New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally a perfect car handgun carrying system for me
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am headed to New Orleans - went to leave my dog with my mom. She said take a soft cooler with some water bottles.

Somewhere in north Florida on I-10 I stopped at a rest stop got some water and notice there is a perfect quick access opening. Perfect spot for my hk30p.

I don't have to worry about handgun if I go to restroom or get food. No one can see it when they look in the car. Just looks like a cheap soft cooler and sure fast access. Will post some picture in next few days.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, not trying to be difficult, but if your gun is not on you, what good is it? Are you more likely to have a problem driving on the road, or when you stop?

Just saying.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I normally carry but I hate driving or sitting with a handgun. Here I can drop the gun in the cooler on the passinger seat - easy access and not a big scene getting it and putting it away.

If go to a bar or someplace I cannot carry it just sits in my car or truck on the passenger seat.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive posted this a couple times other places, but get a pair of Duluth Trading Foreman Fire Hose pants. They have a zipper pocket on the front right, and even while driving you'll forget there is a pistol there. Unless you unzip that pocket, you have full access to the normal front pocket.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I would say anything left on the seat in plain view is just asking for your car to gain a broken window and the loss of your cooler and firearm in one field swoop!

........................ 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My little Ruger LCP fits in my pants pocket, and has less of a print than my Iphone 7S.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I would say anything left on the seat in plain view is just asking for your car to gain a broken window and the loss of your cooler and firearm in one field swoop!

No one would break in to steal a $10 cooler - this is not a yeti.

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

No one would break in to steal a $10 cooler - this is not a yeti.

Mike

You'd be surprised what a homeless wino will break in to to get a small cooler that may have a couple of cans of beer. My wife had her car broken into because it had about fifty cents in change in the cup holder. Nothing is too small for thief.

.................................................................. popcorn

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's no shit;I had someone steal a shovel out of the back of my truck. A shovel!! Hell all you can do with it is work.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Assuming I don't get too gut pronounced, a Sticky holster at 11 am is the best thing I've found for the S&W Shield.

Rather than leave it in the truck during a potty break, and this may be too much information, I just put the holster in the top of my cowboy boot. Handy!!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19293 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the real issue here is:
1. Where to have a gun while in the car, where it is more handy than the door pocket or the arm rest?
2. A gun in the pant pocket, while driving is not very handy!
I am sure these have been addressed before, but the question does seem to keep coming up.
When I stop for gas or at a rest area there are generally plenty of other cars around so I am not THAT concerned about a car break in. Also, it is a little tricky transferring a handgun from wherever it is stored in the car, onto ones person, when exiting the car. The opposite process of course, when entering the car. My current carry gun is a Ruger LCR which fits very well in my pants pocket, in a pocket holster. However it is almost impossible to reach in a hurry while seated and buckeled in. Similarly, I find a strong side belt carry to be almost impossible to reach with a seat belt fastened. However, a cross draw is easily reached.
Comments?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda no brainer now as the open carry is now in effect.I carry my 1911 on my hip(covered). I drive w/doors locked + I am left handed.Let us hope it is not needed but I am always in condition orange when driving downtown.(yellow out of town).Sanity will not allow you to stay in condition red indefinitely.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
1. Where to have a gun while in the car, where it is more handy than the door pocket or the arm rest?
I am sure these have been addressed before, but the question does seem to keep coming up.
When I stop for gas or at a rest area there are generally plenty of other cars around so I am not THAT concerned about a car break in. Also, it is a little tricky transferring a handgun from wherever it is stored in the car, onto ones person, when exiting the car. The opposite process of course, when entering the car. My current carry gun is a Ruger LCR which fits very well in my pants pocket, in a pocket holster. However it is almost impossible to reach in a hurry while seated and buckeled in. Similarly, I find a strong side belt carry to be almost impossible to reach with a seat belt fastened. However, a cross draw is easily reached.
Comments?
Peter

Again, carrying IWB at 11 solves the problem. If I'm wearing a buttoned/snap shirt front, I leave a couple buttons (snaps) undone above my waist on the shirt. Instant access whether seated in the truck or outside.

Does this not seem obvious?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19293 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
That's no shit;I had someone steal a shovel out of the back of my truck. A shovel!! Hell all you can do with it is work.

I had some one steal a 100 feet of 5/16 cable out of the back of my truck.

I do not like thieves.

That said 99% of the time I carry my EDC at three o clock in and out of vehicles like I have for the last 40 plus years.

On the job I carried my BUG in a horizontal shoulder holster on my left side very easy access in the cruiser.

Here is a story about that my BUG was a S@W 3913. I was sitting inside my cruiser After having lunch at a local restaurant. I was finishing up some paper work.

When I noticed one of the local bad guys making his way across the parking lot towards me. He and I had a long history. I had plenty of time I could have drew my service weapon..

I could see he had nothing in his hands. I cracked the door in case I had to bail. I rolled down the window. After that I reached into my jacket and wrapped my hand around my bug and popped the release.

I then pushed the muzzle so it cleared my arm and was pointed out the window. The bad guy walked up to the window and starts to berate me about all the times I arrested him and make veiled threats.

He didn't know it but the muzzle was pointed dead center at his sternum.

After I couple of minutes I kindly informed him that he was going to get arrested if he didn't quite down and stop making a disturbance.

He had enough fore sight in his drunken state to shut up and go stumbling off.

During the whole time he never knew he was a trigger pull away from being shot.

Situational awareness aloud me to be prepared and not caught off guard.

Point of this is a shoulder holster is good for vehicle carry.

That situational awareness goes along ways in not having to fight your carry position to get your firearm into action.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
situational awareness goes along ways in not having to fight your carry position to get your firearm into action.

Good point! Personally I find that I have greater awareness of my surroundings when I am carrying! I try to have this awareness on an everyday basis but probably don't always succeed!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Comments?
Peter

Absolutely! A cross draw is perfect for a driver! A friend of mine who posts here and is a retired police officer, carries a Colt 44 mag in a cross draw holster when driving and can reach it in a heart beat when and if needed!

I have a cross draw for a 41 Rem mag Ruger Blackhawk with a 4.5 inch barrel for the same reason. The revolver is easy to get into action if needed and is perfect for road rage stopping!

Never had to use it for that but on hundreds of mile long road trips across west Texas it is a favorite companion!

................................................................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never had to use it for that but on hundreds of mile long road trips across west Texas it is a favorite companion!

To each his own, but I've always preferred an interesting woman. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

To each his own, but I've always preferred an interesting woman. Big Grin

.................................................................. jumping tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always preferred an interesting woman

Nothing like a reality check!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To each his own, but I've always preferred an interesting woman

No matter how interesting after 3 hours some one is tired of putting up with her.

Never had a firearm tell me where to go how to get there and talk about things that have no meaning to a man.

With a hundred more words then was necessary.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
To each his own, but I've always preferred an interesting woman

No matter how interesting after 3 hours some one is tired of putting up with her.

Never had a firearm tell me where to go how to get there and talk about things that have no meaning to a man.

With a hundred more words then was necessary.

Oh well. My "interesting" women don't fit your description, I like 'em. The smarter, the better.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
on hundreds of mile long road trips across west Texas

So, let's have a poll, with the above project in mind, you have a choice between Sarah Palin and Madame Marie Curie, who do you choose?
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that's kind of a loaded question.Both women would be interesting to converse with.#1 right out of the box,let us not deviate into any sexual conotations.Besides they were both married. Marie Curie was one helluva lot smarter than I am,so I doubt that any conversation would be worthwhile (even if I did speak french).Sarah Palin would be better to sit down + talk to as we already have common interests.I enjoy an intellectual conversation but the very term "conversation" conotates discussion from both parties on the same subject;thus if I cannot converse with Marie about medicinal causes + effects + how to cure them;I can talk to Sarah about moose hunting.Hope that helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Madame Curie would be glowing with radiation poisoning. I wouldn't want to be that close to her! Eeker

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote