Find
Notify
Tools

Why you need a gun in the house
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From Orange County Florida

“Today, one of our deputies shot a man who broke into her Apopka home. The suspect was attempting to break into numerous homes in the area. He used this axe to bust through our deputy’s door and she shot him.

Our Deputy and her family are safe, and that’s what matters. The suspect is expected to survive.”

The picture of the ax thru the glass door is pretty terrifying.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Wow----Sounds kind of like Jack Nickolson in the "The Shining"

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I hate it when it says they were sent to the hospital, even more so when we waste the taxpayers money to get them to survive.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree, just like spending tax dollars to clone grackles. I recall reading an article in the early 70s about a would-be rapist breaking into this woman's hotel room. Seems she was there in that town for the Olympics. She was on the pistol team. She held her pistol on the guy + we all thought that his last thoughts were "O.K. I got caught, so what? 1st I'll call my lawyer,....." She printed a nice cloverleaf pattern over his heart. I've always loved that story.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TCLouis:

That was a very politically incorrect comment these days. We're supposed to be a lot more empathetic and touchy feely about the poor downtrodden who are forced into a life of crime by their horrible childhoods. Mainstream media doesn't care about the cost to the taxpayers or even the safety of honest citizens.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more case of the "pussification" of America's sense of justice + primarily REASON.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the part of the book "The Shootist" that John Wayne did a great job in but downplayed this one early scene. In the beginning, he gut shoots that robber with his derringer + then kicks him in the freezing water + says, "Try not to rob anybody else before you die." It is a great book but don't read the sequel written by the author's son. It's a waste.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a strong believer in the double tap thats being used by many Law Enforcement agencies in training, and its gives the officer an answer to the suspects lawer openning question.. in that he can say we were taught in LE school to "double tap", meaning shoot twice...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Fri, 28 Feb 2020 20:21:37 GMT-0800', '29 February 2020 08:21')+'</nobr>');29 February 2020 07:2129 February 2020 08:21Hide PostTCLouis:That was a very politically incorrect comment these days. We're supposed to be a lot more empathetic and touchy feely about the poor downtrodden who are forced into a life of crime by their horrible childhoods. Mainstream media doesn't care about the cost to the taxpayers or even the safety of honest citizens.

F--- em!

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
First Priority is to stop the threat.

Then, when the police show up and ask 'What happened?" you say: 'Ask Him'

They say; 'He's Dead!'

Then you reply " Well, here's what happened...'

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the story about the elderly homeowner who noticed some guys looting his garage + called 911 + was told they would have a squad car there in 30 minutes. He figured, hell, they'll be gone by then so he calls back + says never mind, I just shot them. 45 seconds later patrol cars show up + arrest the thieves. The officer said I thought you said you shot them + the old man said + I thought you said 30 minutes.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
First Priority is to stop the threat.

Yep!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thought process or discipline I have is, “I shot to stop. Whether they die is between them and God.”

Apparently, this fella, finally, picked the wrong house.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Remember that tired old saying,

"When seconds count, help is only minutes away."

This is not meant to demean police response, out here in the county the deputy for the area may be close by or some distance away and out west far further away.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a deputy in a large rural county.

The only deputy on duty.

Many times the response time was more then a half an hour.

If I was on one end and the call was on the other end, even running lights and siren it could be 40 min to an hour.

As improved since the 70's and 80's But 20 min isn't unheard of.

Those times would be if one is not already tied up doing something else.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I hate it when it says they were sent to the hospital, even more so when we waste the taxpayers money to get them to survive.

And probably sue, not to mention whip up public sympathy.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well, stand by! Once the new president and his vice take over, you will have to fight armed criminals with a base ball bat, because you won't have a gun to protect your home and family!

................................ oldMacD37 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the "Old Corps" we had a saying, "If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting twice". Probably not allowed any more due to PC issues. I keep a gun in more than one place in the house.

Semper Fi.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that. just like the phone I installed, I keep a pistol in the drawer beside the toilet. If you need it in a hurry you are in a very compromising position.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True that. just like the phone I installed, I keep a pistol in the drawer beside the toilet. If you need it in a hurry you are in a very compromising position.

Correct stance is important.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Well, stand by! Once the new president and his vice take over, you will have to fight armed criminals with a base ball bat, because you won't have a gun to protect your home and family!

................................ oldMacD37 2020

LOL, well then, I expect to be awakened by near 600 lbs of male Rottweilers that 'don't' bark, they just watch ; ]

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
[quote]"The suspect is expected to survive."
Shit!

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
When I was a deputy in a large rural county.

The only deputy on duty.

Many times the response time was more then a half an hour.

If I was on one end and the call was on the other end, even running lights and siren it could be 40 min to an hour.

As improved since the 70's and 80's But 20 min isn't unheard of.

Those times would be if one is not already tied up doing something else.

I travel across southeast corner of Oregon on my way to/from the Boise are, where I duck hunt. On one trip last winter, I was talking with an Oregon Highway Patrolman late at night at the gas station in Jordan Valley. I commented that he must have a lonely beat out there at night. His response was that it was since he’s the only law enforcement fron the Nevada State line clear over to the Idaho State line and all the way up to Burns, Oregon. He could be more than 2 1/2 hours away from a call on that beat...

With no backup!

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
His response was that it was since he’s the only law enforcement fron the Nevada State line clear over to the Idaho State line and all the way up to Burns, Oregon. He could be more than 2 1/2 hours away from a call on that beat...

Most of the times in those cases officers are called out from home. Depending on what type of call.

In my early career I was the only officer out and about in several counties.

I made a lot of over time being called out.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you wound the bad guy, he will testify against you in court?? and the liberal media will come after you these days..You couldn't pay me enough t be a Law enforcement officer in this society today. The weak politicians, police officials, and sheriffs today are new breed, and expected back up is less than in my day to say the least..Policeman are walking out in high numbers particularly in the large cities, whos going to carry the badge, some they hire off the unemployment list. Bad days are coming.

BTW, the silent enemy, the Mexican Cartel, are moving into the border cities in rather large numbers, they want to be in the safety of the USA, but they will only bring the violence with them, only recently police found 3 heads in a sack in the main intersection of downtown EL Paso, it was a blurb in the back page of the EL paso times..Nobody want to piss them off they blow up buildings so it didnt' make headlines world wide as it should have, it was cartel related..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote