9mm would be a joy to shoot.

I will probably take her to the gun store and let her hold some of the guns you guys have suggested.

Once she makes her choices I will try and find a range where she can try out a couple.
Thanks for all the advice.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This.

quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 14924 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VZ Grips makes thin scales for the !911 platform and also offer additional thumb cuts as well. Excellent grips and customer service. Lots of choices and options.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buff, if all she needs is a home weapon + not a carry then you can't beat a Rem. 870 pump. The odds that she would ever need to shoot it are remote; the sound of that slide racked is the same in any language.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to handle (not shoot) the P365 and Glock 43x.

Now thinking about an H&K.

Probably wait until after my bear hunt to buy something.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sig P225, single stack and same control layout as other Sigs.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got to handle (not shoot) the P365 and Glock 43x.

Now thinking about an H&K.

Probably wait until after my bear hunt to buy something.

BH63

In my bed stand there is a hkvp9 and hkp30.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^

Which of those HKs do you prefer?

BH63

BTW I have an 870, but a pistol fits under the pillow. A pump shotgun, not so much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
^

Which of those HKs do you prefer?

BH63

BTW I have an 870, but a pistol fits under the pillow. A pump shotgun, not so much.

Both are excellent handguns.

Both have near identical excellent grips.

Both use same magazine.

I think vp9 is a awesome gun and slightly better than p30.

I prefer p30 as a loaded bed stand gun because of safety and decocker.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will take a hard look at the p30, as I am a fan of having a de-cocker.

Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will take a hard look at the p30, as I am a fan of having a de-cocker.

Thanks.

BH63

Mine has both. A safety on the slide and a separate decocker near the hammer.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say again that if an auto is uncomfortable for her a revolver wouldn't be. A Ladysmith in 38 spl. will do as well as 9mm + is really easier to use for anyone not familiar with guns. There is nothing to remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She shoots the Sig P229 40 well enough, but I want to get her a 9mm with a smaller grip.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta,

I have been reading reviews on the HK p30 and many shooters have complained about the trigger having a long pull and reset.

What is your experience?

Thanks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta,

I have been reading reviews on the HK p30 and many shooters have complained about the trigger having a long pull and reset.

What is your experience?

Thanks.

BH63

Vp9 has a better trigger

Hk p30 was designed as a European police gun - the trigger is definitely not a target trigger.

But for home defense a non target trigger might be better to prevent an accidental discharge.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
She shoots the Sig P229 40 well enough, but I want to get her a 9mm with a smaller grip.

BH63

I have a P239 in .40 that is a single stack. They also make it in 9mm. Should you get one, I’ll send you a magazine in 9mm I ordered by mistake for the cost of shipping.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
That is very generous of you.

Thanks.

BH63

one of us
posted Hide Post
DCS has a good suggestion and in addition to the p239, the Sig p225a1 is a single stack da/sa smaller version of the p229. I am a fan of the classic Sig da/sa line of handguns.

Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. We have gone all around the barn trying to help + in good conscience. What we have not discussed is what she wants. That truly is the end of the discussion. True you can guide her to a point but in the end, she is the one that will be carrying her own weapon. All that being said, my best recommendation would be (if no revolver available) a Walther PPK in 380 using Hydra Shocks. Honestly, if you are concerned with her life are you even considering the cost of different weapons? I'm sorry, that was uncalled for but the story is still true.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
She jumps out of bed and sees a perp. A Ruger LCP II is all that is needed. Just keep pulling the trigger. The perp will scoot.

A 9mm, 40, shotgun, submachine gun, ..., no. A 380 is good.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been listening to all the advice and trying out different pistols. To be honest the one I like the best based upon size and trigger is the Berretta PX Storm.

I think for her a SA/DA trigger is the way to go. It is a little larger than many of the compacts/subcompacts but should be very handy as a bedside gun.

I agree I need to let her handle it and shoot it to make sure it works for her.

I am not overly concerned about price, but I still believe a 9mm is a better self defense caliber than a 380.

Putting a hot self defense round in a lightweight 380 pistol is probably not the way to go with my wife.

Also a full-size Berretta like a 92 might work.

I do appreciate all of the advice.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been listening to all the advice and trying out different pistols. To be honest the one I like the best based upon size and trigger is the Berretta PX Storm.

I think for her a SA/DA trigger is the way to go. It is a little larger than many of the compacts/subcompacts but should be very handy as a bedside gun.

I agree I need to let her handle it and shoot it to make sure it works for her.

I am not overly concerned about price, but I still believe a 9mm is a better self defense caliber than a 380.

Putting a hot self defense round in a lightweight 380 pistol is probably not the way to go with my wife.

Also a full-size Berretta like a 92 might work.

I do appreciate all of the advice.

BH63

I personally like a DA/SA for hunting purposes, but for personal protection in my home, I want a striker fired pistol so that my wife doesn’t have to do anything but grab the pistol, aim, and pull the trigger. My wife needs simple.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More