New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Opinion on a 10mm 1911
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think I’m in the market for a 1911 chambered in 10mm. I not looking for a hunting or concealed carry pistol, but mostly for range use and just “because I want one”. My budget is less than $1200 and have considered the Springfield Ronin, the Ruger SR1911 and the Rock Island Ultra FS. These run from $1200 down to $700, with the RIA being the lowest price. My question is how the Rock Island stacks up against the Springfield and the Ruger. I have experience with all three manufacturers and don’t see a big difference in quality or fit. I’m thinking the RIA is my best deal, as I can purchase more ammo with the difference in cost. After that, I’ll reload the brass.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 933 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
I think I’m in the market for a 1911 chambered in 10mm. I not looking for a hunting or concealed carry pistol, but mostly for range use and just “because I want one”. My budget is less than $1200 and have considered the Springfield Ronin, the Ruger SR1911 and the Rock Island Ultra FS. These run from $1200 down to $700, with the RIA being the lowest price. My question is how the Rock Island stacks up against the Springfield and the Ruger. I have experience with all three manufacturers and don’t see a big difference in quality or fit. I’m thinking the RIA is my best deal, as I can purchase more ammo with the difference in cost. After that, I’ll reload the brass.

I shot and used a Ronin I had a chance to buy it at a very good price.

I passed it up I did not like the way it handled.

I would go with the Ruger I like my SR!911.

I don't know much about the RIA

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Ruger SR1911 10mm from Cabelas online. They are shipping to my local store for pickup. Believe it’s a better gun than the RIA…hopefully!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 933 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger they make quality firearms

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I know this is sacrilege, and I do like my 1911s, but the first time I picked up and shot a Glock 20, I was sold on it. Sixteen shooter, manageable recoil, and as accurate as I can be. It's the only Glock I own.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Glock is not a 1911 for sure.

They are good reliable hand guns I own many.

I find the model 20 grip just to big for my hands.

My only complaint.

I have shot one a bit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purely subjective… I like the look of Studebaker cars and especially Studebaker pickup trucks,but can’t stand the looks of a plastic Glock!

Once again… it’s just my opinion.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Purely subjective

A lot of life is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just picked up a Ruger SR1911 10mm from Cabelas online. They are shipping to my local store for pickup. Believe it’s a better gun than the RIA…hopefully!

Tell us how you like it, about 500 rounds in. Buyers always fall in love with new purchases, similar to the "beer goggles" affect for one night stands. Only in the morning do you realize that maybe last night's evaluation was overly optimistic.

Based on the ballistics, the 10mm should be close to a 41 Magnum, and I am not interested in that level of blast or recoil. I think a 230 FMj going 820 fps in a 45ACP is just fine out to 50 yards. Still, after 90 rounds of 45 ACP in a Bullseye Pistol Match, I develop a hell of a flinch.

Everyone shoots better with the 22lr!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had several 1911 type 10 mm (still have a couple)including the rock island one, the RI one is a perfectly fine 1911 with n problems, the best of them is probably the s&w 1006 never had a cluck never will

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:

Tell us how you like it, about 500 rounds in. Buyers always fall in love with new purchases, similar to the "beer goggles" affect for one night stands. Only in the morning do you realize that maybe last night's evaluation was overly optimistic.

Based on the ballistics, the 10mm should be close to a 41 Magnum, and I am not interested in that level of blast or recoil. I think a 230 FMj going 820 fps in a 45ACP is just fine out to 50 yards. Still, after 90 rounds of 45 ACP in a Bullseye Pistol Match, I develop a hell of a flinch.

Everyone shoots better with the 22lr!

I understand what you are saying, however, I’m not new to recoil, especially 41 Mag and 45 ACP. Been shooting 45 ACP since 1968 and the 41 Mag since 1972. I cast and load for both and intend on doing the same for my 10mm.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh… here is a picture of my Ruger SR1911 10mm.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good looking pistol.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I own a
1006 (trigger kinda sucks),
SA Omega 6"(awesome),
Colt Match 10 (not really match quality but beautiful),
G20,

Tanfoglio Witness Elite (ding ding ding)

Posts: 6355 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Dan Wesson a Wraith in 10mm.

love it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine had a pair of Colt Delta Elites several years ago + he loved them.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 10 mm. Accuracy with a variety of ammunition was barely within Ruger spec but not within my spec. Without a barrel bushing it would have been difficult to improve the poor accuracy. I sold it and bought a Kimber Camp Guard 10 mm. I've always considered Kimber to be overpriced for the quality. This one is ultra accurate! I'm happy with it.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's all that counts.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, all this talk about 1911's and 10 mm's and no one has mentioned EAA? I own several EAA Witness pistols including the Witness match, Elite etc. in various calibers including 38 Super, 45acp, 9x21 and 10mm. All are excellent guns. The Elite's I have are in stainless steel. Don't know what they go for these days.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to remember that several years ago a buddy bought a clone of the CZ75 + I don't remember if it was an EAA or a Tanfaglio. It functioned O.K. but it was still a clone. I freely admit that I'm an originality weapon snob. Wink I've heard good things about the "Witness" but have never fired one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I freely admit that I'm an originality weapon snob. I've heard good things about the "Witness" but have never fired one.

There is good reason for that a lot of clones do not work as well as the original manufacture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in convincing anyone to buy an EAA pistol. However, some have commented on the inside frame rail design, and, back in the day, many IPSC shooters were using the EAA in 38 Super, and 9x21. But, I guess, one can't improve on the original manufacturer's design.
As I said, I really like mine.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
After two of us bought the Witness in 45, five more club members bought them. One guy went up a few notches and bought a second one in a competition version in 38super

i have one with 3 caliber conversions: 9mm, 45acp, 10mm, 22

one retired LE bought a compact 45 the other retired LE bought a compact 40.

2 club members bought the CZ version in a Tacsport 9mm and 2 more bought CZ shadows.

Only the two LE's carry

Posts: 6355 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With reference to the Witness. I have been considering a witness elite in 38 Super for some time.
There are a lot of options for the hand loader these days pushing velocity levels close to a 9X 23 at safe pressures. Basically a 357 Magnum with lighter bullets.
17 shot 357 Magnum with manageable recoil.
My current favorite handgun is a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 Super. All metal 27 oz. concealable. Was able to get ammo in the shortage period, easy to reload. Well.. Maybe my S&W Mod 41's are still tops!
Certainly not a mainstream 9MM or 45 ACP (I have both of those as well).

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eezridr, I do not believe that the Dan Wesson 38 super has a supported chamber. You should check. If not, then be careful with your reloading. The 9x23 case has been designed for the high pressures that result when loading the 38 super for what used to be "major" power factor.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still like the colt commander in 45 acp or the Brownign HI Power in 9mm..most any of them need a little tuning up..

BTW Have you seen the new Browning HI Power by the Springfield Armory called the SA-35, it is absolutly beautiful, old world workmanship fit and finish..Brownells has them in stock Im told, and at $699. its a sho nuff winner..

Steel and wood, not plastic or tin..

Based on your needs as posted, I would absolutly use a S&W mod. 19 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel, and load it with 38 special wadcutters, cheap to shoot that way and the option of 357 Mag ammo for protection in the house or traveling..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1911 is hard to beat, caliber makes little difference in a pistol, 9mm, 10 MM, 38 super or 45 ACP, all of which will get the job done/

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1911s and Studibakers are made of steel, glocks are built by Mattel Toy cooperation!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a 1911 shooter through and through ...
One of the concerns i would have if I was interested in a 10mm on a 1911 platform with a high pressure round like the 10mm if the case was fully supported...
In other words is the feed ramp on the barrel or the frame... On the frame the case is fully supported.. On the barrel there is a portion of the case above the feed ramnp that is un-supported leaving a chance for case rupture in the event of case failure...

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
1911s and Studibakers are made of steel, glocks are built by Mattel Toy cooperation!!

Not all of them.

Poly frame 1911's.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...play&category_ID=133

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQq8IrJxpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CogEB-m3HY

That is not even talking about the Alum frame ones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't see many Studebakers around these days. Maybe they should have made them out of plastic?
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete, that borders on sacrilege. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Don't see many Studebakers around these days. Maybe they should have made them out of plastic?
Peter

Last time I saw a Studebaker on the highway was about 1990.

I was patrolling and this car went buy with the middle sagging with the front and back ends higher.

The frame was rusted out all four doors were held shut by bungee cords and they were partial open.

They had a 5 gallon gas can in the rear seat with a hose for their gas tank.

The floor pans was rust out that they had to ride with their feet to each side.

None of lights worked ect ect.

They were really pissed off at me when I told them they couldn't drive it down the road like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 6" Rock Island Ultra and it's a big bang for the buck. Not sure how paying more would help except for the finish. 100% reliable with factory ammo and hot reloads. You could also look at the EAA Witness hunter. I have an older one and it's also very nice but works best with larger hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I am a 1911 shooter through and through ...
One of the concerns i would have if I was interested in a 10mm on a 1911 platform with a high pressure round like the 10mm if the case was fully supported...
In other words is the feed ramp on the barrel or the frame... On the frame the case is fully supported.. On the barrel there is a portion of the case above the feed ramnp that is un-supported leaving a chance for case rupture in the event of case failure...

I don't know about the amount of unsupported case head in 10mm 1911's. A 10mm is certainly a much higher pressure round. What I would be worried about is frame peening. A 1911 is a short recoil mechanism, there is not a lot of room to increase the dwell, so I wonder how 10mm manufacturer's do it. I do remember when Colt first sold 10mm, Colt "fix" was a double recoil spring. I do not consider that a good solution.

I had a Colt Combat Elite in 45 ACP peen out in under 3000 rounds. The timing was off. I currently have a hard recoiling 45 ACP Rock Island 1911.

I have gone to a 24 lb recoil spring, a 24 lb mainspring, and a flat bottomed firing pin stop. It is hard as hell to rack the slide, but cartridge ejection is no longer measured in tens of yards! I am sure something would break early with that level of recoil.

And a 10mm out of time would be even worse

I don't have a 10mm and I have been happy with the 45 ACP in semi auto pistols, and 357 Magnums in revolvers. Don't see much of a need for a hard recoiling auto pistol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always had a thing for the 38 Super..Ive seen folks shot by the mex feds with it and its impressive to say the least with modern HP hot ammo..I had one for years in a std steel Colt Commander, wish I still had one..but have little need for a pistol these days in Idaho, everyone else has a scoped rifle or black rifle in their pickup and a 44 magnum under the seat..so do I..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
A good friend has an early Delta Elite he bought when they first came out. I’ve put a beavertail and Cylinder&Slide trigger kit in it for him. He’s very happy with the gun.

Posts: 30 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote