New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extension tube on semi auto?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Remington 1100 20 ga. that I use mainly for skeet. I am thinking of getting a magazine extension tube for "home defense". Has anyone done that? Any recommendations as to make? How does it affect balance and weight? Recommendations as to size (length) of extension?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Nordic Conponents stuff.

Of course, that’s for 3 gun shooting, but they are better built than most of the rest, and reliable.

As for length, on a home defense gun, I’d stick to no longer than the barrel, even though 3 gun guys often run them longer than that.

If you need more than 8-9 rounds in a shotgun, something wrong is going on!

Posts: 10571 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks cr. I have seen good reviews of nordic components. I was thinking of getting the 7 round version, which, if I understand the instructions, will give me 3 more than the standard magazine.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one on a 30" Winchester Super x - think the gun held 13 all up - and it was very heavy, very muzzle heavy.

Not a great gun to carry around. Though I shot some rabbits with it.........once you got it swinging it wasn't going to stop.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have an 8 shot extension on my Rem. 870 12G. shop shotgun. It works very well. I have had too many mechanical failures in the model 1100 to ever trust it again, however, the 870 is the real ticket; besides you might never have to use it + then deal with the courts, etc. Just rack that slide + they will be gone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I contacted Nordic Components directly. They were very responsive, but the cost of a 4 shot extension would be a little over $125. Too rich for my blood.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

They are a bit on the spendy side, but something that works is useful.

I’ve got one on my back up 1100 for 3 gun, and that’s for 12 rounds in the tube. No hick ups with it.

I can see where it’s not in the cards for a home defense gun.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Remington shotguns the factory extensions work very well.

Be careful of some of the after market ones as if your not careful.

You can crimp the end of the original mag tube causing the shells to hang up there.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog, but I don't believe that Remington makes one for their 20 ga. I might just get a Choate.
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had or have choate one around and used it for awhile.

I now have a dedicate 870 tactical that I use as a house shotgun.

It has a factory extension on it.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOme protection is better suited to a high capacity auto pistol, Learned that running search warrants over the years..coming around corners room to room with a shotgun or Ar is awkward and a recipe for trouble IMO..Just my two bits, to each his own.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote