Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Jordan and Ej Mcgiven
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bill Jordan and Ej Mcgiven amaze me.

A nice old video on the truck shooters of yesteryear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HOeEAY3nNKk&t=3208s

Posts: 10837 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
They were some great shooters. I have their books + was fortunate to have met Bill Jordan in the 70s + had him autograph mine. Herb Parsons was one fine shotgunner + it's a pity that we don't have those kinds of traveling shooting displays anymore. Another sign of the times.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were some great shooters. I have their books + was fortunate to have met Bill Jordan in the 70s + had him autograph mine. Herb Parsons was one fine shotgunner + it's a pity that we don't have those kinds of traveling shooting displays anymore. Another sign of the times.

AMEN!! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember as a child going with my father to a Remington shooting event promoting the Nylon 66 22 rifle. Whoever the guy was did an excellent job of hitting various targets.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, we don't have travelling shooting displays anymore, but we do have IPSC, IDPA matches where we have some pretty decent shooters competing. These competitors, or at least the top dogs, are the cutting edge of pistol shooting, just as Bill Jordan was many years ago. People like Bill Rogers have continued this tradition is their shooting schools.
Peter.
PS. I still have my Nylon 66 rifle!

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Fast and Fancy Shooting" that was the video formerly available through the NRA.

One of the best videos ever.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember the Remington 66 shooting demos too. They traveled around the country and were covered in the Big Three outdoor magazines of the day. They guys used to shoot wooden blocks, about 3" square thrown into the air, sometimes 3 at a time. I think I recall one guy shooting over a 1000 without missing.

Jordon was a great shooter in his day. But there is a little known dark spot in his past. He had an AD in his office once that killed a Border Patrol agent sitting in an adjoining room.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why we call them accidents. No one wants to. I recall when Jeff Cooper shot out his own TV screen w/ a 44 mag simply by the repetition of snapping at commercials. It only takes once.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill Jordan quick drew when someone said draw real loud and Bill reacted and killed another agent in the El Paso, Tx office...I was a young deputy sheriff in El Paso..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, I remember those two guys. They were amazing. Bill Jordan was a big tall handsome guy and Ed McGivern was short and round, as I remember. Ed McGivern could sure empty a S&W 38 in a hurry and shoot a good group in the process. He was quick.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill Jordan had many displays but one of the ones I liked best was him holding his hand over his holster with a ping pong ball on the web of his hand. He would draw + fire (accurately) + the ping pong ball would fall into the holster.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction: I was a deputy in El Paso and Bill was stationed there, but the incident took place in California a short time after I left El Paso as a US Custom Agent to McAllen Texas and Bill went to CAlifornia I guess..Bill was a fine person and a gentleman, it was a bad deal for sure..It shouldn't have happened, but it did and does..fate plays a big hand in our lives, but for the grace of God there be I..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote