New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms and police interaction at ones dwelling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any advice especially from current or former law enforcement on how police and homeowners interact when the homeowner could be armed.

I ask his cause 9/10 times if I would interact with anyone at night at my house it will be with the police.

I live in a small gated community.

The police come at night and drive thru the subdivision.

3-4 times over last 7-8 years they have rung the bell at my front door to inform me I have left my garage door or truck door open. It’s normally pretty late at night but I am normally up very late doing work.

Two days back there was a ring at the front door around 1:30 am. I went to grab my m4 Benelli and go down but decided instead to grab a glock 42 and put it in my pocket.

It was the local police informing me my truck door was open. I knew the cop from the local ffl. My German shepherd went crazy when the door bell was rung. She knows the dog but she kept a good distance.

My question is heading down with my m4 Benelli or colt ar15 or exposed handgun would have made for a tough initial introduction.

How do cops and home owners specially those with a exposed firearm interact initially?

Thanks for any tips.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A large part of the equation is where you live.

In the rural northland I ran into people with firearms all the time no problems.

The part is why are they there a crime in process call is handled a lot different then a well your door is open.

If you have some type of security that allows you to see who is there first is huge help.

A intercom system that allows you interaction before you open the door would be fantastic to have.

At my place my bed room faces the drive and I could see who there.

My plan for late night visitors is open bedroom window that is 6 foot off the ground 20 feet from the door and have the conversation.

Who ever is there would never see my firearm until necessary

I do not plan to go to the door or open until I determine what is going on.

If you are un sure that visitor is actually the police dial 911 and have them confirmed it.

I would not go to the door with firearm in hand and suddenly open it.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I would not go to the door with firearm in hand and suddenly open it.

This is the advice I was looking for. Thank you.

If my main interaction in a suburban setting which is mostly going to be with the police knocking at my door to check if everything is okay. I don’t want to be running around with exposed firearms.

I have more and more appreciation for my dog and purpose he serves.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be lying if I said that where you live didn’t matter. My home in town is in a gated community in A fairly conservative enclave of California. My ranch is in a very rural area in Wyoming. In both places, the fact that I have guns in my home would not be an issue with the police.
At my California home, the officers look like me, vote like me and like guns like me. In Wyoming, I let one of the deputies hunt my place.
They’d look at me funny if I didn’t have guns.
That’s the thing that many people miss. I’m a law abiding ccw carrying tax payer, my guns aren’t the ones that cops worry about when they clock in.
That said, California, even where I am, is changing. That’s why I have professional people exploring the logistics of me moving my company out of state and I have explored 1031 exchanging property into another ranch in a state more aligned with my values.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I live in fairly well off gated community. However, the fact that you have gates does not guarantee you that it will protect you from outside people getting into the community for nefarious purposes, unless you have a 24 hour guard gate. Even then people will jump fences and find other ways to get in. We've experienced some of that as well. I have a ring camera at the front door, and two other rings installed in strategic locations around the outside of the house, including the driveway where I can see and hear anyone passing by or coming into my driveway. If someone comes to the door at any time, day or night, I know it immediately and can see who it is and talk with them without answering the door at all. I was in Hawaii in February on a family vacation and while there two individuals came to my front door in Las Vegas. I was immediately notified, saw them and talked with them, telling them that I was upstairs and couldn't answer the door. I conducted the business at hand thousands of miles away. Works for me. For some others, a sophisticated camera system might be the key. Big Grin My two neighbors across the street have spent thousands of dollars on those systems and they actually benefit me as well regarding their extended reach. Big Grin But, I digress. I have been known to answer the door with my 45 behind my back. But, that was before my ring camera system. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
We have several Punk type kids on our police force these days and one middle aged officer old enough to know he shouldn't be such a smartass. I'm not sure which one will be the one to ring the doorbell at night but my dog will be announcing their presence before they ring any doorbell. I need the ring type cameras. One should know what is going on before going to the door. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I live in fairly well off gated community. However, the fact that you have gates does not guarantee you that it will protect you from outside people getting into the community for nefarious purposes, unless you have a 24 hour guard gate. Even then people will jump fences and find other ways to get in. We've experienced some of that as well. I have a ring camera at the front door, and two other rings installed in strategic locations around the outside of the house, including the driveway where I can see and hear anyone passing by or coming into my driveway. If someone comes to the door at any time, day or night, I know it immediately and can see who it is and talk with them without answering the door at all. I was in Hawaii in February on a family vacation and while there two individuals came to my front door in Las Vegas. I was immediately notified, saw them and talked with them, telling them that I was upstairs and couldn't answer the door. I conducted the business at hand thousands of miles away. Works for me. For some others, a sophisticated camera system might be the key. Big Grin My two neighbors across the street have spent thousands of dollars on those systems and they actually benefit me as well regarding their extended reach. Big Grin But, I digress. I have been known to answer the door with my 45 behind my back. But, that was before my ring camera system. Big Grin

I have a nest doorbell.

I am a big fan of electronic front door locks and doorbell cameras. Other cameras around the house are okay.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a big fan of electronic front door locks and doorbell cameras.

Yep, I forgot to mention that we too have electronic door locks on all of our outside doors, including the front door. tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My son lives in a high dollar gated community in Austin also. He took several of my handguns to clean without my permission + he was burglarized the same night + they were all lost. Nothing else, just the pistols. I know damn well it was an inside job.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the information, in that last post, surprises me whatsoever!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My son lives in a high dollar gated community in Austin also. He took several of my handguns to clean without my permission + he was burglarized the same night + they were all lost. Nothing else, just the pistols. I know damn well it was an inside job.

Sad news Randy. Sorry to hear that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carry your gun behind your back, if its police tell them you have a firearm in your pocket or behind your back, bandishing a pistol in their presence will get you a warning if your lucky, if not you might get shot..

It's happened a number of times on house invasion call, where you call the police then walk around carrying a pistol and they take you for a armed whatever..Use your head use caution..If you point a gun at a police officer, unfortunatly you deserve to get shot..Call the police go into your bedroom get in bed hide the pistol under the sheet in your hand, just get out of their way and let them handle it, if the bad guy comes in the door shoot him or tell him to stick'um up! If he has a gun shoot him and hope he isn't some damn dumb undercover cop where he has no business. tu2

I would not be a cop today, right or wrong the upper echelon ass holes are not backing their men, they bend to the wind..this is training stuff they teach

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had someone banging on my front door about 10 yrs ago at 1-2 AM.
I got up but was in my shorts and thru on some sweat pants. Those pants will not support a firearm (too loose).
I had my Sig 226 (40 S&W) with me and turned on the front porch light. A uniformed police officer was there with another about 10 feet behind him.
I set the Sig on a table about 10 feet away from the door and opened the door.
The policeman looked at me and could tell I just got out of bed and noted the security alarm had gone off at the house and they were answering it.
I told him I thought he was mistaken. The alarm had not gone off and typically someone will call prior to sending the police.
He was polite and asked if he could come in and inspect the house a bit and look in the garage.
I let him in told him where the SIG was.
He departed after 4-5 minutes when he felt all was clear.
Suggested he find out the location where the alarm was going off.
He never paid much attention to the firearm.
I did note they parked their squad car about 3-4 houses down.
I turned on the enterior entry lights prior to opening the door and allowing them entry. Turned on all the lights in the house to assist their search.
They were very respectful.
Wrong house..

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but absolute respect for the police (they have a shit job at the moment), but I would never invite or allow them to enter my home or vehicle without a warrant.

It's pretty simple - If you must interface with the police at your home, do so unarmed. It lessens any misinterpretation and/or defensive response on their part. Put yourself in their shoes - How comfortable would you be if you encountered an armed homeowner you didn't know. You certainly wouldn't be relaxed...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Opus. I also have to add the comments of Jeff Copper who we can all admit as being about American as they come + in defense of LEO; concerning the "tactics" of the current (at the time, maybe still now) SWAT forces in breaking in in ski masks. He said + I agree that when someone breaks into your house, dressed in black with a ski mask on, there is REALLY only one response.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I agree Opus. I also have to add the comments of Jeff Copper who we can all admit as being about American as they come + in defense of LEO; concerning the "tactics" of the current (at the time, maybe still now) SWAT forces in breaking in in ski masks. He said + I agree that when someone breaks into your house, dressed in black with a ski mask on, there is REALLY only one response.

I had a client get raided in a pre-dawn SWAT felony warrant service raid. Whether the police correctly announced before busting through his door or not is still a question of who is answering. All I know is that he heard his door kicked in, which woke him up, and he did what most of us would've done (assuming he didn't them call out police, or they did't) and grab a firearm to protect our property.He exited his bedroom door with his pistol at low ready and was immediately shot at at least 17 times. Luckily, he didn't get hit and his daughter was at her mother's.

He was accused of running a house of ill repute that may have allowed more "touching" than might be legal. That doesn't exactly fit my idea of a suspect deserving of such a raid.

I know some SWAT officers do get their rocks off on such things. I am not anti-police at all. I am against super meathead cops that love the power of the badge and gun.

In the situation described above, things could've been handled in a different way. Had things gone tits up, it could've changed/ended lives forever.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I have a friend that is also in the metal business + his shop is in the next town over. He showed me some pics of a job he was commissioned to do by the local P.D. They were given a vehicle from the military (kinda between a humvee + a 3/4 Ton 1/2 track, armored) They wanted him to tear out the seats (still good) + along with new seats install hooks to hang on outside the vehicle so that when they go on a SWAT "raid" they can look cool hanging off the vehicle. The town is so small it doesn't need a SWAT team but boys will be boys with their toys, especially when someone else is paying the tab.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The idea the proper announcement is given in a few seconds in crazy.

Depending on the house and many other factors it could be up to minutes before some one can hear it answer the door.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a doubt in anyone's mind that this an extremely stressful situation on the LEO side. From what I have read about the 'wrong house raids' (we never hear about the ones that go right) it strikes me as bad intelligence in the reporting of the correct address. That should be addressed by the P.D.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I don't think there is a doubt in anyone's mind that this an extremely stressful situation on the LEO side. From what I have read about the 'wrong house raids' (we never hear about the ones that go right) it strikes me as bad intelligence in the reporting of the correct address. That should be addressed by the P.D.

Agreed, sir. This individual would've surrendered upon any warrant and did not need a full scale SWAT invasion.

I am glad we have our police forces, but there are times when they want to re-enacts Hollywood ends up with people getting shot.

The "knock and announce" is pretty much that, as p dog said. In pre-dawn hours when it's dark, bad things can happen.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first started as a LEO in the 70's one had to pull hens teeth to get a no knock warrant.

As the "war on drugs" increased the big city cops started using no knock warrants.

You know we have to save the drugs.

That trend infected the whole country.

We have had a break down of our system

First off the cops shouldn't be asking for them unless absolutely needed.

The DA's shouldn't be signing off on them unless absolutely needed.

The judges should not be signing off on them unless absolutely needed.

But what we have now is rubber stamping them up the chain.

The results of such actions have not been good for our rights..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Sun, 02 Aug 2020 03:56:40 GMT-0700', '02 August 2020 15:56')+'</nobr>');02 August 2020 15:5602 August 2020 15:56Hide PostWhen I first started as a LEO in the 70's one had to pull hens teeth to get a no knock warrant.As the "war on drugs" increased the big city cops started using no knock warrants.You know we have to save the drugs.That trend infected the whole country.We have had a break down of our system First off the cops shouldn't be asking for them unless absolutely needed.The DA's shouldn't be signing off on them unless absolutely needed.The judges should not be signing off on them unless absolutely needed.But what we have now is rubber stamping them up the chain. The results of such actions have not been good for our rights..

Well said. Your door splinters on a forced entry in the night, you grab a gun, the outcome won't be good.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that taking out the bad guys or getting the drugs for evidence is paramount. But getting the wrong address is a problem that dispatch needs to solve, not the men on the beat. They are answering a call from dispatch; now is not the time to question all the angles. As I have already said, when someone breaks down your door in a ski mask + is armed, there is only one response.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well said. Your door splinters on a forced entry in the night, you grab a gun, the outcome won't be good.

I should have said by the swat team.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Now anyone can dress like a SWAT team member. Everything is so confusing now. I am just happy not to be in Portland.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you let them dress up as stormtroopers, they will start to act like it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2 We've had criminals dress up like cops, Mormon missionaries, etc. You break my door down in the middle of the night you're dead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've had criminals dress up like cops, Mormon missionaries, etc. You break my door down in the middle of the night you're dead.

If it's the swat team, your dead too.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad but true + when the news gets through with it you are the villain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's the swat team, your dead too.

A risk that I am happy to take. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
If they come to my house and want to look around, I have no problem with that, Ive done nothing wrong, don't have anything stashed..Have at it but put things back like they were, be polite and friendly, but do not screw with me or mine, I have an asshole for a lawyer, nasty guy..

Lots of power happy cops out there today, mostly in small depts., thay pay so little that some are on wellfare, and have received poor if any training, These guys really make it rough on the millions of good LE officers out there, and the bad ones need to be culled..There attitude is "if the end justifies the means" its OK, that's seriously bad!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How everything can go sideways in a flash...

quote:

Man, 40, is shot dead by Arizona cop at point blank range after he answered the door with a gun in his hand after a neighbor made noise complaint, but his girlfriend said they were playing video games
Arizona man Ryan Whitaker, 40, was fatally shot by a Phoenix police officer responding to a noise complaint at his home on May 21 around 10pm
Whitaker answered the door with a 9mm gun in his hand but as he tried to put it down he was shot at least twice in the back and died
His girlfriend said they were making salsa and playing video games at the time
Cops were responding to noise complaint about potential domestic violence
She said he answered the door with a gun because people knocked on his door in the middle of the night on two occasions and it made them concerned
Whitaker's family says the officers were quick to use force even though he was being submissive after realizing cops were at the door

By MARLENE LENTHANG PUBLISHED: 12:37 EDT, 10 August 2020 | UPDATED: 13:18 EDT, 10 August 2020

Harrowing police body camera footage shows how a noise complaint in Arizona turned into a fatal police shooting where a man playing video games was shot in the back seconds after opening his front door.

On May 21 around 10pm Phoenix police knocked on the door of Ryan Whitaker, 40, following a complaint about noise from an upstairs neighbor.

Whitaker answered the door with a 9mmgun in hand because he heard a stranger knock on his apartment door in the middle of the night earlier that month, according to AZCentral.

He had been playing video games with his girlfriend Brandee Nees when he answered the door and was killed in less than a minute.

When he opened the door he was confronted by two Phoenix police officers and they were surprised by the sight of his firearm.

Just three seconds later Phoenix Officer Jeff Cooke shot Whitaker in the back at least two times at point-blank range, killing him.

The horrific police shooting was just one of several in the police department this year that has reawakened criticism of the force’s use of deadly force.

Following public outrage over Whitaker’s death the police department released 30-minute bodycam worn by Officer John Ferragamo in July who was on the scene with Cooke.

In the bodycam footage the officers are seen mocking the caller for not giving enough helpful information and insisting officers come quickly.

When they get to Whitaker’s door and knock, Whitaker opens it with his gun visible in his hands then he quickly takes a couple steps out of the apartment as Ferragamo flashes a light in his face.

Ferragamo repeatedly yells, 'Hands' after seeing the gun.

Whitaker then gets on his knees and raises his left hand and puts the gun behind his back, then Cooke fires into Whitaker’s back.

Whitaker’s family says he put the gun down on the ground and was still shot.

After shots fired Whitaker’s girlfriend walks out shouting, 'Why did you guys shoot him?'

'He just pulled a gun on us, ma’am,' Cooke replies.

'Because it's dark and someone just knocked on the door,' she yells back.

Nees asks the officers why they’re there and they say they received a call about a fight between them.

Nees says that Whitaker heard a knock on his door in the middle of the night a few days earlier but when he looked through the door’s peephole, whoever knocked was gone.

She said that on another occasion a woman who used to live in the complex knocked on his door asking for help because she got into a fight with her partner.

She said they were playing Crash Bandicoot on PlayStation and making salsa when the cops knocked.

'Literally we were making salsa and playing Crash Bandicoot, so there may have been some screaming,' she said. 'It wasn’t domestic violence or anything.'

Nees tells the cops that Whitaker had gone to his daughter’s high school graduation earlier that day.

In the police report, Cooke claimed he shot Whitaker because he feared for his life.

Ferragamo told another cop at the scene he would’ve done the same thing.

In the wake of George Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis Police Officers, law enforcement forces across the country are facing criticism for use of excessive force.

Whitaker’s shooting is one of 11 Phoenix police shootings in 2020, five of which were fatal.

Now it’s up the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office to determine whether they’ll file criminal charges against Cooke.

A petition named Justice for Ryan demanding answers into why police acted so quickly with force as racked up over 21,000 signatures.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last year we were at a river house south of austin at a b b q when the local asshole got drunk as a skunk, ate all the meat out of the pan with his hands, started yelling etc etc. i told him he leaves or i throw him off the balcony/porch. his GF led him home 2 doors down where he starts firing a shotgun into the air. my sons fiance calls the police. 30 minutes later i sneak to his window and peek in, he passed out in a chair. deputys show up finally. first thing i say is i have a pistol on me and a liscense to carry it, but i'll go put it up if she wants me to. she laughs and says so what everyone in texas carrys a pistol. she thanked me for telling her. we did another sneak and peek and she left. hes now banned from going anywhere on the property, the range, etc.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another article on the Phoenix shooting
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/...in-phoenix-az-video/

one of us
posted Hide Post
If law enforcement kicks your door and come in with masks, they almost certainly will have a search warrant obtained thru probable cause, if you point a gun at them, you will die, or be serverly injured, simple as that. there have been mistakes made such as a misprint on the address on very rare occasions...

As for me I know a swat team when I see one and Im dropping my gun as the other option is Id get killed..

The judgement is yours, the results are yours, but being shot to death is damn permanent..I can't think of a worse scenario, but even if those masked bandits were the bad guys your end is near and why would they be there in the first place ?

Anything can happen and that's for sure, but whatever you do, use caution and don't over react, everytime your door bell rings isn't a distress call..I noticed sometimes on a call that the man of the house almost seemed to be looking for a fight bragging and informing how he is always prepared, I also noticed that bad guys while dieing always seemed to want their mama!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120