New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommendations for a daughter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another idea. For Christmas, I received a Keltec 22Win mag. The clip holds (30) rounds. No hammer. Thumb safety. Not to difficult to rack the slide. Very light and shoots where you point it. Carter's Country sells them.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexKill,

Rather hard to conceal. For whoever raised the point about my comment on a .45ACP having a limited recoil, I stand by that. It's a lot less than a M60 with full house .357s, or a .44 Mag., or a .454 Casull, etc.

Posts: 9993 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went along with a 5'0" 120# acquaintance to help her filter through some CCW candidates at a rental range. After Glocks, compact storm Beretta's, Walthers, etc. she settled on a Colt Commander (steel) in .45. She was ultra accurate with it and could easily work the slide to clear problems. I made certain of that. Recoil was not a problem. She exercises on a regular basis but is petite, not a body builder. She likes her .45!

She also thinks bigger is better!

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My wife has a very difficult time manipulating firearms because of RA. As it has gotten worse, she had to give up her beloved PPK/S because it's just too stiff - she can't work the slide or fully seat a magazine any more. So we went on the prowl for a new carry piece. She has no interest in a revolver and wanted an active safety, since that's what she has shot and trained with since buying her PPK/S when she turned 21. I really wanted her to have a 9mm, so that's where we started. After much searching, we got serious about two - the Sig P938 and Taurus PT709 slim. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to work the slide on the 938 as effectively as she wanted, so we went with the Taurus. It worked, but wasn't really what she wanted. She toted it for a while until we found something better. Enter the Sig Sauer P238. When she first held one of these, it was nearly love at first sight. All the features she wanted in a package that she can easily manipulate, accurately shoot, and quickly reload. Yes it's only a .380, but she actually carries it and likes to shoot it well enough that she practices. I'd rather she have a firearm that she's proficient with than one she carries grudgingly because it's more powerful, so, a .380 it is.

Have your daughter check out the little Sigs (P938 and P238). They are very nice firearms that seem tailor made for small hands and easy concealment.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ram, I will.

Posts: 9993 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
My wife has a very difficult time manipulating firearms because of RA. As it has gotten worse, she had to give up her beloved PPK/S because it's just too stiff - she can't work the slide or fully seat a magazine any more. So we went on the prowl for a new carry piece. She has no interest in a revolver and wanted an active safety, since that's what she has shot and trained with since buying her PPK/S when she turned 21. I really wanted her to have a 9mm, so that's where we started. After much searching, we got serious about two - the Sig P938 and Taurus PT709 slim. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to work the slide on the 938 as effectively as she wanted, so we went with the Taurus. It worked, but wasn't really what she wanted. She toted it for a while until we found something better. Enter the Sig Sauer P238. When she first held one of these, it was nearly love at first sight. All the features she wanted in a package that she can easily manipulate, accurately shoot, and quickly reload. Yes it's only a .380, but she actually carries it and likes to shoot it well enough that she practices. I'd rather she have a firearm that she's proficient with than one she carries grudgingly because it's more powerful, so, a .380 it is.

Have your daughter check out the little Sigs (P938 and P238). They are very nice firearms that seem tailor made for small hands and easy concealment.

I'm glad you wife found a weapon she is comfortable with.

However, not to point out the obvious, but all she has to do with a 9mm of whatever brand is let you load it, put the safety on (unless it's a Glock), and carry it. Same thing on the range if she wants to practice. The ability to work the slide and seat a magazine certainly would be nice but are not at all necessary for a defensive weapon. In modern day, the number of times a female private citizen has used a 7 or more shot weapon in DEFENSE and has had the necessity to reload to continue her defense is probably nearly zero.

Personally, I leave fully loaded weapons all over the house when I'm gone that my wife might not know all about, nor have the ability to reload, BUT she damn sure knows how to aim and pull the trigger. I just tell her to shoot until the problem is gone or down, whichever comes first. That's enough AFA I'm concerned. YMMV.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I discussed it with my wife...she shoots a Glock with ease..

When I mentioned this thread and said PP/PPK and S&W 36/60 are frequently mentioned her comment was:

" Why should I carry one of those when its 17 cartridges in the Glock magazine..?? "

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
Yup, that is the reason revolvers are so great for women (and men). No slide to retract, no safety to operate, no wondering if there is a round in the chamber, no limp wristing induced jams, no remembering how to clear different types of jams, no ejecting dud rounds. YANK AND CRANK (times 5 or 6) with zero jams (and quickly skipping dud rounds) is what you want in a stressful situation. Especially for those who do not practice regularly.

The problem with revolvers is that if you do get a malfunction, you are done. And you won't be reloading it, period.

People who aren't willing to learn to shoot shouldn't have guns.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with revolvers is that if you do get a malfunction, you are done. And you won't be reloading it, period.

Their are malfunctions causes in revolvers that can be cleared then the revolver is reloaded.

There are malfunctions in auto loaders that can be critical and well cause the auto to be unusable.

I have carried both in harms way and felt comfortable with each kind.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'm glad you wife found a weapon she is comfortable with.

However, not to point out the obvious, but all she has to do with a 9mm of whatever brand is let you load it, put the safety on (unless it's a Glock), and carry it. Same thing on the range if she wants to practice. The ability to work the slide and seat a magazine certainly would be nice but are not at all necessary for a defensive weapon. In modern day, the number of times a female private citizen has used a 7 or more shot weapon in DEFENSE and has had the necessity to reload to continue her defense is probably nearly zero.

Personally, I leave fully loaded weapons all over the house when I'm gone that my wife might not know all about, nor have the ability to reload, BUT she damn sure knows how to aim and pull the trigger. I just tell her to shoot until the problem is gone or down, whichever comes first. That's enough AFA I'm concerned. YMMV.

All good points, and ones I tried to make to her at the time. As I'm sure you know though, women can be just as opinionated and bull-headed as we men Smiler, and mine's a good example. She's bound and determined to be able to operate all the features of her carry gun. And it's the one she practices and qualifies with too, activities that I'm not always there for.

Oddly enough, she can easily manipulate all the controls on my old well-used Para Ordnance P14, a giant double stack 1911. I guess it's just loose enough now, and with big enough parts to get a grip on, that she can work it. However, it's not a practical concealed carry piece for a rather dainty woman. Big Grin

She's also comfortable enough with my other defensive arms to grab and go, but once the mag is empty, she's probably out. She just wanted to be more self-supporting when it came to her primary carry gun.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J frame smith in 2" or 3" in 38 special. RELIABLE, accurate, enough power and will not jam or malfunction in a very close encounter where it will most likely be needed. Also, a short barrel that an opponent would have a hard time trying to take away if he gets too close. Simple manual of arms. Easy to get ammo for. If she is already a good shot it will be easy to learn and train with. The choice of MANY LEOs for backup and off duty for all reasons above. Did I mention easy to conceal ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get one that works all the time.

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.c...h-to-save-woman.html

Tracy Williams does not appear to have had much experience with firearms. It was a desperate situation that drove her to buy guns and take a CCW class. She had broken up with her boyfriend, who had a long criminal record. He had kidnapped her, she had escaped and filed charges. He was out on $75,000 bail when he attacked her three weeks later.

During that period she had obtained the firearms and a concealed carry permit. North Carolina requires an 8 hour course, including live fire, and an $80 non-refundable fee to obtain a permit.

From abc7chicago.com:

Green said Williams shot her ex as he attacked her around 5 p.m. in the parking lot of a Food Lion on U.S. 1 near a Cash Points ATM. Police said Williams' gun then jammed and Yarborough fatally shot her.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found Williams in front of the ATM with two guns, while the suspect's gun was missing. They believe she was trying to defend herself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for a revolver as a CCW. I was out last week practicing El Presidente and the gun jammed. First time in years. Yes, I cleared the gun and continued shooting but if there had been 3 armed assailants I would have been toast. Yes, yes, I know that it is just an exercise, you should take cover etc. etc. yada, yada yada, but if I had been returning from an ATM and been approached by 3 bad guys my options are somewhat limited. I shoot every week. I wonder how many times Tracy Williams had shot her gun since she "qualified". When I got my CCW in Florida, live fire was not even required although in the class I took we did shoot the guns we expected to carry. I know because I had a Star 9mm and the front sight flew off after the first couple of rounds!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
quote:
Originally posted by Shootshellz:
Yup, that is the reason revolvers are so great for women (and men). No slide to retract, no safety to operate, no wondering if there is a round in the chamber, no limp wristing induced jams, no remembering how to clear different types of jams, no ejecting dud rounds. YANK AND CRANK (times 5 or 6) with zero jams (and quickly skipping dud rounds) is what you want in a stressful situation. Especially for those who do not practice regularly.

People who aren't willing to learn to shoot shouldn't have guns.

True enough in theory, but in real life if a civilian needs a reload for the types of criminal activity we're likely to encounter we didn't bring enough gun no matter how many magazines we have. For police or private professional security I would agree with you.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the asshole who started all this got out of prison a month ago and I got the first threatening e-mail today. He blames me for putting him in prison the last time (he has 10 felony convictions that I had nothing to do with). I filed a police report today. He made the mistake of threatening my daughter.

My PI is tracking his every move and he's going back to jail as soon as possible. Everyone is armed and prepared to defend themselves.

one of us
posted Hide Post
lavaca, I am sure you know more than I do but I would suggest a restraining order for both yourself and your daughter. This will of course make absolutely no difference to his behavior, but should put the law on your side in the event that things go South.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

You are totally correct, it will not alter his behavior, but all of that is in the works. Plus, I now know where he lives. That's a game changer. He's hanging out of state, which means he can't get to me, but I can get to him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a revolver for all of the reasons already listed. Unless she already has a choice, in which case go with that.

There is a 911 call on the web that is kind of famous now. The woman is on the phone with 911 dispatch as her stalker breaks into her house. Then as she is barricaded in her bedroom he smashes his way through that door. She is screaming for help as he strangles her. She puts 2 slugs in his chest with a revolver somebody lent her because she was scared. She didn't even own a gun. I'll bet her training was zero. 2 good shots at 0 feet under horrible conditions.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Another vote for a revolver for all of the reasons already listed. Unless she already has a choice, in which case go with that.

There is a 911 call on the web that is kind of famous now. The woman is on the phone with 911 dispatch as her stalker breaks into her house. Then as she is barricaded in her bedroom he smashes his way through that door. She is screaming for help as he strangles her. She puts 2 slugs in his chest with a revolver somebody lent her because she was scared. She didn't even own a gun. I'll bet her training was zero. 2 good shots at 0 feet under horrible conditions.

There are many self defense shootings out there where the defender had little or no training.

Does that make it ideal no, did it work yes, would having some training be better most likely but it is hard to argue with success.

Personally I think if one has a firearm for defense one should have some training in its use.

Put then as a professional Firearms instructor and self-defense trainer. I think the more training the better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't trying to suggest training isn't needed. I could have made my point a little better. My point was that in this shooting that actually happened, the revolver worked under terrible conditions and that's why I think revolvers can be a good choice. No safety to remember, no slide to foul on clothing. Both of those would have probably caused failures for a semi-auto in this one situation.
I like stacking all the odds in our favor as much as we can. But having a gun in the first place is probably more useful than the details.

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:

There are many self defense shootings out there where the defender had little or no training.

Does that make it ideal no, did it work yes, would having some training be better most likely but it is hard to argue with success.

Personally I think if one has a firearm for defense one should have some training in its use.

Put then as a professional Firearms instructor and self-defense trainer. I think the more training the better.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Revolvers do have many advantages I like an use both.