45 ACP 2" barrel powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Most load data is not for a short barrel pistol

What is a great powder for the 45ACP with a 2" tube

Bullseye is my current goto 45 powder

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Barrel length has nothing to do with powder selection.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bullseye is my current goto 45 powder

I would use the Bullseye it about as fast as you can get.

What 45 do you have with a 2 inch barrel?

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Springfield xds micro

It's listed at about 3" but only has 2" in front of the chamber

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Burn rate is decided by the cartridge and bullet not barrel length. The same powders that give the most velocity in full sized acp's will also be fastest in short barrels as well.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 45 acp auto with barrel less than 4" should use light bullets, 200, 185, and similar ! That's for proper cycling.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:

<sigh>

Not even worth responding to.

Bullseye is probably your best bet.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Rohrer:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:

<sigh>

Not even worth responding to.

Bullseye is probably your best bet.

What I posted is a fact, not an assumption.

- Winston Churchill

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that most pistol powders except magnums burn in the first 2 inches of barrel. The fast powders burn in the first inch and the slower powders burn in the second inch.

I'd try picking a powder and load for reliability first, and next see how accuracy is. I don't have any 2" guns so I don't know if loading for accuracy for that barrel length is even possible. Smiler

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have any 2" guns so I don't know if loading for accuracy for that barrel length is even possible.

2 inch guns are mostly inaccurate to some because of their size and sighting length.

When I had younger eyes or longer arms I shot them well.

Killed a yote at 32 yards one time one shot double action. Place that 125gr JHP right under its muzzle one dead yote.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Good shot in double action. That is usually what kills accuracy.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Good shot in double action. That is usually what kills accuracy.

I hardly ever shoot my double action revolvers single action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
A 45 acp auto with barrel less than 4" should use light bullets, 200, 185, and similar ! That's for proper cycling.

Just a warning. I have a Springfield XDS in 45ACP. I tried light bullets in mine (Hornady 185's). The gun is hard on bullets when loading and was setting back bullets regularly. There just isn't enough shank on the light bullets to keep them from being driven back into the case. I've never had a failure of any kind with 230gr round nose or hollow points, and the heavier bullets stay put in the case.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
P Dog, I admit to shooting less DA than I should. Probably about 70% of the time with the revolver I used to carry (.357 snub nose), maybe 10 to 15% with my 6 inch .357. When I take the service 9's out the SIG is always first round DA, the Beretta depends on how I am shooting. For bull's eye, everything is SA. For quals it was DA first round or when redrawn. My typical carry is a Glock 30SF.

Lapidry, not getting into a reloaded ammo tangent but were they factory loaded 185's? I have only shot a mag or two of the Hornady. I carry Golden Saber 185 +P's in my Glock 30SF.

Ted, I typically don't reload carry ammo because I don't shoot as much of it. I load practice ammo for the same weight and velocity (recoil similarity). My logic is that I buy a few hundred to carry and shoot them when I rotate mags, for practice I don't need to shoot expensive bullets on targets.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
quote:
Originally posted by mete:

Just a warning. I have a Springfield XDS in 45ACP. I tried light bullets in mine (Hornady 185's). The gun is hard on bullets when loading and was setting back bullets regularly. There just isn't enough shank on the light bullets to keep them from being driven back into the case. I've never had a failure of any kind with 230gr round nose or hollow points, and the heavier bullets stay put in the case.

I have to down load one round to get 185's to feed in my XDS's--other than that , no problems and the slightly lighter recoil does help in the little gun.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lapidry, not getting into a reloaded ammo tangent but were they factory loaded 185's? I have only shot a mag or two of the Hornady. I carry Golden Saber 185 +P's in my Glock 30SF.

Yes, factory. I'm guessing the bullets are hitting the steep feed ramp and setting back a little every time they are loaded.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd say either the feed ramp top of the chamber. I have a 1911/that won't feed 185 semi was cutters. They come up out of the mag and don't turn down into the chamber. They could be hitting the top of the chamber and making back in. Either way, I was curious if they were factory Hornady loads since it was something I hadn't seen before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this ammo to be used for carry in a self defense gun?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
So what if it is? Are we going to restart the mythical extra deadly bullet debate? If it functions reliably and isn't over pressure he can carry whatever ammo he chooses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its a handload they don't have a factory load to compare to for blood splatter and stuff.

quote:
So what if it is? Are we going to restart the mythical extra deadly bullet debate? If it functions reliably and isn't over pressure he can carry whatever ammo he chooses.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
If struck with a 185 grain bullet at 10 feet or 100 yards the velocity change will change the wound path and blood spatter. There is no legal requirement to carry a factory round.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dude, I , never said anything about legal requirements. I don't know why you are getting so emotional.
Carrying a gun is about a lot of compromises. If the guy knows the advantages and disadvantages of carrying handloads and still chooses to carry them, that's his choice. But if he makes choices without info that is a bad thing.
I understand that a handgun sucks at actually stopping people compared to the 12 gauge or ar15 which I could legally carry. But I choose to carry a crappy gunfight tool for my own convenience. I know it's a bad choice, but at least I know.

quote:
If struck with a 185 grain bullet at 10 feet or 100 yards the velocity change will change the wound path and blood spatter. There is no legal requirement to carry a factory round.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Never mind. Not worth the side track.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used high burning rate powders like the 700 X Hi Skor behind a 200 grains SWC when I was loading for one.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote