THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PERSONAL DEFENSE FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still makes THIS 12 gauge 2.75-inch #1 buckshot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A decade ago, at least Winchester, Remington, and Federal manufactured a superb defense ammunition. Without getting into nuances of each version, the basic information is this.

12 gauge, 2.75-inch, 4-dram equivalent, #1 buckshot, 20 pellets .

I have searched with three Internet search engines, and Ammoseek. But I cannot identify any manufacturer of this load. And no search included powder charge level - that is, I do not care what is its power level. I care about 20 #1 buckshot pellets.

If you know of a source of 12 gauge 2.75-inch shot shells having a payload of 20 #1 buckshot pellets, please let me know.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
12 gauge, 2.75-inch, 4-dram equivalent, #1 buckshot

Are you sure it had 20 pellets #1? All I find in 2 3/4 #1 has 12 or 16 pellets. It is a helluva step up in wt from 12 to 20. Not doubting what you're saying, just asking.

However, Winchester is still making a 3 inch 24 pellet #1 buck load.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are not remembering things quite right.

#1 buck is about 40 grains a pellet.

For 20, you are talking about 800 grains or about 1 7/8 oz (that is 820 gr) of shot excluding the fact that buck doesn't pack as well as birdshot.

That would be a 3" shell profile.

The old short mags were 1 5/8 oz of birdshot and were in the 4 dram area. No one sells those anymore, and you can't find any current load manual that does that.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A roll turnover would give you an extra 3/8" in the shell. A shorter driving wad maybe another 3/8" extra room. It might, just, possibly be achievable?

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have several boxes of '80s vintage Winchester 2 3/4' Magnums with 20 #1s from my dog driving days. The made them in both plated and unplated and they were a heck of a deer load. Alas, you can only get the 16 pellet standard load these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCGunNut:
I still have several boxes of '80s vintage Winchester 2 3/4' Magnums with 20 #1s from my dog driving days. The made them in both plated and unplated and they were a heck of a deer load. Alas, you can only get the 16 pellet standard load these days.

PM sent

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote