New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rugers new 3 inch 38 LCR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I spent 4 days at the SHOT show looking things I found Ruger had brought out their LCR in 3 inch and adjustable sights talked about 4 inch version also both should weigh in at just over a pound. They are going to bring out them in 357mag.

Might have to buy one of those to replace my TI41 mag as my back pack/running gun in black bear country.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed the Glock 41. Don't know how new it is, but a 13 round 45acp with 5.25" barrel interests me, IF it is accurate. Anyone got or shot one?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
For defensive firefights, reportedly at 3 feet or less, what is the point of a 3" barreled revolver? Just marketing?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For defensive firefights, reportedly at 3 feet or less, what is the point of a 3" barreled revolver? Just marketing?

For us who can shoot having a adjustable sighted little longer barreled handgun makes its a lot more useful. Than just for self defense hunting comes to mind.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Is not the world full of 3" 357's?

And somehow one can't shoot w/o a 3" barrel and adjustable sights? That doesn't figure.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Is not the world full of 3" 357's?

And somehow one can't shoot w/o a 3" barrel and adjustable sights? That doesn't figure.

Isn't the world filled with 22 inch barreled rifles.

No their are very few 3inch 1lb 357 with adjustable sights

One might want to use different types of bullets different powder ect. that might not shoot to the point of aim to the fix sights.

Having adjustable sights on a pistol is just as nice as having them on a long gun

Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that there was enough customer input/demand to justify the cost of producing it.

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the variety of bullet weights available for the 357, from 110gr. to 180 gr. I would think that adjustable sights would help for anything further away than 3 feet.It seems to me that guns could well have more than one purpose, otherwise we would all be carrying derringers as our CW.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTI1USNRET:
I'm guessing that there was enough customer input/demand to justify the cost of producing it.

I did my best to let the Ruger reps I talked with know that some of us find adjustable sights useful

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally think the type of game one would hunt with a 3" barrel 357 Magnum would be pretty limited. Not useful for small game (even with 38 Special rounds) and not enough velocity in a 3" tube for deer size game. Coyotes, perhaps, but remember it takes a 6" barrel in the 357 Magnum for the bullet to show real hustle. Sure, adjustable sights on any handgun are nice but methinks 99% of the folks who buy this new Ruger revolver will use/carry it as a 'yank and crank gut gun' used for close range self defense.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Since the forum is supposedly about personal defence, I figger shooting a bear long range with them 3" barrels and adjustable sights can hardly be called defence.

Maybe I'm mistaken, 'cause I'm thinking defense.

Maybe defence is a different personal protection problem.

Or maybe it's just misspelled.

stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot somebody at more than a few yards it's probably not going to look like self defense.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Um, believe me, there have been plenty of justified self defense shootings that have happened more than a few yards away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's long range case out Texas where the good guy shot the bad guy at around 57 yards with is 357 bad guy had a 30-30

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with and/or understand everyone's position. Now I just have to figure out how to conceal a .44 mag, Ruger Redhawk with a 3" barrel. Short of a purse, any ideas?

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Agree with and/or understand everyone's position. Now I just have to figure out how to conceal a .44 mag, Ruger Redhawk with a 3" barrel. Short of a purse, any ideas?

Halliburton briefcase with ballistic panel inserts---

tu2

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

In Wisconsin in the winter hiding my 7.5 inch redhawk is doable

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched some people trudging past my house today in a snowstorm. Some of them were so bundled up they could have been packing a carbine or a shortish shotgun and it wouldn't have shown.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lavaca:

Garrett Industries makes excellent IWB and OWB holsters and lists your handgun as available.

Also Simply Rugged makes pancake style holsters for most large frame revolvers.

I have 2 Garrett holsters and will soon be ordering a third.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote