New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grip Safety - thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I really like the grip safety on the 1911 and Springfield pistols. I really like this option when carrying cocked & locked. I have a beautiful Browning Hi-Power, but I always have the thought of that safety coming off, so I tend not to carry it.

Posts: 219 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes no and maybe.

I carry both off and on I personally see no different.

I think the browning high power is one of the nicest handling pistols out there.

If the safety comes off one still has to pull the trigger to make it fire a round.

Posts: 19294 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the grip saftey as a final fall safe, but do not trust it as it only blocks the trigger travel and not the sear on a standard 1911 (the Swartz safety acts off the grip safety think Kimber).

I have never had the grip safety not disengage even with more “GI” grip safteys. And I have tried to cause an issue holding the gun with just my middle finger around the grip and palm on the grip saftey with just the bottom of the pad.

I need more beavertail then a standard Hi Power, otherwise like it,

In the old days, I think they used thumb break holsters to block the hammer in case the sear failed and carried with the thumb saftey off on 1911. The British Singapore police used 1911s but added a pin to keep the thump saftey disengaged. Both practices I am sure are frowned upon now. In all honestly, I see know issue with a good thumb break holster blocking the hammer and the thump saftey being disengaged. Many will find many issues with that carry with a single action pistol.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
i remember the story of the Texas Ranger that had a leather strap around the grip safety + some one asked him,was'nt that dangerous to which he replied,I sure hope so. LHeym,Cylinder + Slide does beavertails in their custom shop on the Hi Power.They are a sweet pistol. I sold my last Belgium one to Gato about a year before he passed.I carry a 1911 so I know I don't need another Hi-Power but then what has need ever had to do with it?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This could, and probably will, cause a debate here, but the Israeli Carry was common with the HP. However, those cats train more in a month or less than we would in a lifetime.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do + for damned good reason.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never liked the grip safety, lots of folks used to use electical tape to insure the guns actually worked when the trigger was pulled. The hi power fixed this permanently.Just a thought

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've carried both for years, I still prefer the Brownign HiPower 9mm to any pistol out there today...its not plastic for one reason and its never failed to fire, never jammed even after at least 3000 rounds and most of all I can load the Browning on Sunday and shoot til Saturday night..Loading, even a clip is no fun in a gun fight and clips never seem to fit the hole under stress!! Roll Eyes ..The 45 works as well but its been worked over on several occasions and only 7 shots, and nobodys carries a second clip Ive noticed over the years!!! diggin

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41725 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a 1911 A1 in my truck with 2 extra mags loaded with Black Talons.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I keep a 1911 A1 in my truck with 2 extra mags loaded with Black Talons.

I have some boxes of 45 black talons some place.

Posts: 19294 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you want to sell them. I buy them whenever I can find them.A good round to carry. I reload but I carry only factory per Massad's advice.I also keep the box they came in.I've heard too many horror stories about prosecuters to take any chances.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Federal 230 gr. HP is the best 45 round Ive seen used on humans..The sell high dollar in Mexico to the Mex Feds..they are the experts on pistol killing, they shoot lots of people.. faint

As for prosecuters, Id rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6...

Ive pinned the grip safety on my 1911 in the past, today I don't, if its the round model not the straight model grip safety..carried my Browning enough to be comfortable with with or without a grip safty on my 1911..both have worked without fault for many years..Sometimes we make to big a deal over nothing IMO..I see these tricked out 45s that are almost all a disaster..all a 1911 combat gun needs is a trigger job and a fitted barrel, open the slot a tad, that's aobut it, the more your put on them the more it will fail and always at the wrong time..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41725 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the 1911, grip safety & all.

Would not let lack of a grip safety keep from toting a BHP, another terrific design. I also would not have a problem toting a CZ75 C&L.

Regards,

roo_ster

"We live in an unreasonable age, ruled by ridiculous people."
----Zman

Posts: 61 | Location: Texas | Registered: 12 June 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The grip safety is an additional blessing + curse, it works well if you don't limp wrist your piece, otherwise, you'll have problems when you don't want them. I agree about the CZ 75, that is a fine pistol. I got my introduction from Jeff Cooper when he went on about what a great design it was, + for anyone who knows, for the Colonel to say anything glowing about a 9mm is worth checking out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some great pistols out there and they are made of steel, the others are made by Matel toy factory out of plastic...I know, im a century behind, but Id rather be old than carry a damn glock...A colt 1911, a Browing HP, a cz and for tiny carry a PPKS, but today I keep S&W chief special lt. wt. and Ive shot and carry hot handloads in it without a problem even though its not recommended..Id say just don't shoot hot loads in it on a regular bases, perhaps....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, a few years ago I was visiting a buddy down in East Texas + when we were driving around in the evening there was an elderly couple taking their evening walk. My friend looked at them + said," He has a S+W 38 in the pocket of his leisure suit." I didn't doubt it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 45 1911, the grips are gold and Silver engraved that at one time belong to the infamous San Antonio Drug dealer, Fred Carrasco, who was killed by a Texas Ranger while attempting to escape Huntsville Prison..Fred killed two or three people including a female or two as I recall..I was one of the undercover agents in his demise..The grips were given to me my a Mexican Federal Officer who got in a consultation with Fred early on..I cherish those grips..but my choice has always been a Browning HP, and Ive had it about 60 years, it was given to me by Texas State Norcotics Sgt. Johnny Koonts, a late dear friend, Most of my pistol have a story and thus remained in my possession for that reason, as Im a gun whore trader of firearms.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, are you talking about Jose Carrasco in the mid-70s Huntsville attempted prison break? A buddy of mine was from Huntsville + knew some of the murdered guards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, we kind of got off the point (which happens here frequently) but while I like the 1911 with the grip safety, I am also comfortable with the Hi-Power without one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I tend to grip my pistol like my life depends on it, with both hands, and up as hard and high on the grip frame as I can manage.

So, I have never had any problem depressing the grip safety on any 1911, even the ones without the bumps on them.

Still, I don't think grip safeties are the least bit necessary and don't miss them at all on pistols without them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13306 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norm,
Yes sir, Fred Carrasco not Jose, I made several undercover buys of cocaine and Heroin from that whole clan when I was in DEA in Houston, San Antonio and on the border. The Mex feds I worked with gave me the grips after his death at Huntsville by a Texas Ranger..The grips are gold and silver engraved and have monograms, one of which broke off when the Feds got in a gun fight with him in Laredo Mexico, and he dropped the gun..I treasure those grips, that was one hot investigation, with the worst of the bad..We shot Fred in the leg and let the police take the case and send him to Huntsville..They made him a trustee, we all wrote letters to Huntsville warning them not to allow that, they did and paid a dear price in lives of employees...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120