New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conceited Carry for older guys?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just how effective is the 38 super cartridge. I’m considering a colt lightweight commander in 38 super.

I’m getting arthritis in my hands and at 76 I’ve had to cut back on the larger calibers I’ve always used.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very when loaded with proper expanding bullets.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
X2, the 38 Super is a fine round. I am still somewhat biased on the amenia of the 380, although I admit that the factory ammo is now a bit better than in the past. Also just read the article in the new American Rifleman on Federals new 30 super carry. Interesting but not sure I want to bet my life on it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pastorp, I have arthritis in my thumbs as well from years of operating tin snips. Do you use Glucosamine? That will help.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Just how effective is the 38 Super cartridge?"

Damn effective. Especially if you're down range and unlucky enough to look down and discover one rattling around inside your pelvic girdle. So, too, would be a 22 long rifle 47gr round nose lead bullet that pings off a rib and spirals downward through your intestines and comes out your ass.

First find a gun you can shoot.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
X2, the 38 Super is a fine round. I am still somewhat biased on the amenia of the 380, although I admit that the factory ammo is now a bit better than in the past. Also just read the article in the new American Rifleman on Federals new 30 super carry. Interesting but not sure I want to bet my life on it.

I read that article the other day. It doesn’t seem to be in the mainstream, as a Nighthawk was used to test. Those start at $4k plus.

As a kid, I remember the .38 Super being the caliber of IPSC shooters and banditos. Isn’t it like a 9x23? A 9mm +P+ ballistics?

I posed the question somewhere in this forum and it’s an interesting cartridge. The .30 Super Carry is as well, but is it answering an un asked question or what was posed in the article?

The 38 super seemed cool, until I got my hands on a 10mm, but that’s not fir arthritic hands.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a kid, I remember the .38 Super being the caliber of IPSC shooters and banditos. Isn’t it like a 9x23? A 9mm +P+ ballistics?

I posed the question somewhere in this forum and it’s an interesting cartridge. The .30 Super Carry is as well, but is it answering an un asked question or what was posed in the article?

Any 9mm, 357 dia. bullet of the same weight and construction. Traveling at about the same velocity yields about the same results.

I would carry the 30 super carry with out reservations in most parts of the country.

In big bear country I would prefer something more powerful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would older guys need a limp holster?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

???

I don't know how to draw pictures on here

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 38 super was a favorite of mine early on and still would be if I could find one, A colt comander lwt would be ideal, or even just the all steel comander...Some of these outfits would do well to trash the new 30 and just go to the super..but don't forget the 9mm, its an awesome caliber in the self defence catagory with the right ammo it can't be beat..

Like you I can;t shoot the big bore revolvers these days..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pastorp:
Just how effective is the 38 super cartridge. I’m considering a colt lightweight commander in 38 super.

I’m getting arthritis in my hands and at 76 I’ve had to cut back on the larger calibers I’ve always used.

Any ideas, suggestions?
My 5'2" wife, 76 yrs old, has arthritis in both hands as well. She selected a Sig Sauer 9mm P365X due to her small hands. I've replaced the grip module with a Wilson Combat grip module and have added a PMM barrel/compensator combo. She shots 115gr very well, and the 124gr due to the compensator, and after six months of preparation has successfully completed her LTC course and should have her license in a month or so.

My recommendation, find a new, or newer, 9mm that fits your hand properly and is concealable. With proper hollow point ammunition with matching FMJ practice ammunition and you should be good to go.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 68 and have arthritis bad in both hands due to an injury in my youth. I find the Springfield EMP series 1911 very easy to grip and control, shooting 147 HST rounds. My every day carry piece.

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You old farts keep in mind YOU JUST CANT RELOAD A GUN IN A GUNFIGHT YOUR TOO DAMN SHAKY.. I FOUND THAT OUT 50 YEARS AGO! rotflmo THAT AINT FUNNY!

CARRY A HIGH CAPACITY PISTOL...I LIKE THE BROWNING hp OR THE SPRINGIELD sa-35 THAT I JUST SCORED 15 PLUS 1..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hi-Power has always been a splendid choice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Dan Wesson guardian in 38 super.
I will hold 10 in the magazin (wilson Combat) and one in the chamber.
Shooting Underwood 125 gold dots.
Nice light handgun.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The only concealed carry gun that does you any good is what you routinely carry. Period! Doesn't matter if you have quad-50's back in the truck.

My EDC are pocket guns. And since I never leave home wearing something that doesn't have a pocket I always have them with me. My favorites are an alloy 38 special revolver and a Kel-Tech 3-AT (that goes bang with whatever .380 ammo I put in it).

I want two shots for sure. A handgun's purpose is to give you the ability to fight your way to a rifle.

And I have a drawer full of leather rigs to pack handguns that were sexy until I found myself going to the store without them.

Today I'd suggest a Ruger LCP and good ammo. KISS

NOTE: I've been EDC since June 1973

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wifezilla just switched from a 45 to 9mm because of the arthritis in her hands. I switched from a 45ACP 1911 to a polymer 40S&W because the 1911 was just too heavy to be comfortable all day.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
You old farts keep in mind YOU JUST CANT RELOAD A GUN IN A GUNFIGHT YOUR TOO DAMN SHAKY.. I FOUND THAT OUT 50 YEARS AGO! rotflmo THAT AINT FUNNY!

CARRY A HIGH CAPACITY PISTOL...I LIKE THE BROWNING hp OR THE SPRINGIELD sa-35 THAT I JUST SCORED 15 PLUS 1..

How about just an extra revolver?

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt makes a good point, as opposed to caliber etc pick a gun you will carry all the time and most are too damn big..I invariably go to my air weight Chief special with plus P Plus ammo.. I have several larger calibers but in retirement don't really feel the need for a larger gun or a gunfight for that matter..but Idaho bandits are weak hearted, so I feel safe..

I also think you retired LE guys or whatever should ditch the holster..hide your gun in your waist band or jacket whatever, don't make any fast moves, slip it out and shoot the bad guy in the back of the head while he yells at someone else in the resturant of bar...survival 101 an exposed weapon or bulge whatever can get you killed before the fun begins..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I turned 70 this past summer and I have my "old age" carry gun already, it's a Browning 1911-380, easy to rack slide, light recoil, and easy to carry IWB or out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried a colt 38 super during my employment on the Texas border and in Mexico with DEA..I witnessed two drug dealers killed by Mexican police with 38 supers, hard ball ammo goig very fast, both one shot kills or rather one hit kills and a number of misses, the old pray and spray of the Mex feds is damned effective..It was impressive..a very popular gun with most of the Mexican, and they should know, they use their guns a bunch!! shocker

BTW I just acquired a really nice 38 Super with pearl grips.. Now to find a box or two of Hollow points..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
the most compact carry gun out there is the CSX 9MM Luger, Smith and wesson, its a striker gun and works just like a 1911 colr, holds 12 rounds in one clip and 10 in the other..real compact but fairly heavy as its all steel, it would work as a club if needed and it sucks up recoil, carries as well as my old stand by chiefs special..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware of the clips in autos if your getting long in the tooth, Its damn near impossible to load those strong clips, this just may be a good reason for the chief special IMO for arthritic hands. At least keep the second clip with the gun.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
One may have to invest in a loading tool

one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog, didn't know they still made them, for all autos or specific? where can I find them..Id love to have at least per auto??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Upstate greg, makes mention of a Browning 1911 380, a slicl little gun that also comes in 22 L.R. I had one in 22 and loved it but the grip safety didnt work for me, but worked for others..later my gunsmith told me he could tig weld a pad on the grip saftey ans solve that problem, so I may purchase another one, this time perhaps in .380. Sure like those pretty little easy to pack guns..but a clip full of 22s has merit.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Upstate greg, makes mention of a Browning 1911 380, a slicl little gun that also comes in 22 L.R. I had one in 22 and loved it but the grip safety didnt work for me, but worked for others..later my gunsmith told me he could tig weld a pad on the grip saftey ans solve that problem, so I may purchase another one, this time perhaps in .380. Sure like those pretty little easy to pack guns..but a clip full of 22s has merit.

I have the 1911-22 Browning as well as the 380. I use it for my club's bullseye shooting. I do find I need a firm grip to make sure I've got the grip safety off so it will go bang.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt Norman's post on Oct. 3 is spot on. We all have read on the internet accounts of young guys who profess that they always carry not only their primary large cap gun, but spare mags, and perhaps a backup too. I doubt that this happens with much regularity. Imagine you're mowing the lawn when your wife asks you to get some bread. How many guys will change from his shorts and tee shirt, then put on pants, a shirt, and maybe a vest, then get strapped, just so you can go get a loaf of bread. Just wait until you're 70 or more, think you're going to do that? If you are like me, you won't. Fancy holsters, optical sights, max round capacity, etc. all that tech stuff becomes less relevant to real life. Get a gun you can shoot. Practice until you can hit what you aim at, put it in a pocket holster, then carry it religiously wherever it is legally possible to do so.

NRA - The only organization in America that gets blamed for actions that none of its members commit!

Posts: 66 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. The gun you have with you, regardless of caliber or power, is more effective than the one you left at home. I used to carry an old S+W model 1917 w/ snake shot when we were baling hay. It was just fine + after a while you got used to wearing it, + no it was not concealed, but if I had to go to town for a beer run or whatever, it was easy to leave in the truck. (Not necessary these days, now that we have open carry.)

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every good guy that packs should invest in a Ruger LCP at 10 ounces, a double action auto, 6 shot the size of a playing card thats so damn easy to pack and you could wear it in your jammy pockets if amind to. Most folks tend to leave a pistol in the car or pickup and at home most of the time..Give this 380 a try, my billfold is harder to pack than this deadly midget with the Plus P plus ammo on todays market..I like the double action for daily use and one up the tube makes everything better, a decent double action pull thats safer I suggest..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when I used to do a lot of backpacking in Boquious, I carried a Charter Arms 44 spl. It weighed 28 oz. + at that time was the most firepower V/S weight that was available. When you are hiking through the desert for a week at a time, weight is a paramount concern + water is the primary, + everything else secondary, except weapons IMO. It was illegal to bring a firearm into Big Bend, but I was not concerned with the law. Self-protection was my main concern, there + here. Concerning the law, the old adage applies, "I would rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6."

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
CZ 75 P01 Omega is hard to beat..i like the large capacity mags.. .the Girsan copy of my HiPower is great after a trigger job... hi capacity 9mm... I've been a Colt 1911 guy all my life... Govt models, Combat Commanders, Officers model... got 'em all..9's, 45's, .38 super.... Smith 39's and 59's.. got those too..like the 15 round 59.. . AMT Hardballer and a Longslide.. plenty of revolvers... Smiths''' 642's, 2" Lew Horton 24.. 2" 66, 6" 66..., 4" 29-2.. also the small North American in .22 mag... Baby Browning and AMT Backups in a half dozen different calibers.. from .22 lr to .45 acp..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, glad you found a Lew Horton 24. If I had known that mine was going to be stolen, I would have sold you mine. I'd rather you had it than a thief.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone consider the Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP as a valid carry gun?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Anyone consider the Charter Arms Pitbull in 45 ACP as a valid carry gun?

I consider Charter arms on the very low end of what one should buy or carry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that hey are south of S+W in a "quality" piece, however, I have had good results over the years with a CA in 44 spl. I am primarily a S+W fan, but I do own both. To each their own. Personal preference is like a Ford V/S Chevy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The Pit Bull is a little broad in the hips and a little less concealable than the very adequate Bulldog in .44 Special.
The guys who suggest a little .380 that you are actually likely to be carrying when you need it make some pretty good sense.
That said, I am very interested in the new EAA/Girsan Highpower MCP35 PI Ops "carry gun" profiled in the June issue of American Rifleman. I usually just yawn when another 9 hits the market, but this one seems to punch a lot of buttons.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
A compact 9mm will be easier to find ammo for and can be both small and light enough for you carry constantly. The slide will fairly easy to cycle which I know as I get older will become an issue for me from the abuse my hands and wrists have taken.

Posts: 30 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote