Saddest event I have seen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is so tragic

https://www.columbian.com/news...onds-after-arriving/

Worth seeing whole video.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed,I did'nt have the heart to watch the video.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, first of all I AM NOT AN LEO. My comments are based solely on what I CONSIDER COMMON SENSE. First, it is unfortunate that the female on the 911 call could not/would not give a description of what Officer Sohota was wearing. Even in the beginning before anything escalated, she didn't provide the requested information. Secondly it seems that shooting at someone entering a house, as the deputy did, without any idea of what is behind where his bullets will go is pretty reckless. What if there were kids running to the front door to see what their dad was doing?; what if the female was coming to the door? I realize there is a lot of stress in being in law enforcement, but from all the written commentary, it appears that no one knew who anyone was for sure. To just start shooting, to me, is a very dangerous thing to do and can end up in tragedy, as this incident did. Lastly, again without knowing who was who, why would you tell someone to go back into the house after they were outside with numerous firearms pointed their way? Again, what if there had been other people, or worse, kids in the house? Again, I AM NOT AN LEO, NEVER BEEN IN THIS SITUATION, but do believe that there were a lot of common sense issues totally ignored here. I also think that Segura should have been charged in the death of Sohota, as without his actions, it wouldn't have happened.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same issue but similar (concerning SWAT teams) was Col. Coopers thoughts were that when guys break into your house wearing sky masks, there is only one REAL responce.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Not exactly the same issue but similar (concerning SWAT teams) was Col. Coopers thoughts were that when guys break into your house wearing sky masks, there is only one REAL responce.

...................AMEN!
................. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
There was a time early on in my 42+ year LEO career that I would armchair quarterback events that I wasn't at. Then I had some 'busy minute' situations including a partner getting shot and bullets whizzing in my direction. The next day I overheard some officers (that weren't there) critiquing what they would have done had they been there. After that I reserved judgement on situations I was not at.

Caveat #1: Common Sense often goes out the window when adrenalin is flowing in a hyper situation

Caveat #2: LEO's are subject to human frailties in such hyper situations and can indeed do dumb stuff (like use your sidearm when you meant to use a taser). LEO's aren't hired from some other planet or an island somewhere.

Caveat #3: Yes, LEO's get training. But it's very hard to create any training scenario with the same intensity of the hyper situations

All that said it wouldn't surprise me if the officer that jumped out and started shooting isn't criminally charged.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am not and have never been a police officer.

How does one decide, in a split second, if he needs to kill someone to save himself or someone else?

That is perhaps the hardest choice anyone can ever be forced to make.

If the wrong choice is made, innocent life will be lost.

If the right choice is made, innocent life will be saved.

I am not inclined to second guess decisions that must be made in a fraction of a second when the choice is a matter of life and death.

Awful things happened here.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13376 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote