The Accurate Reloading Forums
Added an optic to my carry gun

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6011036801/m/5111010462

20 January 2021, 07:45
Fjold
Added an optic to my carry gun
I finally had to admit that I just don't see the sights on my carry gun as well as I should so I had a Trijicon added to my every day carry gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

20 January 2021, 15:46
p dog shooter
They do help at the longer ranges for sure.
21 January 2021, 17:09
4-5-0
Congrats, I started using red dots about three years ago. It took me a while to learn not to 'chase the dot'and focus more on the target than is typical with iron sights. For me they are much more accurate beyond ten yards and for small dot work. However, my times 'from the draw' are still not as fast as with irons<ten yards. Still working on it. Have fun with it.
27 January 2021, 18:41
Fjold
I went out to the ranch on Sunday to shoot it and it's gong to take some serious re-training before I can carry it.

After 50 years of focusing on the front sight it was almost impossible to use the dot alone.

I'll be practicing a lot before I trust myself with it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

28 January 2021, 03:38
p dog shooter
Suppressor sights help a lot.

I been learning how to use one on glock 19 I am about 98 percent on target now.
06 February 2021, 04:06
Atkinson
Most inportantly with a pistol, is instinctive shooting point and shoot IMO, one can get incredibly efficient in just a little time and practice up 25 yards and one can get the 12" bull at 50 as a matter of fact with a 4" combat magnum.. In a life saving situation I want a simple gun, no gimmicks, such as my Browning HP or Colt 1911 with a trigger job, carefully fitted barrellug and throated with a tad of releif in the rear of the ejection port, nothing more, and about 200 rounds before I carried it..Military type sights of one type or another, mine are a tad larger...

If one is a pistol "hunter" optics, even a scope is fun and gives one an advantage..but todays tricked out pistols, bows and muzzle loaders suffer little if any hardship in the hunting field..Especially in the many draw hunts and rut hunts, calling and blind hunting..A scoped muzzle loader is elk deadly in the rut as is the bow and pistol, now we have cross bows and they are indeed potent..As I age I thinkmore and more of taking such hunts, not quite yet..I almost feel guilty shooting a cow elk in a alfalfa patch but lordy I do like cow elk on the table

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com